UCLA vs Gonzaga | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UCLA vs Gonzaga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Feel for UCLA, what a shot though, onions!

The Zags are a solid team, but nothing better than what we've faced this season. Our guys will hopefully be up to the task.

Reaction Score
They put us in the Catholic school bracket. I guess we're kind of used to them by now.

Reaction Score
History will repeat itself.
Groundhogs-Day-mashup.jpg

Reaction Score
But if he missed and they hit a miracle they lose.
I just look at the odds though. If he misses, the odds that they rebound and can hoist up a 3 from 80 feet away is under 1%. If he makes it, the odds that they can throw it down the court, catch it clean enough to make a three is maybe 15%? 20%? Then the odds of losing in overtime is around 50%. So when you combine both events happening, the odds of UCLA winning is 7.5%? 10%? No matter how much you adjust the percentages, the odds of UCLA winning are significantly higher with a made free throw.

Reaction Score
Counter, they lose if they make that shot off the rebound. Make the second and worst case is OT.
I can live with that.

The odds of them making an 80 footer are much, much less than their odds of making one from out of bounds.

Reaction Score
I just look at the odds though. If he misses, the odds that they rebound and can hoist up a 3 from 80 feet away is under 1%. If he makes it, the odds that they can throw it down the court, catch it clean enough to make a three is maybe 15%? 20%? Then the odds of losing in overtime is around 50%. So when you combine both events happening, the odds of UCLA winning is 7.5%? 10%? No matter how much you adjust the percentages, the odds of UCLA winning are significantly higher with a made free throw.
Television 90S GIF

Reaction Score
The fact of the matter is that Gonzaga is and has been a perennial poster child for March for 20+ years (even though they still have zero hardware to show for it). If you want to make the legions of casuals (who know Gonzaga, Duke, Kansas, and little else) take notice and add UConn back to that group, this is the team we want to go through to get to the FF.

Reaction Score
IF Gonzaga comes back, we could bully the heck out of them.

Obviously, if Bona is still out for UCLA, that’s huge, but Nwaba ain’t bad defensively.

Still in AZ, so whoever wins, no scouting report til late Saturday morning. No business starting these before my travels, per mojo.
FYI You’re a really short flight to Vegas

Reaction Score
We lost to UCLA in the regional final in '96 (?) and didn't get to the final four.

We beat Gonzaga in the regional final in '99 and went to the final four and won it all.

So from a historic perspective, it is the right match up.

Reaction Score
UCLA is swinging at the arm trying to knock the ball loose, no foul call.

I look forward to the day when refs call the last 2-3 minutes the same way they call the first 37 minutes.
It won't happen, the refs got to live. Just let them play.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We lost to UCLA in the regional final in '96 (?) and didn't get to the final four.

We beat Gonzaga in the regional final in '99 and went to the final four and won it all.

Revenge game for them, tho.

Reaction Score
Scouting report for Gonzaga is very simple: Stop Timme and we win.
Let him get his points, don't foul.

Try to prevent entry passes, but no need to double him.

My big worry is the high hedge. He should be open a lot on pick and rolls, and diving when we hedge.

Reaction Score

We still owe UCLA. Would have liked payback.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else think Mick Cronin comes off as an arrogant jerk, when TV people interview him? He always seems to give himself credit for their success and not his players. I think Mark Few is a much classier coach and was rooting for Gonzaga in this game for that reason. Either team would have been a tough test, but I think UConn can beat anyone when they play well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom