Tyler Summit hired as HS ass’t coach to his wife | The Boneyard

Tyler Summit hired as HS ass’t coach to his wife

Reaction Score

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Yeah ok, that's bad, but if you read the Deadspin comments, what's insane is that he is the non-spousal benefits recipient for Pat's pension, which means he gets a lifetime annual income of close to $200k for doing nothing.

Here are the details:

“Summitt seems most comfortable presently with managing his mother’s estate. The work augments his MBA studies and addresses his desire to be “a good steward” of his inheritance.

Summitt was designated to be a non-spouse beneficiary of his mother’s state pension. When Pat Summitt retired, she opted to collect a monthly benefit of $14,460 or $173,520 annually in 2012. That benefit, with an annual cost-of-living adjustment, will be collected by her son for the rest of his life.”

Pat Summitt could have opted instead to collect $21,141 per month, or $253,632 annually, without choosing a beneficiary, and the payments would have ended upon her death."

That is insane. Insane. No wonder our state and local governments are headed to fiscal ruin. No wonder UT can't afford to go after Jeff Walz.

SMH.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
He was married when that situation happened. I don’t understand how a high school would allow this
I should have said, I didn't realize he had remarried.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Yeah ok, that's bad, but if you read the Deadspin comments, what's insane is that he is the non-spousal benefits recipient for Pat's pension, which means he gets a lifetime annual income of close to $200k for doing nothing.

Here are the details:

“Summitt seems most comfortable presently with managing his mother’s estate. The work augments his MBA studies and addresses his desire to be “a good steward” of his inheritance.

Summitt was designated to be a non-spouse beneficiary of his mother’s state pension. When Pat Summitt retired, she opted to collect a monthly benefit of $14,460 or $173,520 annually in 2012. That benefit, with an annual cost-of-living adjustment, will be collected by her son for the rest of his life.”

Pat Summitt could have opted instead to collect $21,141 per month, or $253,632 annually, without choosing a beneficiary, and the payments would have ended upon her death."

That is insane. Insane. No wonder our state and local governments are headed to fiscal ruin. No wonder UT can't afford to go after Jeff Walz.

SMH.
I asked about this in a special thread not long after this was reported in 2016, and my question elicited some very informative replies:
OT: Tyler Summitt will continue to collect Pat's pension ... until he dies

Reaction Score
I posted this at VolNation and was subsequently blasted but...

What Tyler did was wrong and everyone knows it. He was fired, lost his marriage and damaged his reputation. That being said, I'm not sure what else people expect. I wouldn't hire him to coach a team again so soon.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
I suppose the rationale that allowed him to be hired was that he would have the full-time adult supervision of his wife acting as a protective firewall against improper behavior. Without that, he may not have a coaching career.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'm very surprised a HS allowed him to be hired. He made a huge mistake, but he was 23. Louisiana Tech made a huge mistake hiring someone so young to be their head coach. He now has a chance to redeem himself, over time. He certainly doesn't have any financial worries. In addition to the pension, I'm sure Pat left him a sizable inheritance.

Reaction Score
Like most people who post on these boards, I’ve never met Tyler Summitt and have no idea what kind of character he has. If what was reported in the press was correct, what he did was pretty bad. I just don’t think it was as shocking as it was made out to be. He grew up with a larger than life mother. I think traditional gender roles exist and are ‘enforced’ more in the south and I’m guessing he would have felt doubly under the microscope. if I’ve got the dates right, he got married at 23, six months or so after his mother went public wth her diagnosis. I can’t imagine the pressure of a new marriage, a new job and his mother’s illness. Under those circumstances, it’s pretty easy to see how he screwed it up. I’m not saying it’s acceptable, just understandable.

Reaction Score
Like most people who post on these boards, I’ve never met Tyler Summitt and have no idea what kind of character he has. If what was reported in the press was correct, what he did was pretty bad. I just don’t think it was as shocking as it was made out to be. He grew up with a larger than life mother. I think traditional gender roles exist and are ‘enforced’ more in the south and I’m guessing he would have felt doubly under the microscope. if I’ve got the dates right, he got married at 23, six months or so after his mother went public with her diagnosis. I can’t imagine the pressure of a new marriage, a new job and his mother’s illness. Under those circumstances, it’s pretty easy to see how he screwed it up. I’m not saying it’s acceptable, just understandable.
While agreeing with you in principle, I do not in specifics. Each of has different crosses to bear in life and while we might justifiably judge an action, we should refrain from judging the individual. I myself can think of multiple scenarios with respect to Tyler's motivations. Emotional relationships are always tricky. It is difficult for outsiders to gage those dynamics. People can totally lose their sense of reason under certain circumstances. The heart wants what the heart wants. Of course, we should always be accountable for how ethically we handle our commitments. Still, in the end, I don't feel that the reasons you gave were justifiable causes, but rather just triggers for issues or personality traits that already existed.

New Marriages and new jobs are things that people deal with all the time. Still, most functional people do not usually see them as hurdles rather opportunities. In Tyler's case, he screwed up both opportunities via a single action. As to his mother's illness, he is not a child and loss of parents is all part of life. While I can also understand ( via multiple scenario's ), and will not judge him, I'll reserve my sympathies for less entitled people facing much more critical problems. I suppose most people have no clue as to the problems some people face every day.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While agreeing with you in principle, I do not in specifics. Each of has different crosses to bear in life and while we might justifiably judge an action, we should refrain from judging the individual. I myself can think of multiple scenarios with respect to Tyler's motivations. Emotional relationships are always tricky. It is difficult for outsiders to gage those dynamics. People can totally lose their sense of reason under certain circumstances. The heart wants what the heart wants. Of course, we should always be accountable for how ethically we handle our commitments. Still, in the end, I don't feel that the reasons you gave were justifiable causes, but rather just triggers for issues or personality traits that already existed.

New Marriages and new jobs are things that people deal with all the time. Still, most functional people do not usually see them as hurdles rather opportunities. In Tyler's case, he screwed up both opportunities via a single action. As to his mother's illness, he is not a child and loss of parents is all part of life. While I can also understand ( via multiple scenario's ), and will not judge him, I'll reserve my sympathies for less entitled people facing much more critical problems. I suppose most people have no clue as to the problems some people face every day.
I hear you. I wasn’t so much trying to justify it as wondering aloud if he deserved a little more compassion than what he gets. A lot of people were hurt and that can’t be easily forgotten.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom