UConn–San Diego State Final Delivers Historically Low Ratings | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn–San Diego State Final Delivers Historically Low Ratings

Reaction Score
Everything is the lowest rated everything lately, and will continue to be. A higher percentage of people this year don't have cable, and next year and beyond will be worse.

Frankly, i think the networks are in a bit of a bind here, or will be soon. Over the last 30+ years, the big networks started new networks under their umbrellas (24 hour news/sports/movies/etc...), and now less and less people are watching, but they still have to pay for programming to fill the air time.
As of now the advertisers seem to still be paying, but you have to think that will change soon as they decide to invest their ad dollars elsewhere. This includes live sports. They are all down except for the NFL really. Seems like a bubble primed to burst.

Reaction Score
It's funny, I was going to post something similar.

Could care less about ratings, whether people find it interesting or whatever.

People who really love college basketball watched the game. That's all that matters.
Unfortunately, it does matter, particularly when the Big East is poised to renegotiate a new broadcast rights agreement. More eyeballs means more money ; networks will look at the leagues biggest brand attracting disappointing ratings in a National Championship game and argue the BE is not that valuable a commodity

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Everything is the lowest rated everything lately, and will continue to be. A higher percentage of people this year don't have cable, and next year and beyond will be worse.

Frankly, i think the networks are in a bit of a bind here, or will be soon. Over the last 30+ years, the big networks started new networks under their umbrellas (24 hour news/sports/movies/etc...), and now less and less people are watching, but they still have to pay for programming to fill the air time.
As of now the advertisers seem to still be paying, but you have to think that will change soon as they decide to invest their ad dollars elsewhere. This includes live sports. They are all down except for the NFL really. Seems like a bubble primed to burst.
Less people maybe watching for whatever reason, but it's not because cord cutters don't have cable. The Final 4 was on CBS, which is a legacy OTA network, this year. One does need cable to get the CBS mothership. Only an Internet/data connection. I just tuned into The Price Is Right as I type (Incidentally, when did Drew Carey get in touch with his inner Darryl Hall?).

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, it does matter, particularly when the Big East is poised to renegotiate a new broadcast rights agreement. More eyeballs means more money ; networks will look at the leagues biggest brand attracting disappointing ratings in a National Championship game and argue the BE is not that valuable a commodity
But unless they're deciding to move completely away from basketball that's not what the numbers will say. UConn still had the #1 and #4 most watched basketball games this year

Reaction Score
UConn was a heavy favorite and led double digits 35 minutes of the game. If I was a casual fan at 11pm and saw UConn by14. I would move on too. Same thing if Duke and Kansas are playing for a title.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
LOL

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Interesting how that Kentucky/Ohio/Tennessee/Indiana area watched like that. And Boston and even NY didn’t watch as much.

Say what you want, but that quad state area you mentioned LOVES college hoops and is very knowledgeable on the day to day state of the game. That's actually not surprising at all. NY not college town, and Boston way worse. Even with UConn.

DALTX

People better get us now ... because it's coming
Reaction Score
Because a lot of UConn Nation was at the game

Reaction Score
Say what you want, but that quad state area you mentioned LOVES college hoops and is very knowledgeable on the day to day state of the game. That's actually not surprising at all. NY not college town, and Boston way worse. Even with UConn.
Yeah I guess a lot of UK grads fan out around the area. Still interesting

Cincinnati is basically in Kentucky

Reaction Score
Was it just largely because it started late at night, or, was it a lack of national interest in the game.

Combination:
1. Bad time! I realize game always on Monday, but not as appealing as a weekend. Too late! Why couldn't they tip at 7p Central? Half of America and most kids in bed after 9pm on East Coast.

2. The trend away from live viewing. I think we are going to continue to see a downtrend in viewership for big games as people move toward streaming and On-Demand. Less incentive to take time out day and sit down to watch when can watch on delay with no commercials or when convenient.

3. Lack of teams with large viewership. A lot is being made of the "No Bluebloods" but that misses the point and I don't think is the issue. The average viewer likes cinderellas and underdogs as much as big names, maybe more. The issue was that all 4 teams in the Final Four have small dedicated viewerships (including UConn even though we are a "blueblood). Other than alumni and locals to the universities, UConn, SDSU, Miami, and FAU don't have large casual fanbases.

Reaction Score
The final round of the Masters had 12.6 million viewers -two million less the Natty.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom