UConn “Telling Our Story” CT Insider Article | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn “Telling Our Story” CT Insider Article

Reaction Score
Not to be ‘that guy’ but that’s the type of article they should be getting paid for
I understand the need for paid journalism. I subscribe to The Athletic and am happy to do so (although their quality has really declined)

It just seems counterintuitive to have an article that is clearly designed to have broad reach, stuck behind a barrier.

Reaction Score
Post it on Twitter and tag Tramel and some of the big 12 commentators.
Part of me thinks it might be easier at this point to find allies than convert foes. People like Tramel aren't going to change.

Reaction Score
If they haven't already tried, Uconn should try to get the Fox pregame / College Gameday crews on campus for a definitive profile.

When the BE split and the AAC started, those blowhards on College Gameday did much to shape the perception of the conference and Uconn football - and not in a good way.
UConn should invite the Big12 Presidents! Come see our campus, the facilities, the resources.

Reaction Score
I understand the need for paid journalism. I subscribe to The Athletic and am happy to do so (although their quality has really declined)

It just seems counterintuitive to have an article that is clearly designed to have broad reach, stuck behind a barrier.
Not following. I read the article with no problem

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Part of me thinks it might be easier at this point to find allies than convert foes. People like Tramel aren't going to change.
Yeah, I agree but if you tag him, he's got a lot of associated views with him. I'm not much of a Twitter guy, but I think that's how it works.

Reaction Score

So glad we’re finally going on the offensive to shape the narrative instead of letting people like Tramel write BS with no consequence.

Agreed but we have that fine School of Business across from Gampel. Why were they not helping the marketing of our fine institution years ago? Regardless better late than never. UConn has a great story to tell but beating NC State or giving them one great game will go a long way in shaping perceptions.

Reaction Score
Instead of the same woe is me articles coming from our Connecticut writers, why aren't they on the attack writing about the stupidity of doubling down on the same markets in Arizona and Utah?

And how pointless in general the additions were. Was it about football? They took in 3 lousy football schools. No better than ours. Was it overall athletic dept? We have them all beat on a G5 budget. Academics? They lose again

Make the Big 12 look really stupid for doing this.

Honestly if our own state can't stick up for us, how can you expect the national media to be any better

Reaction Score
Instead of the same woe is me articles coming from our Connecticut writers, why aren't they on the attack writing about the stupidity of doubling down on the same markets in Arizona and Utah?

And how pointless in general the additions were. Was it about football? They took in 3 lousy football schools. No better than ours. Was it overall athletic dept? We have them all beat on a G5 budget. Academics? They lose again

Make the Big 12 look really stupid for doing this.

Honestly if our own state can't stick up for us, how can you expect the national media to be any better
Since those schools are already in, it is no point bashing them. We will need their support if we want to join in the future.

Reaction Score
Its kind of telling that UConn's perception degrades as it expands beyond the region out west, yet for some reason a school like SMU, SDSU and Cal are seen as viable for traditionally eastern conferences....

I still think if you look at all the schools being added since Louisville beat UConn (Utah the weird exception) its about TV market size to cram conference networks into regions not recent program success. The Big12 liked the 4 corners because ESPN and Fox told them to like$$$ the 4 corners.
look, UConn is an outcast, the dumpy kid, so on. football is going to have to punch them in the face before there's any respect

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
They mentioned how the state subsidizes a chunk of the AD budget yet from articles I've read, Cal and I believe another left over PAC school has a higher subsidy. I wish they had mentioned that in there. It's not attacking those schools, it's just fixing the narrative that is always out there.

Reaction Score
TBH, and I'm hope and believe I'm wrong, this article paints DB in the same light as Warde. Sitting on the sidelines and hoping we'd land where we should be. The difference is that DB was basically hoping Yormack could win out and he didn't. It sounds like DB is ok with our current position and just hopes to get people to notice us. News flash, not sure what more we can do to make that seem. How hard did Dave work here? I'm hoping it was more than just watching his phone like the start of the article mentioned.
Guys. Don’t let the Tom Jurich hustled his way into ACC self serving BS.

Louisville was taken because acc was afraid if fsu and Clemson leaving. It is same dynamic now.

Jurich didn’t do a Mr Smith goes to Washington plea while Warde ate donuts in Bahamas.

UConn was in, until fsu and Clemson gathered support to make it 8-4.

Louisville has fallen off the map once jurich’s charade was over.

And. The Media. Totally. Ate. It. Up.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Part of our issue is how the State itself is viewed in the West and the South... "In Texas we call that a county" kind of stuff.

Reaction Score
Terrible article. The title of the article is :

'Telling our story': How UConn will react after being bypassed again in Power Five conference realignment

Based on the title, I thought I was going to get some info on how UConn was going to react, but there was nothing, other than the usual we need to improve football.

So Benedict says: "We need to do a better job of telling our story. We need to do a better job of communicating the unique things that happen here.”

I'm sorry, but after all of these years of realignment, that is a weak-ass response by the AD.

Question for the author, Mike Anthony: Did you ask him how they were going to do that? Is there a plan? What is the plan?

Reaction Score
Terrible article. The title of the article is :

'Telling our story': How UConn will react after being bypassed again in Power Five conference realignment

Based on the title, I thought I was going to get some info on how UConn was going to react, but there was nothing, other than the usual we need to improve football.

So Benedict says: "We need to do a better job of telling our story. We need to do a better job of communicating the unique things that happen here.”

I'm sorry, but after all of these years of realignment, that is a weak-ass response by the AD.

Question for the author, Mike Anthony: Did you ask him how they were going to do that? Is there a plan? What is the plan?
To be fair to Dave, all the damage was really done before he got here. I think he's now realizing he should have done more when he was hired but it's also hard to get your name out there when your programs aren't doing well. It's a lot easier to beat the drum coming off another national title and lining up what should be a very competitive football season.

Reaction Score
To be fair to Dave, all the damage was really done before he got here. I think he's now realizing he should have done more when he was hired but it's also hard to get your name out there when your programs aren't doing well. It's a lot easier to beat the drum coming off another national title and lining up what should be a very competitive football season.
and how do you do it without being meek and not looking like "you don't know your place" or looking like a clown? I'm sorry, those that think they're better than you have a lot of means of reinforcing their beliefs.

You want UConn to be better guys? How about talking to your state rep about investing in UConn to get to AAU status?

Reaction Score
I like Dave. But, some damage was done during his tenure. Rehiring Edsall and shutting down football in 2020. I hope Dave stays at UConn for a long time as I think he is the right guy to lead the athletic department. But, if Dave leaves before we are in a power conference, then the next AD should be a sports minded ex financial services CEO/hedge fund guru from Fairfield County who has the connections to raise big money for the AD. Have competent athletic administrators manage the various sports on a day to day basis, but we need a rainmaker if we are not making P5 money.

Reaction Score
I like Dave. But, some damage was done during his tenure. Rehiring Edsall and shutting down football in 2020. I hope Dave stays at UConn for a long time as I think he is the right guy to lead the athletic department. But, if Dave leaves before we are in a power conference, then the next AD should be a sports minded ex financial services CEO/hedge fund guru from Fairfield County who has the connections to raise big money for the AD. Have competent athletic administrators manage the various sports on a day to day basis, but we need a rainmaker if we are not making P5 money.
Shutting down the football activities in 2020 was the right move and the only reason other people didn't is because of pure greed.

I think edsall was a booster call and he was hoping edsall could be competent on the cheap. I don't totally blame him for edsall checking out completely but he should have been fired after year 1

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom