Uconn’s next coach | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Uconn’s next coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Have you looked at Konkols record this year?

Yes this year was barely above .500 after two strong years. Not sure why but certainly needs to be explained.

Here's what La Tech said when they hired him:

"McClelland added that "140 to 150" names were initially floated around using a search firm. Konkol's name didn't initially come up, but when narrowing the search using six guiding principles —recruiting, player development, cultural fit, like-ability, driven, and style of play — Konkol checked all the boxes to jump toward the top of McClelland's list."

Brad Stevens also spoke very highly of him and his BB intelligence.

I'd rather take a chance on a young, up and coming coach like this than someone like Hurley. So many here have anointed Hurley but I'm not sure he is that much of an upgrade over Ollie. I don't want us to hire someone just because we hear he's interested or because he's coaching in New England. Rather do a national search.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yes this year was barely above .500 after two strong years. Not sure why but certainly needs to be explained.

"McClelland added that "140 to 150" names were initially floated around using a search firm. Konkol's name didn't initially come up, but when narrowing the search using six guiding principles —recruiting, player development, cultural fit, like-ability, driven, and style of play — Konkol checked all the boxes to jump toward the top of McClelland's list."

I'd rather take a chance on a young, up and coming coach like this than someone like Hurley. So many here have anointed Hurley but I'm not sure he is that much of an upgrade over Ollie. I don't want us to hire someone just because we hear he's interested or because he's coaching in New England. Rather do a national search.

"I think he would be a good recruiter and return UConn to the pinnacle."

That's "anointing" too.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Oats signed a 5 year extension yesterday at Buffalo...not happening. Hurley is still our best option

Ugh. I missed that. That one really hurts.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Hurley is a young up and comer. Hurly is 45. Konkol is 41.

Hurley just has more experience. He's had multiple programs trend upwards. Konkol might be trending down after taking over White's program--we've no idea yet.

The main reason for your argument appears to be that the LA Tech AD liked Konkol, and Brad Stevens complimented him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Eric Konkol would be my pick. He's a great upcoming coach.

Konkol has shown absolutely nothing in his three years at La Tech...I don't understand why so many are throwing his name out. In his time as HC they have finished 154, 93 and 153 in Kenpom. That is considered good or even solid nowadays?

Reaction Score
If not Ollie, then Tom Crean. Richard or Rick Pitino ain't bad. The Pitinos love the Northeast

Reaction Score
Hurley is a young up and comer. Hurly is 45. Konkol is 41.

Hurley just has more experience. He's had multiple programs trend upwards. Konkol might be trending down after taking over White's program--we've no idea yet.

The main reason for your argument appears to be that the LA Tech AD liked Konkol, and Brad Stevens complimented him.

Not really. I like his overall resume and skill set. Of course none of us have enough information or knowledge to really know. I just hope DB does a thorough search and finds the coach that can restore the program to its previous elite level and not just go with a guy who is nearby and has expressed interest in the job. Some of the next generation of elite coaches are currently in lower level programs waiting for an opportunity just like JC was three decades ago. Time to do a thorough search and find that coach.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Not really. I like his overall resume and skill set. Of course none of us have enough information or knowledge to really know. I just hope DB does a thorough search and finds the coach that can restore the program to its previous elite level and not just go with a guy who is nearby and has expressed interest in the job. Some of the next generation of elite coaches are currently in lower level programs waiting for an opportunity just like JC was three decades ago. Time to do a thorough search and find that coach.

They’re gonna pay someone to do that research.

Probably the same firm they used to hire AD Dave.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If OKC fails to make the playoffs it may not be a bad idea to reach out to Billy D.

Reaction Score
I pray UConn would never sink so low as to hire a piece of “whatever” like Pitino. I’d honestly rather keep KO given that choice.

In a fantasy world I’d want Brad Stevens or Geno.

Power6ix

Drop Football
Reaction Score
Rick Pitino recently was in the news saying he'd love to coach again. Do you guys think it'd be premature for UConn to hire him this offseason coming off his most recent allegations?

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Calhoun would blow up Gampel if they hired Pitino. Geno would blow up the men’s side of the basketball complex. Not worth the baggage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom