UConn -3.5 St. Marys | The Boneyard

UConn -3.5 St. Marys

Reaction Score
They only really go 6 deep. 3 shooters. Play really, really slow.

If we handle our stuff defensively, they don't have the size or athleticism to defend us.
Agreed. I’ve watched more than a handful of St Mary’s games this year and have posted this before. They are a solid team, very well coached, very fundamentally sound, and don’t typically make many mistakes. They don’t have the athleticism or size to handle UConn but if they can make thing’s frustrating for UConn and the team needs to overcome that and keep to their game plan instead of getting tight.

I think they end up winning easily but wouldn’t be surprised by a close game if that scenario happens

Reaction Score
Drive an get it inside to get their starters in foul trouble and we win. Need to finish and one plays. Also need to pack MVP Arena with Husky fans and turn it into a home game.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I’ve watched more than a handful of St Mary’s games this year and have posted this before. They are a solid team, very well coached, very fundamentally sound, and don’t typically make many mistakes. They don’t have the athleticism or size to handle UConn but if they can make thing’s frustrating for UConn and the team needs to overcome that and keep to their game plan instead of getting tight.

I think they end up winning easily but wouldn’t be surprised by a close game if that scenario happens
I live 5 minutes from St Mary's and have been to many games. Yes as Methodology stated they are solid with a freshman guard who can handle the pressure and be a leader. I'm all UCONN with this matchup and yes we better come to play.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score

We have to beat them - they aren’t going to beat themselves.

If we take it to them like Gonzaga did, we’ll be fine. But we have to be the aggressors - if we play passive this will be much closer than it should be.

Reaction Score
Only - 3.5 ? Guarantee that line will move high by tomorrow, should be at least -7 IMO
St. Mary's is the 13th best team in the country by a metrics composite, 12th on KenPom. The won't move that much. Maybe a point or two. The house will just take all the UConn action at a certain point.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I love this matchup which probably means we’ll get blasted.
I really don’t wanna be this over confident, but man how can they match up with us physically? We’d have to play terribly soft to lose imo.

caw

Reaction Score
I love this matchup which probably means we’ll get blasted.

They can shoot the ball, which is always a worry.

Of the teams UConn has played this year, they remind me a bit of Creighton but without the eraser in the middle. Well coached, good defensive positioning, six deep, play slow, and shoot well. They are probably better shooters than Creighton though, don't have Kalkbrenner in the lane.

That said, six deep on the second game should favor UConn.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
They've beaten a 5 seed and a 3 seed this year already. It's certainly possible.
Not saying we can’t lose. But I like these matchups where we dominate inside. Saxon has obviously faced quality bigs on Gonzaga, but the two headed monster is not something he’s ready for. Their guards and wings are going to struggle to keep us off the O glass too.

But that’s nothing some shot shooting can’t beat, so never say never.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
All Gaels must be destroyed
Dammit, I didn’t drink the Smithwick’s that I bought, because I figured drinking Irish ale might give mojo to the Gaels tonight. I guess I’m not drinking them on Sunday either.
Sad Friends Tv GIF

Reaction Score
They aren’t going to have answer for our athleticism except for trying to slow this game down as much as possible. We need to push the pace on a defensive rebound and tire them out

Reaction Score
Houston turned them over 17 times earlier this year and our defense is on that level. I just don't see them getting much. Hell, Karaban may be able to drive on some of their frontcourt defenders.

Reaction Score
Houston turned them over 17 times and our defense is on that level. I just don't see them getting much. Hell, Karaban may be able to drive on some of their frontcourt defenders.
We don't force nearly as many turnovers as they do, especially not since December. They're at 21.7% for the season (24% the first 2 months). We forced turnovers on 22.5% of possessions in Nov/Dec and 16% in Jan/Feb/Mar.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom