UConn’s Vulnerabilities Heading To Postseason | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn’s Vulnerabilities Heading To Postseason

Reaction Score
Who has had big games against us this year?

Liam Lloyd - 6'5" 3-point shooter
Jackson Benigni - 6'1" guard, local kid
Rayquan Brown - 6'6" guard, was inefficient but 5 oreb.
Malik Reneau - 6'9" forward, post moves mostly, did foul out
Dillon Mitchell - 6'8" forward, very athletic, his only 20 point game of the season.
NH had 3 guys who were hot from 3.
KJ Adams - 6'7" forward, athletic.
Kevin McCullar - 6'6" guard, strong and made clutch shots. (Castle was out).
RJ Davis - 6'0" guard, All-American candidate, made shots.
Harrison Ingram - 6'8" forward, shot well.
Rashad Williams - 6'2" guard, shot well from 3.
Anton Watson - 6'8" forward, he wasn't particularly efficient.
Kadary Richmond - 6'6" guard, strong and athletic. Tons of steals.
Dre Davis - 6'5" guard, strong.
Da'Sean Nelson -6'8" center (Clingan was out).
DJ Davis - 6'1" guard, jitterbug shooter.
Pierre Brooks - 6'6" guard, strong, both Butler guys hot from 3.
Quincy Olivari - 6'2" guard, drew a bunch of fouls.
Supreme Cook - 6'9" center, killed us on boards (Clingan was out).
Dayvion McKnight - 6'1" guard. Like a fly against a hurricane.
Devin Carter - 6'3" guard, All American candidate.
Josh Oduro - 6'9" center. Had his way with Clingan.
Daniss Jenkins - 6'3" guard, shot well.
DJ Davis x 2 - 6'1" guard, shot well.
Jahmyl Telfort - 6'7" forward, strong.

I don't really see a huge pattern. Some shooters, some great players, some strong wings, some athletic 4s, some centers when Clingan was out.

9 guys 6'3" or shorter. 9 wing-sized guys. 3 centers (2 when Clingan was out).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who has had big games against us this year?

Liam Lloyd - 6'5" 3-point shooter
Jackson Benigni - 6'1" guard, local kid
Rayquan Brown - 6'6" guard, was inefficient but 5 oreb.
Malik Reneau - 6'9" forward, post moves mostly, did foul out
Dillon Mitchell - 6'8" forward, very athletic, his only 20 point game of the season.
NH had 3 guys who were hot from 3.
KJ Adams - 6'7" forward, athletic.
Kevin McCullar - 6'6" guard, strong and made clutch shots. (Castle was out).
RJ Davis - 6'0" guard, All-American candidate, made shots.
Harrison Ingram - 6'8" forward, shot well.
Rashad Williams - 6'2" guard, shot well from 3.
Anton Watson - 6'8" forward, he wasn't particularly efficient.
Kadary Richmond - 6'6" guard, strong and athletic. Tons of steals.
Dre Davis - 6'5" guard, strong.
Da'Sean Nelson -6'8" center (Clingan was out).
DJ Davis - 6'1" guard, jitterbug shooter.
Pierre Brooks - 6'6" guard, strong, both Butler guys hot from 3.
Quincy Olivari - 6'2" guard, drew a bunch of fouls.
Supreme Cook - 6'9" center, killed us on boards (Clingan was out).
Dayvion McKnight - 6'1" guard. Like a fly against a hurricane.
Devin Carter - 6'3" guard, All American candidate.
Josh Oduro - 6'9" center. Had his way with Clingan.
Daniss Jenkins - 6'3" guard, shot well.
DJ Davis x 2 - 6'1" guard, shot well.
Jahmyl Telfort - 6'7" forward, strong.

I don't really see a huge pattern. Some shooters, some great players, some strong wings, some athletic 4s, some centers when Clingan was out.

9 guys 6'3" or shorter. 9 wing-sized guys. 3 centers (2 when Clingan was out).

The pattern is that most of the guards/combo forwards you mentioned said "strong" or "athletic" as part of your description. That's it. If a team can match up against Tristen, Cam, or AK with somebody who has a quickness/athleticism advantage, those players tend to play well. That's the way to attack us offensively. Pull Clingan out as much as possible and either force him to switch or get ISOs with Tristen, Cam, or AK.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
1. Clingan foul trouble
2. Stretch 4’s and 5’s that can pull our bigs away from the basket. Combined with quick guards who can drive.
3. Opposing player going for 30+

Teams that come to mind, are Tennessee. Very physical, good experienced guards, bigs that can step out if need be, and Dalton Knecht can go for 40+ if he wants. Castle guarding him is our only hope of shutting him down outside of an off-shooting night.

