Men - UConn @ #19/23 Auburn Tigers (Saturday 3/2/24 Doubleheader @2p ET* & Sunday 3/3/24 @2p ET*). Sunday on SEC+. All 3 games on Mixlr | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Men UConn @ #19/23 Auburn Tigers (Saturday 3/2/24 Doubleheader @2p ET* & Sunday 3/3/24 @2p ET*). Sunday on SEC+. All 3 games on Mixlr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bottom 8th, Finn gets a strikeout for the 2nd out, then he walks in a run. 8-4 UConn. Finn comes out of the game, Afthim comes in to pitch.

Afthim gets a strikeout to end the inning with no more runs coming in. 8-4 UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s an enormous part of college baseball. We’ve been extremely spoiled with our bullpen arms over the last 5+ years.
There are currently over 200 teams in college baseball averaging less than 6 walks per 9 so I stand by my position that issuing 6 in 2 innings is an item that can and needs to be cleaned up

Reaction Score
Top 9th, UConn with runners on the corners with 1 out. Drew Kron pinch runs for Garbowski who was on 1B after a single. Kron steals 2B to put 2 runners in scoring position. Both runners are stranded. 8-4 UConn.

Reaction Score
There are currently over 200 teams in college baseball averaging less than 6 walks per 9 so I stand by my position that issuing 6 in 2 innings is an item that can and needs to be cleaned up
For sure. My point is more that it’s more about personnel than it is practice or mindset. Very few pitchers “learn” how to throw strikes in college. It happens sometimes, sure, but it is rare. That’s one of the reasons that guys like Kersten, Petersen, Krauth, Kirby, etc were so valuable.

Reaction Score
Nice SEC win!

1709429145527.jpeg

Reaction Score
For sure. My point is more that it’s more about personnel than it is practice or mindset. Very few pitchers “learn” how to throw strikes in college. It happens sometimes, sure, but it is rare. That’s one of the reasons that guys like Kersten, Petersen, Krauth, Kirby, etc were so valuable.
I’m not sure if that is true especially given that 3 out of the 4 guys you’ve cited as examples improved their walk rates at UConn

Reaction Score
Game 2 thoughts:
  • Enormous win against ranked SEC opponent on road. Bullpen tried to give it away, Auburn wouldn't take it
  • Broadhurst and Malcom got it going with TIMELY HITTING; Garbo productive out for 3-0. Daniels HR got rewarded with the other barrels that came up empty for him.
  • For a team that WANTS to bunt they really aren't a good bunting team (so far)
  • Cookie - Massive disappointment. Given 6-0 lead need to hang a zero. Instead 1/3. Velo was 90-91 per Jonsey. Was 93-95 in Tampa. Need to rethink his role and bigger picture. Can still be a key contributor if moved to pen.
  • Van Emon completely bailed them out with that stint and probably earned himself a start next weekend at UCSB. Game ball.
  • They started to add to it to get it to 8 but then offense went limp
  • 6 free 90s in 7th/8th. Auburn has to be kicking themselves game was handed to them. From Jonsey's call didn't seem like a tight strike zone so weren't getting squeezed.
  • Surprised Afthim didn't come in earlier given the walks and the fact he's rested. Also speaks tons that they are going with freshmen like Schild and Finn over some veterans in the bullpen.
  • Can win a series tomorrow against ranked opponent on road. Need a quality start from SQuigs.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure if that is true especially given that 3 out of the 4 guys you’ve cited as examples improved their walk rates at UConn
Bigger picture, that often doesn’t hold true. For UConn, I hope you are right!!

More importantly, we secured the W vs an SEC foe, high point of the season so far!

Huge ups to Van Emon, Afthim, etc!

Reaction Score
Bigger picture, that often doesn’t hold true. For UConn, I hope you are right!!

More importantly, we secured the W vs an SEC foe, high point of the season so far!

Huge ups to Van Emon, Afthim, etc!
Agree on Van Emon and Afthim. Quinn had a good moment in his first inning escaping the jam. Hope he can build off of that even if his second inning wasn’t as strong. He has been a bit of an enigma to me as a big lefty with decent stuff who hasn’t quite put it all together yet. I think the pieces are there for him to do it though

Reaction Score
Interesting that a lot of teams down here just delayed for a few hours and are playing tonight in cold weather. Definitely a strategic move by Auburn as the temps are supposed to be back in the 60's tomorrow. They didn't want to play us in the cold weather tonight.
SEC soft on the Auburn Plains. Suck it up War Eagles.

Reaction Score
I love our new lineup. Way more pop potential. The transfers are ball players. Keep the d3 pipeline flowing!
Still tweaking it but yes it's headed in the right direction. Broadhurst obviously helps (that's a must) and Malcom has earned the right to be in the lineup every day, especially with Dalena scuffling and the option of moving Luke to 1B. He caught the second game which I think opens the door for him at DH or C on a daily basis. Garbo and he can flip-flop when Garbo needs a rest. Malcom's arm is a risk but seemed to be ok today which brings coaching staff confidence.

I haven't seen enough of Shpur but I think he's the most well-rounded CF they have. Hasn't done a lot with the bat but small sample size.

They shouldn't (and won't) give up on the guys who have been replaced assuming they settle on the core they used in Game 2. They can still play important roles. Dalena it's a confidence issue and Minick it's an experience issue.

Kron can still play a big role as a late-inning defensive replacement or pinch runner. If I was Kron I'd be sleeping at the batting cage in Storrs. If he gets that sorted he can be a very nice player for them. Has all the other tools.

Simmons/Dalena give you left-hand bats off the bench and Minick can also be used in a PH role or defensive replacement if you PH for Bry.

Ideally using today's Game 2 lineup as a baseline I'd like to see them lead Daniels off (he works counts), bat Tammaro second and move Shpur down to 8th in Daniels' spot. Pretty much ok with the rest of it but I think you'll be seeing Malcom hitting 5th or 6th before long but that's minor stuff.

Would be great to take this series tomorrow and really raise the confidence level.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love our new lineup. Way more pop potential. The transfers are ball players. Keep the d3 pipeline flowing!
Penders' changes on offense have paid off so far:

He removed Dalena, Minick Simmons, and Kron 7-76 (.092) 0 HR 3 RBIs
He put in Luke, Malcom, Shpur, and Padilla 15-46 (.326) 2 HR 10 RBIs

Reaction Score
Great listen:

Definitely interesting stuff, agree, a great listen. Sounds like Ian Cooke is heading for the bullpen, with Gabe Van Emon taking his spot in the weekend starting rotation. Also, interesting stuff on both Luke Broadhurst and Matt Malcom. As Penders says, they may have found a cleanup hitter in Broadhurst. Also, interesting stuff on the guys coming out of the bullpen in the second game, how they bailed out their pitching buddies, but then needed bailing out the next inning that they pitched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom