UCLA over Oregon State, 66-56 | The Boneyard

UCLA over Oregon State, 66-56

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I imagine most Boneyarders are asleep by now, what with the time difference and all, but I just got back from seeing the Oregon State-UCLA game at famed Pauley Pavilion. Oregon State came in as the only Pac-12 team still undefeated in conference play. UCLA came in with a huge sense of urgency after going 0-2 at the Washington schools last weekend.

It was an exciting back-and-forth game; in that sense it reminded me of the Louisville-FSU game. The teams stayed very close through the first quarter and a half. UCLA nosed out to a 6-point lead in the second quarter but was then held scoreless for more than 6 minutes until Nicole Kornet hit a 3 off a Jordan Canada assist at the halftime buzzer.

UCLA continued to struggle on offense in the second half (credit to OSU's defense), and Oregon State led by as much as 8 in the 3rd quarter. UCLA only managed a meager 6 points until yet another Canada-assisted Kornet 3-pointer cut the lead to 5 to end the quarter. Then, after scoring only 12 points over a 16-minute period, UCLA came alive and poured in 25 in the 4th quarter, including 10 by Canada and 8 by Monique Billings.

Canada's final stat line was impressive—18 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals—but even more impressive to me was her smothering, almost Moriah-like denial defense on Sydney Wiese, especially in the 2nd half. Canada repeatedly denied Wiese on the inbound, forcing other OSU players to bring the ball up and start the offense. And even when Wiese did get her hands on the ball, she made life very difficult for her. Wiese finished with 6 points on 2-of-12 shooting, and was held scoreless (0-of-4) in the second half.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Not sure if the PAC 12 deserves a #1 seed but they won't get one as they will beat each other up. Probably one or more of the PAC 12 teams will end up as a #2 Seed. Wouldn't want to be the #1 seed that gets sent to Stockton. Conversely wouldn't want to be the #2 seed that gets sent to Bridgeport.

Good Chance that 4 PAC 12 teams will end up hosting first and second round games.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not sure if the PAC 12 deserves a #1 seed but they won't get one as they will beat each other up. Probably one or more of the PAC 12 teams will end up as a #2 Seed. Wouldn't want to be the #1 seed that gets sent to Stockton. Conversely wouldn't want to be the #2 seed that gets sent to Bridgeport.

Good Chance that 4 PAC 12 teams will end up hosting first and second round games.
I am honestly unsure any of the Pac12 teams get a two seed either. As you say they are going to beat up on each other and I'll be surprised if any are ranked in the top ten by the end of conference play. And teams are going to throw wobbles against teams like Washington State whose loss yesterday likely puts paid to them getting an NCAA bid. None of them have reached the level of play where they are great on the road, so teams will struggle against the weaker Pac12 teams when they play on the road. And none of them have impressive OOC wins.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I am honestly unsure any of the Pac12 teams get a two seed either. As you say they are going to beat up on each other and I'll be surprised if any are ranked in the top ten by the end of conference play. And teams are going to throw wobbles against teams like Washington State whose loss yesterday likely puts paid to them getting an NCAA bid. None of them have reached the level of play where they are great on the road, so teams will struggle against the weaker Pac12 teams when they play on the road. And none of them have impressive OOC wins.

Pretty much the same thing happened last year, but Oregon State still got a #2 seed. UCLA was the highest #3 seed, ASU was also a 3, and Stanford a 4.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom