UCLA postgame | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCLA postgame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I didn't watch the game, used livestats play by play, and won't watch the replay, so...

I take comfort in knowing that we lost to the #2 ranked team and we put up a fight.
I am sorry but over the course of this season, I believe in Aaliyah, Aubrey, Nika and Paige. Tonight not all 4 played to their potential but we lost to the #2 team by only 11 points...in November!!!
Yup, we are doomed!!!
KK stepped it up a bit to reach double figures, and we only got 3 points from the rest of the newbies.
Yup we are doomed!!!!!

GG

Reaction Score
They did start the game
If they were more aggressive from the start (I did not say they didn’t start). Paige was a little tentative so start and KK barely played because she was not contributing.

Reaction Score
The defense does not guard Nika or Aubrey - so it will be hard in the bigs. We have to play full court and create track meets or we cannot compete with the top 10.
Nika, Aubrey, and KK in starting lineup did not attract guarding at the perimeter which is understandable, so that makes it tough on the other two and when Edwards starts slow, she stays slow

Reaction Score
I didn't watch the game, used livestats play by play, and won't watch the replay, so...

I take comfort in knowing that we lost to the #2 ranked team and we put up a fight.
I am sorry but over the course of this season, I believe in Aaliyah, Aubrey, Nika and Paige. Tonight not all 4 played to their potential but we lost to the #2 team by only 11 points...in November!!!
Yup, we are doomed!!!
KK stepped it up a bit to reach double figures, and we only got 3 points from the rest of the newbies.
Yup we are doomed!!!!!
If you watched the game, you might feel differently.

Reaction Score
I followed along with the stats and while it didn't sound pretty, UCLA is one of the best in the country and UConn seemed to fight back in Q4 as much as they could. AE likely won't have another game like that again. PB was herself as usual, and if another consister scorer emerges UConn will be fine. Will they be NC fine? Debatable but the house isn't on fire by any means.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
NGL, I was anticipating a tough game, but a lot of what happened seemed very un-UConn like. UCLA going 71% for 3 pt in the first half was unreal. I'm not totally surprised of the result though. Loved Amari battling in the post on defense, however she reminds me of me, with some indecision on offense read/react, a paralysis by analysis. The bigger picture was going up against the #2 team in the nation after finding out a key starter and scorer is out for the year. Definitely not ideal. Coaches had to piece the team together both mentally, and tactically in a short time period.

That being said, I'm glad we had this game now in November. There is so much time left to rethink the starters, the sub pattern, who needs to do what, how we counter another team with size. If we were in March, there would not be much, if any time to recover and reconstruct the team, Shea's injury in the 1st round of the tourney in 1997 completely turned everything upside down, and the team never really recovered. Per Geno postgame, "Our combinations are all screwed up right now, so that's gotta get sorted out."

Geno has said that he intentionally plans the "murderer's row" schedule early, as he wants to play a competitive schedule so there aren't any surprises in March. A 3-2 record today is not going to doom us. Let's see what happens and look for both individual and collective growth within the team.

Reaction Score
I know I'll get a lot of down arrows but I didn't think Paige played all that well. 9 - 23 from the field and only 3 assists. She took some poor shots that really killed the momentum and forced shots looking for fouls. Additionally Kiki Rice had a much better all around game similar to Saniya Rivers a couple weeks ago. I don't think anyone played that well for UConn unfortunately. But they fought. Paige fought. Just wasn't enough.

It's tough to see all these first. UCLA and Cori Close beating Uconn for the first time. Last seasons sweet 16 loss, big east losses, losing in national championship game.

Reaction Score
Amari gave the team some good minutes tonight.
Didn't see the game, but did see the box-score. 0 Points, 0 Rebounds, 0 assists, 0 blocks, 0 steals, but she did have some stats, 2 turnovers and 1 foul. A little hard to imagine good minutes with that stat line.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I know I'll get a lot of down arrows but I didn't think Paige played all that well. 9 - 23 from the field and only 3 assists. She took some poor shots that really killed the momentum and forced shots looking for fouls. Additionally Kiki Rice had a much better all around game similar to Saniya Rivers a couple weeks ago. I don't think anyone played that well for UConn unfortunately. But they fought. Paige fought. Just wasn't enough.

It's tough to see all these first. UCLA and Cori Close beating Uconn for the first time. Last seasons sweet 16 loss, big east losses, losing in national championship game.
Sorry, the down arrow has been removed, but there still is the Ignore member option ...
And don't forget another of last year's "first"...Brenda Frese's first win over UConn. But we showed her this year! :)

Reaction Score
Didn't see the game, but did see the box-score. 0 Points, 0 Rebounds, 0 assists, 0 blocks, 0 steals, but she did have some stats, 2 turnovers and 1 foul. A little hard to imagine good minutes with that stat line.
From the radio it sounded like she did good on Betts. Boxed her out a couple of times, doubled her to cause a travel, and I think that's it

Reaction Score

All good things come to an end sooner or later.

Reaction Score
This program has won so much and there was a time when a win was all but guaranteed. Those days are over, too much talent spread out. Throw in major injuries and new pieces and that's what we see trying to figure things out in real time. Next game is tomorrow, they get another chance to grow as a team. I plan to enjoy....win or lose. Hoping for the 2nd and 4th quarter team though ;)

Reaction Score

Paige played very good. A lot of her misses were her shooting threes in the end of the game. And her being the only one doing anything she had to force some shots. Paige was definitely the best player on the floor it’s just her team wasn’t helping much. Kiki had help so we couldn’t just focus on her. She is really good too, I’m not saying she isn’t. But I agree about the firsts and as good as Paige is, I believe these other players aren’t up to UConn standards in regards to the kind of players we’ve gotten in the past. Some may disagree, but I’ve thought that for awhile. We aren’t athletic as a lot of teams and are to soft. Geno needs to recruit better. As I’ve said recently, these next two recruiting classes will be very telling as to where this dynasty is heading. We have two excellent pieces next year now he needs to focus on some tough athletic skilled bigs and more shooters, one is not enough.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Geno needs to stop going over seas looking for talent and focus on the kids here. It’s ok to have a couple of players from over seas but we are always not as athletic or tough as the better teams we play.

Well if most of the highly rated post players in the USA want to go to SC, Stanford and LSU he doesn't have much choice. We only had Nika and AE from outside the USA on the court tonight. Last year 2 of those "overseas" players carried us - Dorka and Lou. Janna may have helped a lot in a game like this had she not gotten hurt pre-season. I myself, like the foreign players a LOT. Keep gettiing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom