UCF Postgame Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UCF Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Again, the announcers were dreadful. I had to rewind to find out that Liv and Aaliya had fouled out.
Pam Ward & Stephanie White are very knowledgeable announcers. But they insist on talking nonstop instead of focusing on the action, missing baskets & important plays. The game becomes a backdrop for their endless conversation.

Reaction Score
He was looking for offense, and did not think they would provide it. I think Nika was hoping, but Ducharme had a poor game
How did she have a poor game? She was 0-2 in a few mins. When she is in she makes things happen. Those are Geno's past words. She can rebound and play defense. Also seen her come up big and gets open. I actually think she could have been impactful if she played.

Reaction Score
I won't go as far as littlemin
And I didn't slep at a Holiday Inn Express last night
And I haven't won x amount of Championships

But I wasn't in love with the rotations
We all knew when Paige came back, someone would have to sit
Whatever....

Maybe Lttlemin's explanation is spot on.
Why did Bueckers have to start? The team was clicking, had great chemistry, and was getting off to tremendous starts. She was certainly and rightfully going to get her minutes but how could her starting add anything to the tremendous starts the team was already having? So Auriemma changed the lineup and they started rather sluggishly against Mercer but it didn’t show or matter. But tonight they were down 6 after one; so has changing the starting lineup been a positive? I say no, others may disagree, but I don’t see how. But not playing Muhl or Ducharme in the 2nd half at all is very surprising to me, especially in light of the way the team was playing.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I can be a nervous type of fan, but I must admit that I had a similar queasy-to-sick feeling in my stomach before this game as I did before the Arizona game.

Several of us who watched UCF in the AAC tournament agreed that, as one poster put it, "whichever high seed draws UCF as a 2nd round opponent is going to be on upset alert," as their experience and veteran toughness really showed. Then the brackets came out, and that opponent was UConn. Win or lose, it promised to be an ugly affair.

I have watched UCF play many times against other opponents, and while they're always tough and physical, everything is just so "extra" from them when they face UConn. I have never seen them play any other team in just the same way. It's really a bit bizarre.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I'm a huge fan of Geno, but didn't understand his lineup tonight. Paige no help in scoring, looked weak on passes and dribbling ...Muele came in and played great...never saw her again! Caroline? absent....Odd combinations. Refs were terrible both ways. All the stops in the game-commercial breaks were weird. I hope we don't see UCF again for a loooooong time! I also just texted someone at the game to see if they saw the coaches shake hands. UCF=no class! We had to look at their coach sooooo much on TV. ugh...

I to wonder what Geno was thinking. Seems he is reverting to a short bench of one or two players. Not good.

When he didn't sub the line change in the first quarter, I was surprised. I hope this is not a harbinger of what is to come.

Using Nika for only a few minutes in this type of game is a very questionable move/ decision.

Reaction Score
Good game very physical and tough but we win even with the refs' help of UCF.
Azzi is player of the game,

View attachment 74717
I thought the refs called a fairly even game though they did let them play and that probably benefitted UCF more. No, our wounds were self-inflicted: Dorka and Caroline missed 7 unmolested layups--uncontested layups, mind you--and clearly showed that they had the big game fuzzies. I can give some leniency to Caroline, being a freshman, but Dorka's play was just inexcusable. Liv and AE didn't show up and instead of our height being an advantage, I think we were outrebounded by UCF or it was pretty darn close.

I saw little or no leadership by anyone, and what the heck was going on with Paige? Did you see the breakaway she had and instead of passing the ball to a wide-open Azzi for a layup, she instead does this half-ass dipsy doodle flip shot. WOW.

Geez, the talent is definitely there, but this team has to get more Moxy--it's not at a championship level. The moment they feel pressure, most of them waffle....

Reaction Score
whatever that was that UCF played was not real basketball, easily the worst game I have had to watch.
Also in the future, if a certain user could stop wishing players injuries on the opposing team would be appreciated if you kept that to yourself.
I’m sorry and I don’t wish injury on any player on either team.
But when your opponent cheap shots your star, they gotta know that the there will be payment in kind. (There, I said it nicely),

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Did they ever explain what happened when Paige took a throat punch? No. When they got back from commercial, UCF was taking it out from under our basket. No one heard any whistles from the previous full court play.
Simple personal foul. I think ot was more on the shoulder than the throat.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sometimes you can tell a player isn't ready for a moment or game like tonight and that's probably what Geno saw with Ducharme. That's what I saw. Maybe she would have handled it better in the 2nd half but Geno apparently didn't think so.

As for Nika, the team needed offense not defense. He probably felt the other guards provided the best chance at some kind of offense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That male ref was clueless. He should not be allowed to ref another tournament game. On the CW foul he was about to signal "offensive" and then got confused. He took away a UCF free throw saying the shooter stepped over the line... she hesitated in her motion, but her feet never moved. There were many, many more examples. Embarrassing.
The refs are getting destroyed on Twitter by fans nationwide. Even fans without a rooting interest were critical of the officiating, especially the male official. LOL....of course, nobody knew his name because ESPN hides their identity.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with your point at all. However, anyone who has watched Auriemma coach for a long time should not have been surprised by who he was NOT going to trust with the ball against pressure defense in the 2nd half of a close game.
camis your point but if you mean Muhl, why? Pressure has never bothered her, who gets her TOs in the half court generally.

Reaction Score
How did she have a poor game? She was 0-2 in a few mins. When she is in she makes things happen. Those are Geno's past words. She can rebound and play defense. Also seen her come up big and gets open. I actually think she could have been impactful if she played.
I am just trying to think why a hall of fame coach made his decisions, but yeah, maybe he is an idiot. But, I will put my money on Geno over the BY.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The refs are getting destroyed on Twitter by fans nationwide. Even fans without a rooting interest were critical of the officiating, especially the male official. LOL....of course, nobody knew his name because ESPN hides their identity.
Not hidden

DATE 03/21/22T
ATTENDANCE 10167
SITE Harry A. Gampel Pavilion, Mansfield, CT
REFEREES Benny Luna, Katie Lukanich, Gina Cross

Reaction Score
There are times in life and games where nothing else matters but surviving.

Afterwards, you can quote Nietsche to yourself and claim you're better for it. But the main thing is: it's over and you're moving on.
I don’t think there are too many people in the Ukraine quoting Nietsche.:rolleyes:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sometimes you can tell a player isn't ready for a moment or game like tonight and that's probably what Geno saw with Ducharme. That's what I saw. Maybe she would have handled it better in the 2nd half but Geno apparently didn't think so.

As for Nika, the team needed offense not defense. He probably felt the other guards provided the best chance as some kind of offense.

Reaction Score
I think the UCF coach got burned that the refs were actually calling fouls. I think it’s a key to their strategy, but it backfired tonight.
Yeah, Coach Abe was praying for refs that would let the teams play a physical game. She had to be disappointed when these inept refs called everything in sight. But she has to admit the game was called tight for both teams!

Reaction Score
Uh.... they shook hands the previous game.
yea if you gonna say Ucf was a sore loser in this game so was Uconn vs Arz and you could see it in their face too, they didn't want to shake hands with Arz because they felt they were "above them" and losing to them was beneath them. Again I personally am tirede of the handshake discussion, we saw what happened in Michigan-Wisconsin men's game. If you don't want to do it that's fine, but just make it clear so we don't get any of this sore loser stuff.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
maybe someone can help me out here what kind of defense does Edwards plays she comes out to the top of the free throw line than comes off her person and goes under the basket leaving that person wide open and a passing lane to the basket ? Imo Nika should have played more our guards were getting tripled team and someone has to be open under the basket you would think I think she handles the press better ..Ugly ugly game glad we won .. but geez we missed probably 10 easy bunnies .. Team played hard just missed too many easy shots .. And Azzi love her shooting but geez some of her passes are head scratchers ..
It's called a hard hedge and it's a very common defense tactic.

Reaction Score
So you think CW shouldn’t get that time? When she clearly showed she deserved to be out there?
Correct. Less time. I like the rotation of 9, tweaked once the game starts based on play and circumstances. Of course, it’s up to Geno. I see the underclass men as better players myself, but senior leadership can’t be discounted…and it’s just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom