U of L Adds 2016 Verbal - Maybe? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

U of L Adds 2016 Verbal - Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would think a recruit would be encouraged by the presence a very good big ahead of her. And twin towers are cool. Having said that I would be very pleased but surprised if Cox were to choose the Huskies.
Idk. Posters on this board praised L.Cox vision and passes during her summer play as well as being physical. Turner is an athletic forward and (from what I heard/seen on this forum) Butler is more of a rebounding/defensive minded center. I think Lauren abilities would flourish more with Turner alongside but time shall tell

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Louisville may be done with its class but not because of a lack of trying. Louisville is still involved with Natalie Chou, Lauren Cox, Jensen Caretti and Jasmine Walker. I may be missing some. We'll see in a few years if Walz succeeds at putting together a team or merely collecting players.

Reaction Score
Louisville may be done with its class but not because of a lack of trying. Louisville is still involved with Natalie Chou, Lauren Cox, Jensen Caretti and Jasmine Walker. I may be missing some. We'll see in a few years if Walz succeeds at putting together a team or merely collecting players.
I wasn't saying they weren't still recruiting any 2016s, just that I doubt they land any more. Demling has said that Walz and an assistant are in Texas today meeting with both Cox and Ciera Johnson and their families. He also indicates that Chou is off their board. I don't know if they're still pursuing Caretti, but I can't see her picking them with all the guards/wings they have lined up.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
I wasn't saying they weren't still recruiting any 2016s, just that I doubt they land any more. Demling has said that Walz and an assistant are in Texas today meeting with both Cox and Ciera Johnson and their families. He also indicates that Chou is off their board. I don't know if they're still pursuing Caretti, but I can't see her picking them with all the guards/wings they have lined up.

Definitely pursuing Caretti.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I am not really sure what Walz is doing. He has 1 junior (Walton), 3 sophomores, 6 freshmen, and 4 2016's. If he gets another 2016 (either Cox or Johnson), he will have only one scholarship to award to 2017's, unless the program suffers attrition. His recruiting seems very unbalanced. Those 3 sophomores (class of 2014) started off as 5, with one of them suffering injury and thus shifted to the freshman class (Brackemyre) and another leaving the program after the 2014-15 season (Ariana Freeman).

His 3 juniors (class of 2013) are all gone, as the lone junior (Courtnee Walton) is actually a redshirt junior, so she was from the senior class (2012). The only other member of the senior class with Courtnee was Megan Dienes, who transferred to Colorado. The 3-member class of 2013 all left the program. Emmonnie Henderson decided to give up basketball to pursue track at Louisville. Star Breedlove transferred to Troy. Janelle Cannon, who transferred in from JUCO, also transferred from Louisville. It's an odd pattern.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
His 3 juniors (class of 2013) are all gone, as the lone junior (Courtnee Walton) is actually a redshirt junior, so she was from the senior class (2012). The only other member of the senior class with Courtnee was Megan Dienes, who transferred to Colorado. The 3-member class of 2013 all left the program. Emmonnie Henderson decided to give up basketball to pursue track at Louisville. Star Breedlove transferred to Troy. Janelle Cannon, who transferred in from JUCO, also transferred from Louisville. It's an odd pattern.

Did Henderson give up basketball for good ? Or is their a chance she returns for the 2016-17 season... after the Olympics

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Did Henderson give up basketball for good ? Or is their a chance she returns for the 2016-17 season... after the Olympics
She said she plans to come back the following year, but if so, then Jeff has zero scholarships to give out for the class of 2017 unless someone leaves the program.

Also, I wrote that Megan Deines transferred to Colorado when she actually transferred to Kansas St. It was Ariana Freeman who transferred to Colorado.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She said she plans to come back the following year, but if so, then Jeff has zero scholarships to give out for the class of 2017 unless someone leaves the program.
This year (2015-2016) they have 10 players on the books. Next year (2016-2017), with Henderson coming back, they will have 15 players on the books. Walton would be the only senior (assuming Henderson would be a r/s Jr), so they would have 1 scholarship to give to the 2017 recruiting class.

