UConn’s Vulnerabilities Heading To Postseason | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn’s Vulnerabilities Heading To Postseason

Reaction Score
If we just can get a small step up from Stewart and Ball (like getting 8-10 per game from them combined with 6 boards) I would feel as or more confident than I did about last years team in March.

This is a good call, too. We really do not much get offense off the bench. Diarra is a good for 5-6 and Samson will catch a lob or two. But that's really it. If any of our starters are off, there's nobody who we could turn to for a bucket from the bench. Last year we had Naheim, DC, and Joey C. That was almost 20/gm from the bench.

Reaction Score
We get sloppy and careless with the ball at times, have to clean that up. I love Tristen and all that he brings but I think his shot selection at times is a head shaker. Keep playing to their identity, go hard on the offensive glass, team ball should get us there.

Reaction Score
This is a good call, too. We really do not much get offense off the bench. Diarra is a good for 5-6 and Samson will catch a lob or two. But that's really it. If any of our starters are off, there's nobody who we could turn to for a bucket from the bench. Last year we had Naheim, DC, and Joey C. That was almost 20/gm from the bench.
We clearly have the best starting 5 in the country and our starting 5 is better this year than last. If one of our starters is off another starter gets 20+ instead of the typical 15 to offset it.

Reaction Score
It may not look as pretty, but the difference isn't as drastic as you'd think. Our 6-9 spots on the bench last year averaged 20.0 per game, this year it's 17.8. And with Stewart becoming a bigger part of the rotation I'd expect that to creep up even closer to 20 too

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It may not look as pretty, but the difference isn't as drastic as you'd think. Our 6-9 spots on the bench last year averaged 20.0 per game, this year it's 17.8. And with Ross becoming a bigger part of the rotation I'd expect that to creep up even closer to 20 too

Did I miss where Ross is becoming a part of the rotation?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
First - we have 5 starters who can all score in double figures every night. This starting 5 is better than last year's team. We can score from the outside and the inside. Wehave arguably the 3 best guards in the country. On offense we have learned to adapt to different situations. With Clingan being sidelined and Castle being out for a spell along with Karaban, the team has held it's own as our record indicates. Hurley can play 8 - 9 without a problem.

Defensively, we're good even with Clingan and others being out. Johnson has filled in admirably when called on. No, he is not Clingan, but he holds his own most of the time. Diarra has been the 6th man all season. Quality minutes both on offense and defense and running the offense. Ball has had some very good moments and Stewart has been decent.

Everyone needs to relax and enjoy this team. The glass is more than half full.

Reaction Score
The keys to beating us in my mind:

Defense - You gotta be able to switch 1-4. We don't attack mismatches much, so it's less about physical profile and more about team communication and discipline. You need to be able to team rebound and probably have at least one bigger body to not get overwhelmed by Clingan. It doe help if your guards can play aggressive and physical D as well, especially against Spencer.

Offense - Strong and athletic 4 man and center that can stretch the floor help. More shooters to stretch us out and then strong or skilled players capable of driving. 4 or 5-out offense (Nova, Creighton) has killed us for years. We got a little fortunate last year that we played all teams with traditional centers in March. Nova has a terrible coach and still almost beat us this year. Marquette beat us 2/3 last year because they had a 4 who could shoot and attack the paint and a mobile 5. A 5 that can get DC in foul trouble also makes things easier for opponents.

Houston has the D, but 2 non-shooters isn't getting it done against us. I think we match up pretty well with Purdue. I'm not sure Arizona's guards are good enough to make us pay, though this year's Keshad Johnson who can make 3s is a tough matchup. Against Tennessee, I think we attack Knecht and have Newton drive and score over Zeigler. North Carolina didn't have the defensive chops, I doubt Illinois does either. Iowa St can't keep us off the boards or score enough. Duke's D probably not up to snuff.

Auburn is the team I don't want to see. We'll see how our games go with Marquette this year, but I don't love the matchup. Kansas is still a tough matchup on paper, especially with the Furphy emergence (though he's bad on D). Everyone else is going to have a tough time keeping up with our talent.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I meant Stewart, no idea where Ross came from
I was doing the same thing to start the year. Always got the two confused. Never figured out why, but when JStew started playing more it went away.

Reaction Score
I was doing the same thing to start the year. Always got the two confused. Never figured out why, but when JStew started playing more it went away.
I don’t see any. The only caveat is unforeseen injuries. Danny and the guys have already dealt with a ton of adversities and have brilliantly schemed to deal with really anything. There is no dominant team this year so keep playing at a high intensity level every game and we will hang the 6th banner.

Reaction Score
Samson, Diarra and Ball to a lesser degree can definitely give you 8 points each any given night.
Eh... The last time SJ gave us 8 or more was when he was starting. The last time Ball gave us 8 or more was against Xavier which is in the middle of an 8 game streak where he has been scoreless 6 times. Diarra has had some moments but I don't look him as a guy who can give us a scoring boost off the bench. The main point is that we do not have a guy like Naheim or Joey C that you know can come off the bench and make shots. Nor do we have DC of last year who would consistently get you 6-8 in dunks and garbage points a game.

Bench scoring last 7 games:
Butler - 12
SJU - 6
Prov - 4
Xavier - 36
Nova - 9 (DC = 6)
Creighton - 11
GTown - 9

Bench scoring is an issue.

Reaction Score
If we just can get a small step up from Stewart and Ball (like getting 8-10 per game from them combined with 6 boards) I would feel as or more confident than I did about last years team in March.
I think this is the answer. If our vaunted frosh can’t develop to the point they are able to effectively contribute CONSISTENTLY, then that is a vulnerability. Hope is not a plan, we need to know it

Reaction Score
If Clingan is in foul trouble and Newton, Karaban, Spencer and Castle all simultaneously have terrible games we'll be ripe for the picking.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
As one of the leading minds on the subject of UConn basketball, I will say that I’m 100 percent confident that we have no flaws. Trim the rotation to 7 come post season and we are good to go.

Reaction Score
There have been some good takes here and I think Clingan foul trouble is the best one from what I've read. Our roster has a lot of ways and combination possibilities to save us if things aren't working and Hurley's great defense is key. Sorry about the thread title.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Clingan foul trouble and big physical 4’s that can bully Karaban down low (he’s been better here and there aren’t a ton in the country that can really exploit this.

This and free throws. Karaban isn’t the greatest defender and he does foul often against bigger players. He has to be efficient and score on the offensive end if he’s struggling defensively.

Sometimes when our guards have been pressured they haven’t handled it well but I’d assume the staff will have the ready by tourney time.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
This and free throws. Karaban isn’t the greatest defender and he does foul often against bigger players. He has to be efficient and score on the offensive end if he’s struggling defensively.

Sometimes when our guards have been pressured they haven’t handled it well but I’d assume the staff will have the ready by tourney time.

Castle’s size and the the way he’s been playing allows us to have him at the 4 and Diarra slide in if Karaban is struggling

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Wait, isn't the post season over 5 weeks away? I'll tell you then.
Biggest vulnerabilities would be mental lapses arising from the coaches and players putting their attentions toward many weeks later than now, rather than seeking steady improvement upon weaknesses identified from game film and preparing for each game as it comes.
I meant Stewart, no idea where Ross came from
Somebody wrote "Jaydin" Stewart within the past week.

Oh, and maybe we could be hurt if Pitino recruits an unwitting spy who generates a brainstorming session among knowledgeable fans to learn the team's greatest vulnerabilities and is thrilled to be getting paid with giant sandwiches.

I sure hope that the team has its attention elsewhere and is working on things to integrate freshman more fully into the offensive flow and imparts confidence that translates into increased point production from the bench.

Rushed shots result in unforced disruption to offensive flow.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Make their defense even more consistent.
Have Tristen force his shot less

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Have we seen much zone defense this year? That could neutralize our PnR offense or Clingan post-ups.
Not with a healthy Karaban. He goes to the foul line and picks them apart. My main concern is when nobody can hit a three. But that only seems to happen for stretches, not entire games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom