UConn Administration Caught Off-guard | The Boneyard

UConn Administration Caught Off-guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The ACC was also taken by complete surprise. Mr. Manual's qoute sums up everyone's reaction except for the highest levels of the BIG and MD adiminstration.

Reaction Score
This is handled by Herbst and her ass't. Much ado about Manuel. The way this is done at UConn is at the Presidential level.

Reaction Score
sorry I call BS on this thread and its title. I don't expect SH/WM to have moles in the offices of every conference comish. I do expect them to have a plan in place once they get wind something is brewing. I suspect that went into action Friday.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but what is the AD going to do even if he had known? You don't think the ACC knows we want that spot already? You don't think Warde has put calls in to his alma mater and others testing the water on the Big 10 already? The B1G chose RU and whether he knew or not matters so little.

Reaction Score
Everyone outside the Big Ten was surprised by this, at the micro level. No one in the sports world was surprised at this at the macro level (more conference realignment).

One thing we know is that UConn (and LV and Cincy and RU and USF) have been making their cases to all the other conferences waiting for the next round of expansion to occur. So what that they didn't know it would be at the end of the '12 season rather than the '13 season.

I am still assuming that the fact that neither Malloy nor Herbst are saying anything, as opposed to how they acted 15 months ago, tells us all we need to know.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I imagine they were surprised when they first heard, which was probably 2-3 weeks ago.

Reaction Score
The Big10 actually awards bowls according to finish.

Ralph Friedgen finished 3rd in the ACC a few years ago.

What bowl was Maryland given?

Add that treatment to the B10 payout to the long, long history of Maryland already flirting with the B10 (from the early 90s) and I am not shocked at all.

I think I've regularly stated in my posts over the last several years that Maryland--of all schools--was the one most in play. "I told you so!"? Yes.

So, if I knew, I'm not sure that many others didn't. (Obviously, I didn't know it was going down now, but if I were an insider, I would have known about Fox buying YES, the bad feelings about ND to the ACC and cancelling longtime rivalries, and I might've perked my ears up).

U

UConn9604

Warde is in an unfamiliar place here and to me, it should scare people. This quote sums up my concerns as it sounds like he/UConn were taken by surprise:

"I anticipated more movement, not necessarily this soon, but, hey, that's the world we find ourselves in," he said.

I would bet that Warde Manuel's reaction and level of knowledge when the Maryland/Rutgers news broke was no different than those of half the athletic directors in the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
sorry I call BS on this thread and its title. I don't expect SH/WM to have moles in the offices of every conference comish. I do expect them to have a plan in place once they get wind something is brewing. I suspect that went into action Friday.
Right, this is a ridiculous thread/title. These discussions are basically held in private until the decision gets to the Board/Trustee level when it becomes public.

I'll trust that they are doing (and have done) all they can to this point.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine being a Maryland fan and finding out? Most of them didn't want to leave the ACC. Suddenly they have to wrap their head around being in an entirely different conference.

Reaction Score
The Maryland administration is very lucky. It was their mismanagement, financial and otherwise, which caused them to need the $$ the Big 10 was all too willing to provide. The Terp fans I'm friends aren't happy about the move but they know the school needs the dough.

Reaction Score
Even though Herbst and the BOT will call the shots on any possible UConn conference move decision, Warde Manual (sic) clearly must not have read the Conference Realignment Manuel (sic). Or, the all knowing Conference Realignment Board. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
A list of other administrations "caught off guard"
FSU
Clemson
GT
Duke
UNC
NC State
Wake
UVA
VT
BC
Miami
SU
Pitt
ND
The ACC offices in NC
Everyone in the media

Surely, MD and RU going to the B1G is Herbst's fault.

Reaction Score
Drama-Queens-R-Contagious.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member