I'm sure something will change in the next couple of years though.

As of right now, it doesn't look like they have any more scholarships to give for the 2016 class. ???? Unless they know Henderson won't be back. ???

Reaction Score
Cox decision (as it does for all top recruits) come down to desire for an NC. At UCONN its a given, anyplace else it is at best a hope.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Cox decision (as it does for all top recruits) come down to desire for an NC. At UCONN its a given, anyplace else it is at best a hope.

No it doesn't. Elizabeth Williams wanted to be a Doctor, and she chose Duke for the education. Duke hasn't sniffed a NC since 2006. EDD chose being close to home, and she's done quite well. Every player would like to win a NC, but it's not always the deciding factor.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This year (2015-2016) they have 10 players on the books. Next year (2016-2017), with Henderson coming back, they will have 15 players on the books. Walton would be the only senior (assuming Henderson would be a r/s Jr), so they would have 1 scholarship to give to the 2017 recruiting class.

I'm sure something will change in the next couple of years though.

As of right now, it doesn't look like they have any more scholarships to give for the 2016 class. ???? Unless they know Henderson won't be back. ???
Unless... Louisville offers Cox a Volleyball scholarship.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno sould put you on retainer for recruiting purpose with this slogan: "Come to UCONN where a Championship is a given."
What are you going to say when asked about Charde Huston?
Enjoy the ride, Championships are not a given. These girls work darn hard to earn them.

Reaction Score
No it doesn't. Elizabeth Williams wanted to be a Doctor, and she chose Duke for the education. Duke hasn't sniffed a NC since 2006. EDD chose being close to home, and she's done quite well. Every player would like to win a NC, but it's not always the deciding factor.
That is the point. IF they have a burning desire for an NC. IF that is an important enough deciding factor. You are right in that winning an NC was not as big a factor for the players you mention. Everyone has different priorities. If winning the NC is important enough then UCONN is far and away the logical choice.

Reaction Score
Had ND won the National Championship or beaten UConn in December last year, no doubt Cox would have ND as her overwhelming favorite. UConn winning changed all that. Could be any of the five now.
But nd didn't, so if she choses nd then getting an NC is only a dream not based in reality.

Reaction Score
Geno sould put you on retainer for recruiting purpose with this slogan: "Come to UCONN where a Championship is a given."
What are you going to say when asked about Charde Huston?
Enjoy the ride, Championships are not a given. These girls work darn hard to earn them.
Of course they earn them through hard work and dedication in a system that is the best to achieve that desired goal. OK, not a given, but about as close as there is. Still anywhere else is just a chance. Charde represents maybe the one or two 4 year player classes that did not win an NC.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Of course they earn them through hard work and dedication in a system that is the best to achieve that desired goal. OK, not a given, but about as close as there is. Still anywhere else is just a chance. Charde represents maybe the one or two 4 year player classes that did not win an NC.
It seems we now have much more room for agreement: Nothing is a given, everywhere is just a chance, UCONN's chances are better that everyone else's-for now.

Reaction Score
Louisville has 10 on the team, with no seniors- although Walton is a red-shirt junior. They have 4 verbals and Henderson is a question mark, maybe Walton too. plus attrition is inevitable. Walz will find scholarships if he needs them.

Reaction Score
How many more can they take???

WBB: @wcgbMedia reports that Jaelyn Brown has a final 4 of Cal, Louisville, South Carolina, UCLA; espnW #19 in 2016
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/183767/jaelyn-brown
Hey, that looks familiar. Always love it when people copy my tweets and strip my name out.

Anyway, there's conflicting info on whether Louisville is still recruiting Brown. One of their beat writers reported that her official visit was canceled after the 2 commits yesterday and she's off their recruiting board. He claims they're now going after only Cox, Johnson, and Caretti—and that only one more player would be added to the recruiting class.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
They might as well put Cox off their list because she isn't going there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom