UConn -2 tonight | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn -2 tonight

Reaction Score
We can ABSOLUTELY win this game tonight. We have all the pieces to do so. Nova is simply a bad matchup for us, but it is something we can overcome by matching their attention to detail (limiting turnovers and bad shots, staying out of foul trouble, and playing every 30 seconds on Defensive end likes its the last)
I like to think we're a bad matchup for Nova (when we're not in foul trouble)

Flip the script!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But they beat us handily two weeks ago while missing one starter for the entire game and their best player for much of the second half. And historically have been a poor match-up for us.
Didn't we have two bigs in foul trouble from jump street? That's worth a few points.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
What's Akok's status?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Red Panda is wearing a throwback uniform
Excited Lets Go GIF by Mind Pump Media

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Most predictive algos have us winning by a half to one point depending upon how much home court advantage is assigned (somewhere between 3.5-4 points). Given that Nova is 7-4 on the road and our efficiency on both ends of the court has gotten better over the last 3-5 games I'm not surprised to see us giving points nor favored moneyline. I am very surprised to see ML be +135 for Nova at the wides though.

arch

Reaction Score
We’re likely doomed if majority of the money is on Villanova!
And there we have it. Money was running to Villanova and a -2 UConn is designed to slow it down, no?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
And there we have it. Money was running to Villanova and a -2 UConn is designed to slow it down, no?
I have no idea all I know is the sky is falling, UConn’s doomed, and the roof is collapsing tonight.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Hate to say it but I totally forgot about him this week. Just not a significant fit/role on this team.

I like him becuase Nova cant plan for him and he could give them fits in a couple short stretches banging a couple 3's. He wont see much time either way, because his weakness is guarding iso and Hurley is switching on everything, but on the offensive end, could help.

Reaction Score
We can ABSOLUTELY win this game tonight. We have all the pieces to do so. Nova is simply a bad matchup for us, but it is something we can overcome by matching their attention to detail (limiting turnovers and bad shots, staying out of foul trouble, and playing every 30 seconds on Defensive end likes its the last)
I really hope Hurley watched games of Baylor vs Nova and both Marquette vs Nova games. When Nova has any player backing down UConn's defender, contrary to popular belief, the defense can help and without completely committing to a double team and exposing themselves to wide open uncontested 3s. The help defender can linger and jab step towards the Nova player backing down and at random times double or back off-it can unsettle the post up player as they don't really know if the double is truly coming or not (Daryl Morsell is excellent at this). Boy I wish UConn could've gotten Morsell.

Side note: In fact, UConn should've been doing this in the first game against Seton Hall when Richmond was killing them.

Marquette usually had Igaudaro or OMax Prosper lingering around the Nova player who was backing down their defender in the post, while still being able to guard Dixon if the pass goes to him. The bottom line is to make the pass out of the paint area as difficult as possible and slow as possible (not a crisp pass with velocity) so the defenders have enough time to recover on their rotations. I watched both Marquette games, their length, their communication connection on D, and their fast rotations really bothered Nova. It was not a fluke that they beat Nova twice-they flummoxed Nova's offense . Calhoun's team in the past were effective with this, too against 5-out or 4 out-1 in offenses, but they also had insanely strong guards (Taliek, Ricky Moore, Ben Gordon) who were difficult to back down.

Communication on D and knowing the scouting report is key. Samuels is a reluctant 3 point shooter will only shoot if wide open, defenders don't need to close too closely (belly up) when he catches the ball behind the 3 point line. But they do have to close on him with a soft close out with a hand up-that will bother him enough not to shoot or miss. Same goes for Dixon, it doesn't have to be hard close belly up close out and to some extent Brandon Slater. Gillespie and Moore need belly up and fast close outs.

And for God's sake overplay Dixon to his left. He cannot go right and finish and if he does happen to do it once, which I have never seen, it surely won't be consistent to the tune of 24 pts like the first meeting. If he drop steps to the right side of the basket it is an attempt to get his post defender to slide with him to the right so he can go left and finish.

For offense, Nova will surely pack the paint and dare UConn to beat them from the outside. Solid off-the ball screen setting and crashing the boards will be key. Nova won't punish the crashing of the boards by fast breaking as they play one of the slowest paces in the country.

Reaction Score
The anticipation for this game reminds me of 2006 when Nova was playing at Gampel after they won the first meeting in Nova when UConn was ranked #1 and Nova was ranked #4. Hopefully UConn this time, just like in 2006 can return the favor with a win. And no, I don't give a damn if beating Nova results in Providence winning their first BE regular season title.

Unfortunately, in 2006 I think that was when that team peaked. They were pumped for that Nova game.

Reaction Score
Tonight the new guard passes the torch back to the old guard!!! lets go Huskies!

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
Remember in 96 when the game was postponed a day because of snow and it was the Ray and Kerry show. Definitely has a big game feeling tonight.

Reaction Score
I just heard that Gillespie is still dealing with an ankle injury, that may help explain the line.

Reaction Score
Would like nothing more but I know nothing about gambling odds but I’ve seen both teams and I don’t get it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom