UCF Postgame Thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

UCF Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I watched this one at 35,000 feet on a United flight from Newark to San Diego. I think the passengers around me were a little shocked that I said “oh, no!” or “oh, ” every minute or so.

I think the play of the game was when Paige refused to surrender the ball on a tie-up early in the first quarter. The refs had to step in and separate the players. According to the announcers, the ref then warned both benches that technicals would be called if that continued—and they started to call the game closer. That was a disadvantage for UCF, given their aggressive style of play.

Reaction Score
A few good points:

1. We won.

2. We're no longer in the AAC, so we don't need to play UCF 2-3x per year.

3. The team that knocked us out of the tourney last year went down in flames tonight.

I watched the ends of the Belmont game and Princeton game and then followed it up with our game. Man, I'm emotionally wasted.
Same here and then I made a big mistake and went to the BY!
Needless to say, it did not have a very calming effect!

Reaction Score
What a game, found a way to win. I was nervous waiting for the game to begin and the TN game dragging on did nothing to calm my nerves. I remember a Notre Dame team coming into Gampel and a UCONN squad with a young Stewie that failed to figure it out that day. The first Mabrey had a great game and Skylar was Skylar mugging like she always did. I remember Miss St. determined not to let us play that pretty ball as Vic called it. I remember the uncharacteristic missed layups from the very beginning of the game and when folks missed critical FT's down the stretch I had a feeling that I never had with that team. The difference last night is the team fought back and won in spite of the physicality, and Azzi and CW made their free throws. I will enjoy this ugly win as I head to work sleep deprived and all.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I hate games like this. Always hated playing UCF, always hated playing Rutgers (back in the day). They make playing "basketball" so difficult. Makes the game an ugly game.

They make it so irritating, I can't even enjoy the win. I went to bed in a pi$$ed off mood last night, even though we won. I hate that.

It's like if someone covers your favorite song and just butchers it. It's still your favorite song, but you get no enjoyment from listening to the cover. It just makes you mad they destroyed something you love.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Granted, and UCF has steadily built a stronger program. In the 2019-2020 season, UConn scored 55 & 66 points in their two matchups with UCF

This is true. It's also true those teams with the players you mentioned were much better offensively than recent UConn versions as well.

Reaction Score
More of UConn fouled out than UCF.
That last call they called on Williams should’ve been an offensive foul on their best big. Video evidence shows that she threw her leg out and knee to catch Williams Crossing behind her. That would’ve been her fifth foul and would not have been shooting foul shots

Reaction Score
Few more thoughts on the bigs...

1. Liv is Liv, she played excellent defense, but will never be a banger and does not put up many points in physical games
2. I thought AE brought great energy and in a extremely physical game and got called on about 3 ticky-tack fouls
3. Dorka brought great energy, but man, she needs to finish, and could have added 6-8 points which would have been huge

Reaction Score
Few more thoughts on the bigs...

1. Liv is Liv, she played excellent defense, but will never be a banger and does not put up many points in physical games
2. I thought AE brought great energy and in a extremely physical game and got called on about 3 ticky-tack fouls
3. Dorka brought great energy, but man, she needs to finish, and could have added 6-8 points which would have been huge
Dorka is usually better scoring around the basket. I think the speed of UCF and their triple team affected our players who appeared to be rushing their shots.

Reaction Score
I like everything about Dorka except her inability to use her left hand resulting in her never being able to score a layup from the left side. Hope she works hard on that in the off-season. Happy to not see UCF for a long while. They are a team that just tries to bludgeon you to death.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the UCF game:
  • WOW!!! I'm completely exhausted and I didn't play a minute.
  • I was really worried about UCF ahead of tonight's game. Unlike past UCF teams, this year’s version is longer, more athletic, and more experienced than any Black Knight team UConn ever faced back in the AAC days.
  • UConn clearly felt the pressure from the start of the game, getting sped up, turning the ball over, and missing an extraordinary number of layups.
  • This game was always going to be won on defense, and from the second quarter on UConn dug down deep and really stepped up their defensive effort, holding UCF to 47 points. The Huskies blocked 9 shots, forced numerous charging calls and turned the Black Knights over 20 times.
  • While UCF is a very good team, they still employ their infamous “HACK A HUSKY” defense. UConn benefitted to the tune of 8 more made FT’s.
  • Some really big shots in the 4th qtr from Azzi, Christyn & Paige helped the Huskies hold on to this one by their fingernails, with Christyn & Azzi icing it with 4 clutch FT's.
  • For those who keep track of these things, with the win tonight, UConn has qualified for the Sweet 16 for the 28th straight time….Ho hum…..;)
  • NOTE TO BONEYARD: I’ll be at the games in Bridgeport next weekend, so thanks in advance for someone else initiating the postgame thread. If UConn makes it to the FF, I’ll be back on the job in 2 weeks.
Good positive review of the game. We have forgotten what we didn't like about the AAC until last night. The last game I disliked as much as last night GC classic with Green Bay. As much as I hated the no flow of the game, I must commend the UCF players and coach. The name of the game is WIN not how you play. We are spoiled with great smooth flowing games. Congratulations, to AZZI, ONO, Edward, Dorka (they go beat up badly), CW for proving how good she can be, Paige for being Paige. AND A WIN.

Reaction Score
Not hidden

DATE 03/21/22T
ATTENDANCE 10167
SITE Harry A. Gampel Pavilion, Mansfield, CT
REFEREES Benny Luna, Katie Lukanich, Gina Cross
Nan, you are excellent in your research resources. This begs the question on foul shooting? Can players double clutch their shot to try to draw players into the lane before they release the ball???

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Dorka is usually better scoring around the basket. I think the speed of UCF and their triple team affected our players who appeared to be rushing their shots.
You didn't see the shots she was taking to her lower body under the boards. She'll have a great tourney.

Reaction Score
Nan, you are excellent in your research resources. This begs the question on foul shooting? Can players double clutch their shot to try to draw players into the lane before they release the ball???
They've been doing that since Naismith replaced the basket for a hoop. It is designed to do exactly what it did..

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not in the NBA:

1. The free throw shooter shall not purposely fake a free throw attempt.
    1. PENALTY: This is a violation by the shooter on all free throw attempts and a double violation should not be called if an opponent violates any free throw rules.
    2. If the free throw attempt is to remain in play, the opposing team shall inbound on either sideline at the free throw line extended.
    3. If the free throw attempt is not to remain in play, then play will continue from that point.
Technically, I’m at work right now so I dont’ have time to search the NCAA rules. Maybe an eagle-eyed retiree can look :)

Reaction Score
camis your point but if you mean Muhl, why? Pressure has never bothered her, who gets her TOs in the half court generally.
I would just say that it's obvious to me that Auriemma has decided that Bueckers, Fudd, and Williams are his best passers/ballhandlers against tough defense and that's who he trusts with the ball. He first made his statement about Muhl's value last season but in the only close game this season against physical, high level defense when he had all his guards available, he only used Muhl for 3 minutes. That was SC on Nov. 22. Fudd only played 10 minutes, probably because of her foot injury that sidelined her shortly after that tournament. No matter what he may say publicly, GA will never risk losing a game by playing someone he doesn't trust in a certain situation. I happen to agree with his assessment in this particular situation.

Reaction Score
They've been doing that since Naismith replaced the basket for a hoop. It is designed to do exactly what it did..
Then why did the refs wave off the foul shot and the made basket?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is true. It's also true those teams with the players you mentioned were much better offensively than recent UConn versions as well.
I’ll give you that. But this UConn team is much better defensively, even though Gabby & Kia were named NDPOY’s in their jr & snr seasons respectively.

Reaction Score
I’ll take an ugly win over a well-played loss any day.
Agreed. Everyone wants to see their team execute as perfectly as possible. The reality is the opponent sometimes dictates how a team can play. While not aesthetically pleasing, imagine the reaction of many posters if UConn lost. For comparison, SC looked abysmal offensively against Miami. Parity has arrived in the women’s game and the days of UConn marching through the tourney blowing teams out by 40+ are long gone.

On a separate note, it’s clear that Paige is far from 100%. Whether it’s mostly physical or mental, she’s hesitating at times. Most notably when she is forced to move laterally. Expectations are set at such a high level for her, it appears ever so slightly that she is reluctant to make a pass or take a shot at times, not wanting to make a mistake or miss a shot. She still looks like she can move forward easily and make her pull-up jumper at will. Yes, there are other options, but I’ll take her pull-up as option 1 any day.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would just say that it's obvious to me that Auriemma has decided that Bueckers, Fudd, and Williams are his best passers/ballhandlers against tough defense and that's who he trusts with the ball. He first made his statement about Muhl's value last season but in the only close game this season against physical, high level defense when he had all his guards available, he only used Muhl for 3 minutes. That was SC on Nov. 22. Fudd only played 10 minutes, probably because of her foot injury that sidelined her shortly after that tournament. No matter what he may say publicly, GA will never risk losing a game by playing someone he doesn't trust in a certain situation. I happen to agree with his assessment in this particular situation.
In Geno’s postgame presser he was asked about not playing Nika in the second half. He said it was nothing about Nika, but he felt he needed more offense on the court.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I hate games like this. Always hated playing UCF, always hated playing Rutgers (back in the day). They make playing "basketball" so difficult. Makes the game an ugly game.

They make it so irritating, I can't even enjoy the win. I went to bed in a pi$$ed off mood last night, even though we won. I hate that.

It's like if someone covers your favorite song and just butchers it. It's still your favorite song, but you get no enjoyment from listening to the cover. It just makes you mad they destroyed something you love.
I hope the Sun is shining this morning wherever you are. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01