UConn (-6) vs Purdue | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn (-6) vs Purdue

Reaction Score
There were times yesterday Purdue put Kaufman Renn on Burns and had Edey hover in the paint. Wonder if they put Edey on Castle and do something similar to Clingan

Alabama tried the “make Castle beat us” strategy, and Castle beat them. Great job from Steph delivering and making Painter at least second guess how to guard him

I’d say let Clingan go against Edey 1 v 1 as long as he can. Edey has unreal conditioning, and Samson is gonna have to put in 10-12 minutes. That’s when you double and rotate (which UConn is really good at)

This is going to be SUCH a fun game

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Purdue seems to play defense like Creighton with Kalk. Just keep the 5’s right by the rim

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If we run it out after rebounds and make Edey tired, we'll put up points. They have exactly 0 players who can stop Steph in transition

Or anyone on UCONN. It’ll be interesting to see if we can get out and if we do, if Edey can run with Clingan and Johnson

Reaction Score
Karaban might have his hands full guarding Renn down low. He seems to have more post up ability than most PFs weve played this year.

Will be interesting to see if Clingan occasionally fronts Edey sometimes. It will have to be an amazing pass to go over the top. And Edey is not the most athletic guy.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
DC needs to stay out of foul trouble like everyone is saying, but he also has to use his speed on both ends. Get down the floor and make Edey catch the ball out a few further than he likes and make him set up on the defense's left side of the floor. And then stay between him and the rim. Like everyone has said make Edey work for his numbers.
Go over the top of screens and Newton must be engaged from the start. Run offense and wear the other team out. Also, SJ needs to run the floor every time he can when he's in for DC and not let Edey post deep.
Make him run and we have SJ to continue the track meet of giants when DC is out. See Edey run. Run run run.

Reaction Score
To me, this is where my head is at. Clinigan needs to play good D, stay in the game, and make ZE work for his 20/10. Anything we get him from him offensively is a bonus imo. Purdue needs 45 points from everyone else, at a minimum.

Who are they putting on Castle? Newtown? Karaban?
And we're one of the few teams that can replicate Edey's size in practice, so it won't be as much of a deterrent. Plus, Clingan is faster and more athletic than Edey, so our offense will have practiced regularly against a much better defender at a similar size.

As good as Clingan is, you can't really replicate Edey for the defense in the same way.

Reaction Score
At the moment, I think DC needs to just eat space and limit Edey opportunities in the paint.

Keeping Edey closer to 20 points vs 30 is key, keeping them off the offensive glass, and locking down on the 3 point line is important. If we can repeat the effort from the 2nd half vs Alabama, thats a good thing. I also think we can get some turns from pressure on the ball and get points off those turns.

Perdue only scored 63 vs NC State. 30 points from three and 9 from the line.

On Offense, we may need to consider increasing our transition opportunities.

Reaction Score
Edey was 9-14, 20 points, 12 rebounds, sign me up for that right now. He missed 5 very close shots WITHOUT a hand contesting him.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
DOOMED!
DOOMED.JPG

Reaction Score
But Edey plays 40 minutes. Unless we get Edey in foul trouble, Johnson is going to guard Edey for some short spans.
When Johnson is in the game I bet that’s when we’ll see some doubling in the post when Edey gets the ball. But I think it needs to come from the weak side. NC State kept bringing the double team from the strong side and Edey didn’t even have to shift his eyes to see that he had someone open on the perimeter.

I’ve watched quite a bit of Purdue this year, Edey can play all 40 minutes because he doesn’t really move…like at all. We need to be pushing the pace every time down the court and force him to wear down or give us easy transition buckets

GG

Reaction Score
DC needs to stay out of foul trouble like everyone is saying, but he also has to use his speed on both ends. Get down the floor and make Edey catch the ball out a few further than he likes and make him set up on the defense's left side of the floor. And then stay between him and the rim. Like everyone has said make Edey work for his numbers.
Go over the top of screens and Newton must be engaged from the start. Run offense and wear the other team out. Also, SJ needs to run the floor every time he can when he's in for DC and not let Edey post deep.
Edey is stronger, but Clingan is more agile and faster. Not certain Edey can run with Clingan and he certainly can’t run with SJ. This should be fun.

Reaction Score
Edey doesn't come off the floor. He's played 40, 39, and 38 minutes his last 3 games. was there, so I was ablle to focus
I was there yesterday and focussed on him. After watching Clingan these last two years, I was struck by the fact that this guy never runs. So there is plays and there is plays. Maybe he is on the court because so much because he never runs. Clingan is an absolute gazellle compared to this guy. He wIll be able to beat him to any spot he wants.. I don't think Edey changes his game at this point. Donovan could have a big offensive game here.

Reaction Score
All of purdues success is predicated on assuming teams freak out about Edeys size... NC State really did not impress me yesterday with their talent level, they seemed to have like 1 or 2 guys capable of making plays, then obviously no size. This will have to be another defensive masterclass from Clingan, then I trust Newton/Castle/Karaban to carry the team home.

I can't wait to see the team run their plays and actions over and over to get Edey in compromising positions. Our guards can feast on his drop coverage I think. Expect to see some hard doubles on Edey too because he doesn't seem to have glue hands and can turn it over
Cam Spencer says hello.

Reaction Score
Edey is stronger, but Clingan is more agile and faster. Not certain Edey can run with Clingan and he certainly can’t run with SJ. This should be fun.
IF Slamson is on the court and UConn rebounds a Purdue miss, I expect a dunk on the other end at least half the time. It doesn't even need to be a fast break. Just a faster than Edey break.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Roll all of your winnings from this tournament into the -6 and enjoy the ride.

I can't bet on UConn since I'm in state. I did put $70 down on them to win the tournament at +450 which will win me around $380 if we can get the job done tomorrow. Also threw $40 on them giving the points against Illinois last week while I was in NY.

Reaction Score
Creighton was able to beat (crush) UConn partially because Kalk was able to outplay Clingan.
That wasn't really a factor in why UConn lost that game by 19. Kalkbrenner played all 40 minutes and had 15 points (on 5-7 shooting), 5 rebounds and 4 blocks. Clingan played 26 minutes and had 12 points (on 6-9 shooting), 7 rebounds and 1 block.

UConn lost that game in large part because they were 3-16 from three and Creighton went 14-28.

Reaction Score
Let Eddy get his 20-25, shut down their threes. Length will help on the outside limiting shots and affecting passing lanes.

Attack the midrange game early, have it open up threes and passing lanes.

Johnson and Clingan will be RUNNING every rebound.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Let Eddy get his 20-25, shut down their threes. Length will help on the outside limiting shots and affecting passing lanes.

Attack the midrange game early, have it open up threes and passing lanes.

Johnson and Clingan will be RUNNING every rebound.
Yes need to run on rebounds, and make Edey chase back in defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom