UConn adds H/H with Ole Miss (2027/2028), Liberty (2022/2025) & Home Game versus Sacred Heart (2023) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn adds H/H with Ole Miss (2027/2028), Liberty (2022/2025) & Home Game versus Sacred Heart (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here is a question: When did the FCS team Yale ever play SHU in football?

FYI: SHU is now ranked 107th in FCS
Just spitballing here but maybe because A. They only play 10 games and so only have 3 openings. B. They have a commitment to play a Patriot League team. It is usually Holy Cross who Yale has played fairly regularly since at least the 1930s, C. They try to play 1 game someplace that is attractive to Yale alums outside the northeast. This year they play at Mercer which is 90 minutes from Atlanta. Lots of old Blues inGeorgia. In 1919 they played at Richmond. Another area where Alumni can see the team. But hey, I guess they have lots of grads in Fairfield, too.
Oh and just FYI Yale has scheduled Central Connecticut, another team they never played, for 2023 I think, so maybe SHU shows up in the future too.
Side note #2. Wouldn’t it be cool if Yale beats Mercer, Mercer beats Alabama and we beat Yale? We could claim the National Championship under the Transitive Property of football rule.

Reaction Score
Great to see this but what are the odds Ol' Miss ends up like Tennessee?

Reaction Score
NFC, but unclear why it matters. How, and why, does it matter whether Yale and Sacred Heart ever played a football game?
For the same reasons people on Boneyard think it is so great UConn is playing SHU. It's a nearby college, both are FCS, Yale has been playing football for over a century. If it is so great that UConn is playing SHU why hasn't Yale played them. They do have some flexibility in their schedule. UConn really should be playing the top-ranked FCS schools such as James Madison or Southern Ill. if they play any FCS at all.

Reaction Score
For the same reasons people on Boneyard think it is so great UConn is playing SHU. It's a nearby college, both are FCS, Yale has been playing football for over a century. If it is so great that UConn is playing SHU why hasn't Yale played them. They do have some flexibility in their schedule. UConn really should be playing the top-ranked FCS schools such as James Madison or Southern Ill. if they play any FCS at all.
Do you even read other people's comments? No one in this thread has called out Sacred Heart as a great game. It's an acceptable game.

The excitement is for Ole Miss. An SEC team signing a contract for an H/H. That's great.

Reaction Score
@LoyalFanCT For you specifically, "How and why does it matter whether Yale and Sacred Heart ever played a football game?" Unless you speak for other people who may or may not post on the Boneyard, their views are not relevant to directly addressing and specifically answering the question.

Setting aside reluctance to provid a direct answer, it's unclear why UConn would schedule an average midwest FCS team (Southern Illinois). From a UConn recruiting target area, James Madison makes some sense. On the other hand, what's the likelihood many Salukis' or Dukes' students, alumni, or fans as opposed to Yale, Central, or even Sacred supporters live within an hour or so of the Rent? For ticket sales for significant #s of the respective schools' supporters: 1-2 hour drive versus several flight from IL or several hour drive from VA.

Anticipated initial independent scheduling challenges resulted in UConn filling the 2021 schedule with nearby Yale and Holy Cross. However, UConn, media, and FBSchedules.com reports each suggest UConn's intent to only schedule 1 FCS opponent in subsequent seasons. After getting away from the AAC, somehow hosting CT and other northeast schools located within a couple hours makes sense for potential ticket sales and other reasons. That's not a view of a massive supporter of the CT schools, I'm not, yet prospective revenues and familiarity may matter. Salukis, Dukes, not so much.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
been to Oxford, twice (son is a student there) , great college atmosphere, nice campus and the Grove is really cool ... must go for Husky fans... not sure baby Kif will still be in town .

Reaction Score

This is a beautiful meme and we should swallow our pride and laugh. I this this is hysterical.

Also not sure about loyal fan, but I assure you I am 10000% Austin316....

1615599286195.gif

Reaction Score
I am happy so many people are giddy about playing Ole Miss. But just check the football rankings. Several of our former AAC teams are ranked higher or about equal to No. 51 Ole Miss. If we had stayed in the AAC, maybe the FB team could have worked toward competing with the likes of No. 8 Cincinnati, No. 29 UCF, No. 35 Tulsa, No. 37 Memphis, No. 39 SMU, or No. 53 Tulane. Maybe we need a coach who is not a professional excuse machine.

I am very excited for the future of the men's BB team but could the team have made it to the NCAA tournament without getting into the New Big East and instead stayed in the AAC? For now, we need to keep our eyes on the prize of getting into the Power 5.

Reaction Score
I am happy so many people are giddy about playing Ole Miss. But just check the football rankings. Several of our former AAC teams are ranked higher or about equal to No. 51 Ole Miss. If we had stayed in the AAC, maybe the FB team could have worked toward competing with the likes of No. 8 Cincinnati, No. 29 UCF, No. 35 Tulsa, No. 37 Memphis, No. 39 SMU, or No. 53 Tulane. Maybe we need a coach who is not a professional excuse machine.

I am very excited for the future of the men's BB team but could the team have made it to the NCAA tournament without getting into the New Big East and instead stayed in the AAC? For now, we need to keep our eyes on the prize of getting into the Power 5.
The optics of UConn's schedule as an independent are still superior to being a member of C-USA on roids. It only hurts us in maybe baseball.

Reaction Score

“If we had stayed in the AAC...” but we didn’t. We are getting an SEC team to visit us at home. It’s going to attract fans more than a Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, Memphis, or even UCF. Is that conference good at football, yeah they aren’t bad, your right. But we aren’t in the AAC anymore, move on and be proud and happy for the fact that we can still land games independently with big name programs like Ole Miss, like Clemson, like Ohio State... you need games like this on the schedule down the road to help with recruiting, excite the fan base, and play on national TV. In the AAC doesn’t have that which is why we left (among other reasons). we lost name recognition. We’re getting it back in bball. Football has an opportunity to build their own in a unique way. Let it play out instead of dwell on “whatabouts.”

Reaction Score

Nobody east of the Mississippi River cares about a #35 Tulsa. Navy being in the west killed any hope of a regional rivalry. We saw them more outside of conference affiliation.
I do feel bad that we are missing out on the ECU games. Just have to power through playing UNC or NCSU instead.

Reaction Score
Whether you're scheduling Sacred Heart, Yale, CCSU, James Madison, North Dakota State, Villanova, etc., the perception is you're still playing an FCS school that you don't want to lose to. Optics.

For us, scheduling local FCS schools works - they fill the schedule, get local fan interest, and are inexpensive. And it's still just one game/season like before.

Reaction Score
I am happy so many people are giddy about playing Ole Miss. But just check the football rankings. Several of our former AAC teams are ranked higher or about equal to No. 51 Ole Miss. If we had stayed in the AAC, maybe the FB team could have worked toward competing with the likes of No. 8 Cincinnati, No. 29 UCF, No. 35 Tulsa, No. 37 Memphis, No. 39 SMU, or No. 53 Tulane.
So now we’re sad about the current ranking of a team we scheduled for 6 years down the road?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

Loyal Village Idiot. Do you remember what the AAC contract paid as a net after expenses? UConn makes more money with the Big East and the schedule in football easily. Want to know how to make more money? Get fans back into the Rent! No one wanted to see Tulsa, ECU or SMU. Sacred Heart will bring more fans than those schools. Yale too! Even Holy Cross. Fans want to see an SECOND school, an ACC or Big Ten school. And forget getting into a P5. That ship sailed a long time ago.

Reaction Score
Ole Miss fans are disgusted with this series. And so is only one of our fans. Well, claims to be.

We're the first New England public university with an FBS level program. Apart from Army, there's only us, UMass and UBuffalo as public schools with FBS programs in all of New England and New York. BC and Syracuse are obviously private schools. Get used to things changing. Ole Miss fans consider us "G6 with such snobbiness.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And forget getting into a P5. That ship sailed a long time ago.
I need to stop wasting my time, but I'll help you out. The tea leaves say we're destined to be picked up by the snobby P5.

Last edited:

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
I need to stop wasting my time, but I'll help you out. The tea leaves say we're destined to be picked up by the snobby P5.
Please share

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
To start, UConn almost got into the ACC over Pitt AND UL....

We had some sports facilities that were way behind at that time. Something that doesn't get mentioned much.
1) While the facilities were an issue, the biggest issue was that FSU, Miami and Clemson didn't want UConn in as that would have solidified the basketball(see Tobacco Road) dominance in the conference. Louisville had a better football culture(not team).
(2) That was years ago and since then, there hasn't been an addition to the P5.
(3) The dynamics and criteria have totally changed since then. If UConn thought they was the possibility of a P5 invite, they would not have moved to the Big East or agreed to such rough exit stipulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom