UCONN & AAU? | The Boneyard

UCONN & AAU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seems like being an AAU University is a huge qualifier for B10 membership among a variety of other things. Does anyone know if UCONN is focused on / has a plan for getting into the AAU? Is it possible that we can achieve this status?

Admittedly, I don't know a lot about the requirements for AAU status but it seems to always come up when B10 membership is discussed. Seems like AAU membership bestows some level of prestige upon a University and as an alum, I would love for UCONN to become an AAU member school.

Any info / details are appreciated.

Thanks.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You need to be invited.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

U

UConn9604

I don't know what our plans are (or if any exist), but Wikipedia says that entry requires a 3/4 vote of the 59 member institutions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities

More than half of these schools are large, classic, Big Ten-type State Universities, plus a couple of outliers, like Buffalo (or Stony Brook).

Georgia Tech was the last school to be admitted, in 2010. It had been almost a decade since the last two were admitted (Texas A&M and Stony Brook), in 2001. So, we could be waiting for a while.

http://chronicle.com/article/As-AAU-Admits-Georgia-Tech-to/65200/

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Stony Brook to upgrade football and get a B1G invite!

New rumor!

Reaction Score
I don't know what our plans are (or if any exist), but Wikipedia says that entry requires a 3/4 vote of the 59 member institutions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities

More than half of these schools are large, classic, Big Ten-type State Universities, plus a couple of outliers, like Buffalo (or Stony Brook).

Georgia Tech was the last school to be admitted, in 2010. It had been almost a decade since the last two were admitted (Texas A&M and Stony Brook), in 2001. So, we could be waiting for a while.

http://chronicle.com/article/As-AAU-Admits-Georgia-Tech-to/65200/

Err, Buffalo has just under 30,000 students currently on one single campus, with plans already enacted to raise admissions to 40,000 students by 2020. So it's not an outlier.

Secondly, the Big 10 does not require AAU membership. You have to remember, it was the Big10 presidents themselves who kicked Nebraska out of the AAU. When asked about how athletics worked into the decision, the former Provost of Wisconsin--now President of Williams--said that she didn't recall any discussion of athletics, and if it was mentioned, it was an afterthought.

I can tell you that I have seen internal AAU memos discussing a further purge of members in the near future. UConn is still a distance away from a research budget that's in the range of the AAU members about to be kicked out.

Furthermore, the reason why members are being kicked out in the first place has everything to do with the AAU's reason for being. With offices on K Street in DC, the AAU is nothing more than a lobbying group pitching congressmen for more research outlays. But research funding has been steadily declining now for a long while. It's been said that AAU schools receive 50% of the research funding pie of the entire nation. Well, a shrinking pie means less money for each school. One way to increase that pie is to kick out the Nebraska's of the world.

U

UConn9604

Err, Buffalo has just under 30,000 students currently on one single campus, with plans already enacted to raise admissions to 40,000 students by 2020. So it's not an outlier.

What I meant was, it's not a "University of _____" or a "______ State," like most of the publics in the AAU. There are dozens of SUNYs. (Then again, there are 10 University of California campuses, five of which are in the AAU.)

It's certainly large enough to qualify on its own merits as a big state school, though.

Reaction Score
What I meant was, it's not a "University of _____" or a "______ State," like most of the publics in the AAU. There are dozens of SUNYs. (Then again, there are 10 University of California campuses, five of which are in the AAU.)

It's certainly large enough to qualify on its own merits as a big state school, though.

New York is a big state, but really, it's one of four university centers.

The difference between SUNY-Fredonia and SUNY-Buffalo is that Buffalo is a University center. The University at Buffalo, whereas Fredonia is SUNY at Fredonia. Or, to put it another way, Fredonia is to Buffalo as Altoona is to University Park. Penn State too remember has multiple campuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom