UConn AD 'wading in' on the Indiana discussion | The Boneyard

UConn AD 'wading in' on the Indiana discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Warde Manuel, UConn's athletic director, told The Associated Press he also finds the law unacceptable. He said he hopes the state of Indiana rectifies the situation before UConn or any other institution considers a boycott of the 2016 women's Final Four.

Reaction Score
Guess that would be one way to snap a UCONN final four streak. Wonder if this "threat" will affect recruiting?

Reaction Score
I wonder if it will have an effect on IN universities. So far IU, Ball State and DePauw have taken stands against the bill. Purdue has just stated they are committed to their own policy of no discrimination. I have not found anything from notre dame.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
If the rest of the top teams also said they wouldn't play in Indy next year (if the law isn't repealed), then the NCAA would be forced to move it.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I wonder if it will have an effect on IN universities. So far IU, Ball State and DePauw have taken stands against the bill. Purdue has just stated they are committed to their own policy of no discrimination. I have not found anything from notre dame.

ND is assessing the economic impact before it takes a moral stand.

Reaction Score
Warde Manuel, UConn's athletic director, told The Associated Press he also finds the law unacceptable. He said he hopes the state of Indiana rectifies the situation before UConn or any other institution considers a boycott of the 2016 women's Final Four.

That title should have read "weighing in" on Indiana discussion.

Reaction Score
Indiana can keep their law and lose their businesses if they prefer.

JS

Reaction Score
Indiana can keep their law and lose their businesses if they prefer.
Let's try one more time, after a somewhat futile attempt in an earlier thread to get people to stop introducing sociopolitical remarks.

To be viable in this thread, posts MUST relate directly or indirectly to basketball. The OP does. Your post, Sally, does not.

Not to pick on you; several posts more extensively directed only to the law itself (i.e. either as benign and misunderstood or as an abomination) have been deleted.

Of course how people feel about the law and/or the backlash is usually apparent. But the post MUST relate to the topic of this forum. We have always discouraged sidetracking into contentious off-topic issues that divert us from our common interest.

Reaction Score

I disagree with the Indiana Law. But I think they should keep the politics out of College sports. Especially any seniors that may want to play in a final 4. It is not fair to them.
So Mr. Governor you boycott leave the athletes out of it.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I disagree with the Indiana Law. But I think they should keep the politics out of College sports. Especially any seniors that may want to play in a final 4. It is not fair to them.
So Mr. Governor you boycott leave the athletes out of it.

I think the NCAA will move next year's Final Four if the law isn't changed. There are a lot of places I'd rather visit than Indy, anyway. Selfishly, I'd like it in NYC or Chicago. Even DC or Philly would be cool.

Reaction Score
This may well be a moot issue for next year (although apparently Kevin Ollie won't be going to the men's FF this year because of it). Today's news reports indicate that it's likely that Indiana will backtrack on the law to make it not allow individual discrimination. If that is done, the resulting law will be similar to those of other states (including Connecticut, by the way) and next year's FF will be held in Indianapolis as scheduled. I'm not sure Warde Manual's speaking out was a proximate cause of this, but as one voice among many, it could only have helped.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think the NCAA will move next year's Final Four if the law isn't changed. There are a lot of places I'd rather visit than Indy, anyway. Selfishly, I'd like it in NYC or Chicago. Even DC or Philly would be cool.

It would never go to NYC. Charlotte makes perfect sense........ too bad it seems they dont have the interest in bidding for another FF

JS

Reaction Score
Charlotte makes perfect sense...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The law will be changed or the NCAA will move the FF as will any other national gathering. And the response to Indiana's law may have an effect on the choice of the Arkansas governor who is getting a similar bill on his desk this week. (Walmart the largest employer in the US headquartered in there has already urged a veto.)

Unfortunately for the NCAA the men's tournament at this late date really couldn't be moved. But this is not dissimilar to reactions to other types of laws - NJ allowing college sports books betting has taken them out of the running for any NCAA tournament sites.
While sport and politics do not naturally live in the same sphere, sport is part of society in general and has often gotten caught up in larger societal issues. The boycott of South Africa, various Olympic boycotts, and color barriers in professional and college sports are just a few samples.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom