UConn “Telling Our Story” CT Insider Article | The Boneyard

UConn “Telling Our Story” CT Insider Article

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
TBH, and I'm hope and believe I'm wrong, this article paints DB in the same light as Warde. Sitting on the sidelines and hoping we'd land where we should be. The difference is that DB was basically hoping Yormack could win out and he didn't. It sounds like DB is ok with our current position and just hopes to get people to notice us. News flash, not sure what more we can do to make that seem. How hard did Dave work here? I'm hoping it was more than just watching his phone like the start of the article mentioned.

Reaction Score
TBH, and I'm hope and believe I'm wrong, this article paints DB in the same light as Warde. Sitting on the sidelines and hoping we'd land where we should be. The difference is that DB was basically hoping Yormack could win out and he didn't. It sounds like DB is ok with our current position and just hopes to get people to notice us. News flash, not sure what more we can do to make that seem. How hard did Dave work here? I'm hoping it was more than just watching his phone like the start of the article mentioned.
nah from how AD DB speaks of Yormack, he was constantly in touch with him and was pushing hard. Theres only so much you can do when the member schools are not interested in listening.

Reaction Score
I think you are wrong and agree with How Sway.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is an excellent article that is filled with a lot of the details that some Connecticut fans, and not all, know about, but that is unknown in the college athletic world generally. If I get a chance later I'll carve out little chunks for us to chew on here on the board. It's a tremendous amount of information.

Reaction Score
Its kind of telling that UConn's perception degrades as it expands beyond the region out west, yet for some reason a school like SMU, SDSU and Cal are seen as viable for traditionally eastern conferences....

I still think if you look at all the schools being added since Louisville beat UConn (Utah the weird exception) its about TV market size to cram conference networks into regions not recent program success. The Big12 liked the 4 corners because ESPN and Fox told them to like$$$ the 4 corners.

Reaction Score
You're out of your mind if you read that and think DB sounded like Warde.

As others have said, the Big 12 schools simply did not want us - almost certainly because of perception. If this realignment wave happened one or two years from now and Mora had two more solid years for the program we may well be in a very different spot. One 6-7 year will not reset the perception that our football program generated over 10-12 years of futility.

Reaction Score
If they haven't already tried, Uconn should try to get the Fox pregame / College Gameday crews on campus for a definitive profile.

When the BE split and the AAC started, those blowhards on College Gameday did much to shape the perception of the conference and Uconn football - and not in a good way.

Reaction Score
If UConn were to give the Big12 or ACC UConn bball at BigEast price and take say 6 mil year nothing more for the next 5 years but it guaranteed football survival with recruiting, attendance etc... it would not water down the ball schedule obv. Should we take the invite?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We brought in almost $28 million in donations if I'm reading that right (almost 4x what we brought in 2016). If we keep growing that and shrinking the deficit (which we are), we will be fine.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Look maybe it was because I hadn't had my coffee yet or maybe it was PTSD, but it just didn't sound like someone actively working on getting us in. I have more faith that I'm wrong on this and I'm totally accepting of any of your criticism. I really like Dave and I'm sure he busted his butt off. It's just how I got a feel at the beginning of the article. Maybe it was just how it was written. Who knows.

Reaction Score
When the BE split and the AAC started, those blowhards on College Gameday did much to shape the perception of the conference and Uconn football - and not in a good way.

Back then is when this “failure to tell our story” was really happening. Hathaway did nothing to ever promote anything about UConn and edsall wasn’t a salesman. We got zero positive press from the fiesta bowl and instead were seen as the poster child for the problem with the bcs. We failed to counter the narrative that we didn’t travel to that game. And edsall was happy to paint us as little old Connecticut working hard to compete with the big boys. Whereas you look at a school like Rutgers at the time and schiano was getting people to call them a sleeping giant, saying they built a fence around all the talent in New Jersey. He had Rutgers fans legitimately believing they could win a national championship one day.

Just very unfortunate we blew it when we actually had big time football in front of raucous sell out crowds to sell. I think after missing out on th Acc we started to do a much better job of trying to promote but the bad coaching hires made it impossible. Now it’s more about getting the actual winning in front of good crowds back. I think the promoting we are doing is there

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If they haven't already tried, Uconn should try to get the Fox pregame / College Gameday crews on campus for a definitive profile.

I like this idea so long as we script a pregame story that consists of a tour of all our facilities/ Gampel, Werth Champions Center, Burton, Shankman, Toscano, Elliot, the softball fields, the new volleyball building, with a underlying scripted narrative about the incredible investment Connecticut has made in athletics and it's commitment to compete at the highest level. I think it would be an attractive piece as a part of a game day broadcast.

Reaction Score
Warde did everything he could and so did DB. People need someone to blame, but neither left any stones unturned. Warde got beat by FSU at the 11th hour. DB got beat by the earlier than expected implosion of the Pac-12. Both situations beyond their respective control.

Reaction Score
Warde did everything he could and so did DB. People need someone to blame, but neither left any stones unturned. Warde got beat by FSU at the 11th hour. DB got beat by the earlier than expected implosion of the Pac-12. Both situations beyond their respective control.

The UCONN president should be out there talking to all the B12 presidents about UCONN. We need to build relationships at the ground level. It is clear as day that Brett Yormark wanted UCONN, but we got locked out again due to unforeseen circumstances where the P12 blew up and made multiple P12 teams available. B12 is stopping expansion right now because there isn't any TV money left. If Fox and ESPN want the B12 to expand again, they simply just need to say we will pay $$$ for UCONN and another.

Outside networking with presidents, we really really need to do better on the football field. The hiring of Edsall 2.0 killed our perception and the football program. Mora has the chance to build it back up, and UCONN and the state of CT need to give him every resource he needs to build up the program again.

Reaction Score
nah from how AD DB speaks of Yormack, he was constantly in touch with him and was pushing hard. Theres only so much you can do when the member schools are not interested in listening.
Are the member schools not interested in listening, or are they just listening to the wrong people? There is a big difference there. This article makes it sound like UConn has finally awoken and realized they've let the media spread lies about us for 13+ years without the University doing anything to publicly correct the narrative.

It's time the school goes on the offensive and calls out every single hit piece that is written about us. The official football social media accounts needs to be replying to guys like Tramel and showing them how wrong they are. Fight back. Don't make the fans do all the work. That has gotten us nowhere.

Start winning on the football field and start winning the narrative battle on social media. Perception matters more than results, as we just saw with perennial dredges Colorado and Arizona getting the nod over us.

Reaction Score
When they don’t want you to begin with it’s difficult to overcome that.

Enjoy overpaying the Arizonas. They just want to collect a check, coast and go back to sleep.

Reaction Score
How do you know that she's not, or didn't?
I don't. I am sure she is making her calls. B12 always wanted the corner schools, and now they are married. It sucks it came at our expense. Had Oregon and Washington didn't get too greedy for just a few more years, we be in the B12 right now. Instead, they destroyed a 108 years old conference to get into the B1G while ruining multiple PAC schools in the process.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom