UCONN’s 2023 NBA Prospects | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UCONN’s 2023 NBA Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know he doesn’t fit the current NBA profile and measured 6-7 at the NBA Combine, but Adama is easily one of the top twenty players on this year’s draft. The mock drafts all say he won’t be drafted there but all he does is beat people rated higher than him. He’s has very quick feet for a guy his size, has great strength and skill. He’s a torture chamber fir his opponent.

Reaction Score

Jordan Hawkins, 6-5 sophomore guard, UConn. “Best shooter in the draft. To me, he’s like Devin Booker. Devin wasn’t that well thought of coming out of college. Has the ability to catch and shoot, or score off one or two bounces. He has a quick release. He has some talent defensively, but he has to get stronger, and you wonder how much he will buy into that. Physical play does bother him. You worry about him getting pushed around. You hope in time he can become a pretty good defender. He has to at least not be a net negative on defense.”

Adama Sanogo, 69 junior center, UConn. “I just don’t see him making it. He’s a dinosaur. He’s not a rim protector, not a switchable defender. Great kid, but there may not be a place for him in today’s NBA. He’s going to struggle guarding stretch fives and stretch fours. Sometimes you just run out of talent. Can he make it as a center in this league at his size?”

Andre Jackson, 6-6 junior forward, UConn. “If he could shoot at all he’d be a lottery pick. Competitive locker room leader. Mr. Utility Guy. He can do all the Draymond Green stuff. He won’t fit in everywhere. He came to Chicago for the combine and it looked like he was trying to change his shot from what he did during the season. It was awkward. His shot’s gotta be torn down and rebuilt. He has elite athleticism and the ability to make plays, but he has to be in the right situation.”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He shot 29.2% on 2 point jumpers as a freshman and 31.0% as a sophomore, so he really struggled with those shots both years
Keep in mind, as you already alluded to, if you are taking a two point middy often that's because the shot you wanted, or a path to the hoop wasn't available to you. In essence the mid range jumper was your bailout shot. I think that was mostly the case for Hawkins. He wasn't taking those at the the foul line as part of a predetermined set.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
That's at a macro level, you can't have a team building their offense around mid-range shots because it's inefficient. That doesn't mean players don't need to have the ability to knock down the occasional mid-range shot when the defense closes out on a shooter.

Hawkins (or any player) is never going to take the majority of his shots from the mid-range. He's not going to go undrafted or be out of the league in 2 years if he doesn't develop a mid-range game. It's just the little boost that pushes him from being a 10+ year role player as a 3+D guy like Duncan Robinson or Joe Harris, to a piece you hope develops into a reliable starter and is a well-rounded player
It was the last piece of the puzzle for Kemba. Picked it up on the summer before his final year (junior).
Keeps the defenders honest.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I didn't like this comment about Hawk: "He has some talent defensively, but he has to get stronger, and you wonder how much he will buy into that." Why does one have to wonder about buy-in from him? One of the myriad of reasons UConn was so good this year is that our "star" worked as hard as anyone else on defense. Why wouldn't that continue?

Reaction Score
I didn't like this comment about Hawk: "He has some talent defensively, but he has to get stronger, and you wonder how much he will buy into that." Why does one have to wonder about buy-in from him? One of the myriad of reasons UConn was so good this year is that our "star" worked as hard as anyone else on defense. Why wouldn't that continue?
I agree that buy-in shouldn’t be an issue with him. There’s never been any indication he wasn’t working, and we saw his improvement on both ends of the floor all year. The legitimate concern (Vecenie elaborated for The Athletic) is how much stronger can he get with his frame without sacrificing quickness and athleticism? That’s even more important than improving his shot-creation and ability to finish, because he needs to defend well enough to stay on the floor come playoff time. His shot-making will play from day one.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
I agree that buy-in shouldn’t be an issue with him. There’s never been any indication he wasn’t working, and we saw his improvement on both ends of the floor all year. The legitimate concern (Vecenie elaborated for The Athletic) is how much stronger can he get with his frame without sacrificing quickness and athleticism? That’s even more important than improving his shot-creation and ability to finish, because he needs to defend well enough to stay on the floor come playoff time. His shot-making will play from day one.
The scouts had those same exact concerns with Rip. How'd that work out?

Reaction Score
The scouts had those same exact concerns with Rip. How'd that work out?
I’m not saying he won’t be a solid enough defender, just that his strength is more of an issue than his buy-in or work ethic. I think Hawkins will have an excellent NBA career. I can’t assume he’ll be a borderline-HOF like Rip. I can certainly hope so.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
ESPN’s latest:

Hawkins - #14 to New Orleans
Jackson - #33 to San Antonio
Sanogo - #57 to Washington

14. New Orleans Pelicans

Jordan Hawkins
UConn
SG

Chatter surrounding the Pelicans' potential move toward the top of the draft for Henderson has died down in recent days, with the Hornets appearing unlikely to deal the No. 2 pick, the Blazers listening to a range of callers for No. 3 and New Orleans seemingly uninterested in dealing Zion Williamson or Brandon Ingram -- the type of return moving up that high in this draft would likely require. The Pelicans could still look to move around in the draft on a smaller scale, but if they stay at No. 14, Hawkins' deadeye movement shooting would immediately add a different dimension to their personnel on a roster already full of ball handlers. His experience level and valuable role might make him more appealing here than trying to develop a younger guard on a longer timeline. Hawkins could be off the board already, with Orlando and Toronto looking at him as an option, and if New Orleans were to pass, he likely won't fall too far into the teens. -- Woo

Reaction Score
Mock drafts from what I could find...

Jordan:
Yahoo - 17
Draftnet -17
SBNation - 21
Ringer - 21
Bleacher Report - 16
ESPN - 14
Athletic - 16

Andre:
Yahoo - 38
Draftnet - 32
Ringer - 35
Bleacher Report - 35
ESPN - 33
Athletic - 28

Adama:
Yahoo - 52
Draftnet - 49
Ringer - 44
ESPN - 57

Reaction Score

Jordan:
Yahoo - 17
Draftnet -17
SBNation - 21
Ringer - 21
Bleacher Report - 16
ESPN - 14
Athletic - 16

Andre:
Yahoo - 38
Draftnet - 32
Ringer - 35
Bleacher Report - 35
ESPN - 33
Athletic - 28

Adama:
Yahoo - 52
Draftnet - 49
Ringer - 44
ESPN - 57

I feel like all of our guys are going earlier than these projections. I'm so biased it's scary though.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score

Jordan:
Yahoo - 17
Draftnet -17
SBNation - 21
Ringer - 21
Bleacher Report - 16
ESPN - 14
Athletic - 16

Andre:
Yahoo - 38
Draftnet - 32
Ringer - 35
Bleacher Report - 35
ESPN - 33
Athletic - 28

Adama:
Yahoo - 52
Draftnet - 49
Ringer - 44
ESPN - 57
Crazy how Andre's stock has risen. So excited for him.

Reaction Score
Excitement is building for this draft, its been awhile other than Bouk that we have 3 guys that are going to be drafted getting that Uconn brand out there. I believe most projections are accurate. Just hoping Adama going earlier then listed. Good off-season times for us. Enjoy.

Reaction Score
This is a weird take on Sanogo. He's not a Dinosaur, if anything Clingan is more of a Dinosaur style big. He's not a 5, he's a 4 that is strong enough to guard small ball 5s. I think there will be teams that see it and teams that don't. Same with Andre.
I agree, these scouts are off the mark. To not have an understanding about what great quick feet Adama has is unbelievable. And since when has winning games gone out of style?
As for Andre, they focus on the one part of his game that’s not superb. I actually don’t think his shot mechanics are so broken. He has a decent arch on his shot, good back spin and a soft touch. What he must improve on is confidence and locking in mentally on his shot and focusing his vision just over the front of the rim. All very doable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

(No. 15) G Jordan Hawkins, UConn

Profile | 6-5, 170 pounds | April 2002

2022-23 stats: 37 games, 16.2 points, 3.8 rebounds, 1.3 assists, 0.7 steals, 40.9% FG, 38.8% 3P

A Big East coach: “Make him make twos. Can’t relax for a second when he is on the floor. Maybe is the best I’ve ever seen at stopping and starting. He is running full speed off a variety of screens and ranges to get his shot. Incredible! He got better with the ball in his hands in not catch-and-shoot situations.”

A Big East coach: “He is extremely deadly without needing the ball. Almost Klay Thompson-like. Running off screens, shooting behind a ball screen, or a handoff, he’s the best. He competes on the defensive end as well. Taller and longer than the eye test makes you think.”

Reaction Score

(No. 15) G Jordan Hawkins, UConn

Profile | 6-5, 170 pounds | April 2002

2022-23 stats: 37 games, 16.2 points, 3.8 rebounds, 1.3 assists, 0.7 steals, 40.9% FG, 38.8% 3P

A Big East coach: “Make him make twos. Can’t relax for a second when he is on the floor. Maybe is the best I’ve ever seen at stopping and starting. He is running full speed off a variety of screens and ranges to get his shot. Incredible! He got better with the ball in his hands in not catch-and-shoot situations.”

A Big East coach: “He is extremely deadly without needing the ball. Almost Klay Thompson-like. Running off screens, shooting behind a ball screen, or a handoff, he’s the best. He competes on the defensive end as well. Taller and longer than the eye test makes you think.”

You read scouting reports like this and then you have the bozo mock draft and player ranking group who have him ranked like 25-40. Makes no sense

Reaction Score

Jordan:
Yahoo - 17
Draftnet -17
SBNation - 21
Ringer - 21
Bleacher Report - 16
ESPN - 14
Athletic - 16

Andre:
Yahoo - 38
Draftnet - 32
Ringer - 35
Bleacher Report - 35
ESPN - 33
Athletic - 28

Adama:
Yahoo - 52
Draftnet - 49
Ringer - 44
ESPN - 57
This feels about right. Lottery is probably a bit high for Hawkins, but not far after that.

Jackson, it's unlikely a GM is going to stick his neck out there with a 1st round pick, but early 2nd is believable.

Sanogo, someone should take a flyer late 2nd, but after watching Jokic dominate and win the title, a guy like Sanogo just doesn't fit these days. It's pretty wild to think that not even 20 years ago, Okafor, a better defender but worse offensive player than Sanogo, at basically the same size and position, went #2 overall. Sanogo won't sniff the 1st round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom