U17 - USA beats Hungary 91-63 in semifinals (merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

U17 - USA beats Hungary 91-63 in semifinals (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Two quick observations;
1) I only saw the second quarter, so missed Lou's barrage, but migawd, our kids just can't seem to find the basket at all.
2) If we get only one guard out of this group, and if that guard's name is Ionescu, I, for one, will not be disappointed. She has UConn written all over her.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Uh..they are up by only 7. Without Lou's 6 3s they would definitely be losing.:)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Think someone else might have scored on the possessions that Samuelson made her 3's. :)

Uh..they are up by only 7. Without Lou's 6 3s they would definitely be losing.:)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
First half thoughts...

Team USA has almost no one who can make a layup, and more than that, they are jacking up layups while being double teamed. Just poor shot selection from Team USA. But to be fair, Hungary is playing solid team defense.

Samuelson and Holmes hands down the best 2 players on the court. Anigwe keeps getting to the FT line, but like the rest of the post players, simply cannot finish a layup. Hungary is packing in the defense and playing swarming defense on KLS, so they are letting anyone else BUT KLS jack up 3 point shots, and the US isn't hitting at all.

I understand that Team USA doesn't get to spend much time playing together.

From a guard perspective, Durr looks the most composed on the court. Chou looks lost. Ionescu seems to be playing too fast and a little out of control (but you have to love her energy). I still love her game and effort. I keep using the analogy of Faris, but with way more offense, and that's still the case. Haven't seen enough of Wilson to make a judgement on her, and Ogunbowale continues to want to play 1 on 5.

Hungary is a really solid team. the US got the lead up to 13 and Hungary stormed back. If Team USA had more time to practice together, they'd probably try to start running some plays for Holmes or KLS.

side note - KLS got knocked to the floor trying to get an offensive rebound. Durr saw it and sprinted over (from the 3 point line) to help her up. Acts like a UCON player already!

Reaction Score
A few observations.
The USA was beaten downcourt on numerous occasions. No excuse for not hustling back.
KLS is a fantastic shooter. That said, her defense is almost non-existent. She was the last back on defense, got faked out and driven by repeatedly.
If Joyner Holmes is not on UConn's recruiting list, she should be, and immediately.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A few observations.
The USA was beaten downcourt on numerous occasions. No excuse for not hustling back.
KLS is a fantastic shooter. That said, her defense is almost non-existent. She was the last back on defense, got faked out driven by repeatedly.
If Joyner Holmes is not on UConn's recruiting list, she should be, and immediately.
Wow we must be watching 2 different games. KLS makes a good effort on defense and hers is no worse than anyone else on Team USA - she didn't do anything wrong on defense, or fail to do anything, that stood out to me. You make it sound like Hungary scored 30+ points because of KLS's poor defense. Her effort is just terrific IMHO. She lacks the speed of Boykin, Holmes, and several of the guards...

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Think someone else might have scored on the possessions that Samuelson made her 3's. :)

True, although the way we are rebounding we couldn't be sure. (Just couldn't resist a smart-ass comment. No offense.) Wish I had been able to see her threes, but was involved in signing up. I hope that we play better in the second half.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Ionescu resembles KF not only in her game, but in her "great stone face", which indicates to me a single-minded focus on the NEXT play, rather than frustration with the last.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Don't understand this Zone by Team USA. Its getting them into foul trouble as they don't know how to play it. Hungary getting to the line much to often.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Hungary got the game back to manageable distance, because TEAM USA put them on the FREE Throw Line.

USA needs to quit reaching and Fouling. Except for the last Foul Call on Samuelson where I thought the Hungary player went over her back, they are fouling.

First half thoughts...

Team USA has almost no one who can make a layup, and more than that, they are jacking up layups while being double teamed. Just poor shot selection from Team USA. But to be fair, Hungary is playing solid team defense.

Samuelson and Holmes hands down the best 2 players on the court. Anigwe keeps getting to the FT line, but like the rest of the post players, simply cannot finish a layup. Hungary is packing in the defense and playing swarming defense on KLS, so they are letting anyone else BUT KLS jack up 3 point shots, and the US isn't hitting at all.

I understand that Team USA doesn't get to spend much time playing together.

From a guard perspective, Durr looks the most composed on the court. Chou looks lost. Ionescu seems to be playing too fast and a little out of control (but you have to love her energy). I still love her game and effort. I keep using the analogy of Faris, but with way more offense, and that's still the case. Haven't seen enough of Wilson to make a judgement on her, and Ogunbowale continues to want to play 1 on 5.

Hungary is a really solid team. the US got the lead up to 13 and Hungary stormed back. If Team USA had more time to practice together, they'd probably try to start running some plays for Holmes or KLS.

side note - KLS got knocked to the floor trying to get an offensive rebound. Durr saw it and sprinted over (from the 3 point line) to help her up. Acts like a UCON player already!

Reaction Score
Wow we must be watching 2 different games. KLS makes a good effort on defense and hers is no worse than anyone else on Team USA - she didn't do anything wrong on defense, or fail to do anything, that stood out to me. You make it sound like Hungary scored 30+ points because of KLS's poor defense. Her effort is just terrific IMHO. She lacks the speed of Boykin, Holmes, and several of the guards...
I focused on watching KLS in the first half. If you have the time, watch it again later and let me know what you think.
I could be wrong. Just how i saw it.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Missed Layups have been an Epidemic in this tournament by all teams with possible exception of Spain.

Reaction Score
I focused on watching KLS in the first half. If you have the time, watch it again later and let me know what you think.
I could be wrong. Just how i saw it.
I agree she hasn't played well on defense at all but I think a lot of that has to do with being played a little out of position.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Good Last half of 3rd Quarter for Team USA Extend lead to 69-51. Outscored Hungary 23-12 in 3rd quarter.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
KLS got beat a few times on defense but I thought part of that is that she looked tired late in the 1st half. She's played almost all of the game. She's still a terror in the press.

Hungary really deserves credit. They play very hard and are a great passing team.

Tremendous impact 3rd quarter for Boykin.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
KLS got beat a few times on defense but I thought part of that is that she looked tired late in the 1st half. She's played almost all of the game. She's still a terror in the press.

Hungary really deserves credit. They play very hard and are a great passing team.

Tremendous impact 3rd quarter for Boykin.
That's one of the things I was referring to on her defense. She spent a lot of time at the top of the press with Durr, or Ogunbowale, and moved her feet really well.

And I agree - tremendous Q3 for Boykin. Great to see her not only getting steals, playing great defense, but getting O boards and making layups. Love seeing KLS play the 1. She is just tremendous. And a terrific quarter for Durr as well. She has a great sense of where to be on the court - really nice anticipation.

I like Anigwe's game too - like most of the post players, had trouble with the layups, but is a ferocious rebounder, and has a lot of potential. Holmes was largely absent in Q3, but after her phenomenal first half, it's not surprising...!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Durr only averages about 1.5 assists a game in HS but she's an excellent passer.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Yep, I've been impressed with Anigwe all week.

And I know she's missing jumpers but I still love Lauren Cox's ability. Someone needs to get her to focus on 8 feet and in where she's really good. Her activity can't be measured though. She gets extra possessions even without grabbing rebounds.

Ionescu can impact the game without ever scoring, a perfect compliment player to go along with all the scorers UConn should have.

Chou, Wilson, and Mulkey are easily the rawest players on the team.

Reaction Score
Determined not to be just another team crushed by the USA, Hungary played a very physical game through three quarters that held the US inside-scoring in check. Team USA maintained a great deal of its poise, but was limited to a blowout win against Hungary. This qualifies the game as something of a nail-biter by USA standards.

Katie Lou Samuelson hit six three-pointers to lead the USA scoring with 25.
Kristine Anigwe got a double-double with 14 points and 14 rebounds.
Asia Durr had 17 points.

Box Score

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members