Reaction Score
Our team is good. Can they be beat? Sure. Do they have weaknesses? I dont think so... i mean what were the coaches supposed to do in the offseason? The team is lights out. Are they guaranteed to win the NC? No. Do they have a good shot? Absolutely.

Newton, Spencer, Castle can give you 20. With enough minutes probably Diarra as well. But can they be outplayed... maybe. But its not likely.

Does our back up center enter the game and crush the competition like last year? No... but the guy we have is pretty good. Weve won with worse backup centers.

We can probably beat most of the field with a pretty good game. But theres a few teams we are going to need to play well to beat.
We won a national championship with Phil Nolan at the 5

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
An athletic team that can switch 1-4?
Valid. I think Dan learned from the Kansas game, so we are better able to handle that than we were. It still hurts our normal offense and forces us to a bit more inside-out type game. So I'd say that's especially a concern if combined with DC foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Clingan foul trouble and big physical 4’s that can bully Karaban down low (he’s been better here and there aren’t a ton in the country that can really exploit this.
In defense to Karaban he has added strength so that isn't as much of a problem. Though now forwards especially are getting past him more as he has lost some lateral quickness with the added girth. He can still jump and block shots on his man which is good. I'm more worried with the 5 position. Clingan is inury and foul prone and Samson has regressed from earlier in the year and is foul waiting to happen.

Reaction Score
1. Clingan foul trouble
2. Stretch 4’s and 5’s that can pull our bigs away from the basket. Combined with quick guards who can drive.
3. Opposing player going for 30+

Teams that come to mind, are Tennessee. Very physical, good experienced guards, bigs that can step out if need be, and Dalton Knecht can go for 40+ if he wants. Castle guarding him is our only hope of shutting him down outside of an off-shooting night.

A 5 out-cutter efficient offensive team will have a shot to put up big #'s against the likes of Purdue ect...regardless if the big is in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Agree with what's been posted, but I'll add I'm not overly confident in offensive depth. Last year, we had 3 guys coming off the bench who could mess around and give you ~8pts any given night (Clingan, Calcaterra, Alleyne). This year, we may have only one who's capable (Ball), but it feels less reliable as his minutes dwindle. Diarra is trending positively, which has been awesome to watch, so maybe he can be THE new bench guy. I want Samson to be able as well, but as others have pointed out, he's wildly inconsistent. This puts more emphasis on defense during those stretches where we're playing guys 6, 7 and 8 in the rotation, and I wonder if that'll continue to be sustainable in 2.5-3 weeks.

Reaction Score
teams with lots of athleticism... Both of our losses are against teams that were quicker, stronger, and more athletic than us. Our guards/Karaban can get beat off the dribble quite a bit.
Think you’re right. Particularly at guard, strong guards give us trouble.

Reaction Score
I do not really think backup center is our problem. If you look through the country, how many teams have a better backup center than us? I bet its under 10 teams

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
If we just can get a small step up from Stewart and Ball (like getting 8-10 per game from them combined with 6 boards) I would feel as or more confident than I did about last years team in March.

Reaction Score
The way to scheme defense against UConn is to sag off the C (clog the lane against our off ball movement) and have athletic Gs/Fs switching everything PG-PF (no open looks and defense doesn’t get stuck behind the play)

Sounds easy but requires a LOT of unwavering communication and focus. Hard to maintain for a full 40 minutes. Miss 1 assignment and we’re shooting an open 3 or at the hoop

The way to scheme offense against UConn is to get Clingan in foul trouble, get a good driver matched up with Cam/Newton/Karaban, and then relentlessly attack the paint

#1 priority for Clingan the rest of the year is to learn to contest without fouling. Him being on the floor completely eliminates that offensive scheme for other teams

It’s hard. Very hard. So many options to this UConn team and you can’t fully take away everything

Reaction Score
A team making 10 threes a game isn't unusual any more. Plenty of teams make 9 or more a game on average.
A team would have to make at least 15 threes to get my attention for being "hot" from 3.
47 out of 362 teams make 9 or more 3's per game so I'd say it's still well above average. And only 16 teams make 10 or more

Reaction Score
Have we seen much zone defense this year? That could neutralize our PnR offense or Clingan post-ups.

I'm mostly worried about Karaban being taken out of the game. He's really the piece that enables everything else in our offense to work.

Reaction Score
I don't even think foul trouble at the 5 is really a vulnerability. Donovan Clingan and Samson Johnson have spent 75% of the season in foul trouble (or injured) and it hasn't even really affected our play. It would obviously suck and cause a shift in game plan, but I don't see it hurting us. And I also see it as much less of an issue away from Big East refs.

I guess the team that would scare me most is someone with big guards that could neutralize our advantage there, and also has 4 or 5 guys who can shoot, and switch everything on defense. But that team doesn't exist, which is why I think this season ends up in at least the Elite 8 where anything can happen regardless of how we matchup

Reaction Score
Our biggest vulnerability was actually highlighted in Tuesday night's game against Butler. A team with a combination of strong guards who are good with the kick out to shooters who hit a few more shots when they are open. Butler had 3 or 4 chances to make us really start sweating in the latter stages of that game, but they missed each of those penultimate shots. If any of them go down and Butler gets our lead under 5...

A team with a little more talent on a better shooting night in the tournament could put us in that position. Then let's see what happens when things get tight around the collar for us.

Otherwise, I agree that a strong 4 with some offensive game that gets Karaban either into foul trouble or at least back on his heals enough times is our other biggest vulnerability. We do not have anyone who matches up defensively against a DeJuan Blair/Jerome Lane-type of player... not that their are many DeJuan Blair/Jerome Lane-types floating around college basketball currently, if any.
Im not buying a strong 4 is something we really need to worry about. That was more of a weakness last year. Some teams were able to take advantage a little... but it just lead to a few buckets. Nothing we werent able to overcome. Karaban didnt just sit there and take it either. He gave it back with threes, passing and generally smart basketball. Finally that was last year. Alex is one year stronger.

Reaction Score
A bad night from 4 of our starters
Cling Kong foul trouble
Bad foul shooting on our end
A team that has multiple guards and a big who can play well outside

3 out of the 4 above are self inflicted wounds. A team with a mix of vets, young guys with deep experience, and a coach who just won his first, should be able to avoid self inflicted wounds. This is why I feel very good about the Tournament

Reaction Score
Flashier? Few.

Better? Many.

Johnson makes the highlight-reel plays with alley-oops where he's 2 feet above the rim (which, don't get me wrong, adds value to our offense when we can execute it). But he's a mediocre on-ball defender against opposing bigs, doesn't protect the rim as well as a guy with his hops and length should, and has among the worst rebounding instincts we've seen.

One could argue that we'd be better off with a backup 5 along the lines of a Charles Okwandu who, for all his limitations, at least made the steady plays and kept the opposing team in check in the time he was spelling better players.

That said, this isn't really our biggest vulnerability since we can even go to small-ball lineups for a time if needed.
I think this is a little harsh and unfair. He had virtually no time last season and with Clingan's foot problem was a starter all of a sudden. If he as bad as you paint him to be, the stretch with no Clingan and the games where Clingan is in foul trouble all game would have surely bit us in the rear and it hasn't.

Reaction Score
I worry about the scrappy, unorthodox team that plays with a big chip on their shoulder. Like how Seton Hall played us earlier in the year. Throws us out of our rhythm and let's their physicality dictate the flow.

To counter that? I think it's all on Newton. He's the guy to ensure we pay OUR game EVERY night.

Reaction Score
Agree with what's been posted, but I'll add I'm not overly confident in offensive depth. Last year, we had 3 guys coming off the bench who could mess around and give you ~8pts any given night (Clingan, Calcaterra, Alleyne). This year, we may have only one who's capable (Ball), but it feels less reliable as his minutes dwindle. Diarra is trending positively, which has been awesome to watch, so maybe he can be THE new bench guy. I want Samson to be able as well, but as others have pointed out, he's wildly inconsistent. This puts more emphasis on defense during those stretches where we're playing guys 6, 7 and 8 in the rotation, and I wonder if that'll continue to be sustainable in 2.5-3 weeks.
Samson, Diarra and Ball to a lesser degree can definitely give you 8 points each any given night.

Reaction Score
Biggest thing missing to me from this team vs last years is that we sometimes have a tendency to go on some scoring droughts.

We don’t have an Adama, Aka a guy who we can get the ball to, clear out & just get a bucket when the other team starts going on a run.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom