Tyler Polley vs. Vance Jackson | The Boneyard

Tyler Polley vs. Vance Jackson

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Tyler Polley is obviously going to need to step up and fill a void left by Vance Jackson on the wing.

What are folk's thoughts on how their skill sets compare? Polley seems much longer and more athletic, while also having a nice looking shot. I think he might surprise some people. That said, I think we should be in the market for another wing to fill one of the 3 remaining scholarships.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Vance Jackson is so yesterday, he played a few good games during the worst UConn season of the modern era. He and his father think he was being misused, I wish them well

Replacing Vance Jackson is going to be rather easy

Reaction Score
Tyler Polley is obviously going to need to step up and fill a void left by Vance Jackson on the wing.

What are folk's thoughts on how their skill sets compare? Polley seems much longer and more athletic, while also having a nice looking shot. I think he might surprise some people. That said, I think we should be in the market for another wing to fill one of the 3 remaining scholarships.
I don't think we have a clue because per Vance Sr, Vance's skill set was not properly utilized here. Once he starts throwing up triple/doubles all over the place in two years we'll have a better understanding of what we lost.

Reaction Score
Vance Jackson is so yesterday, he played a few good games during the worst UConn season of the modern era. He and his father think he was being misused, I wish them well

Replacing Vance Jackson is going to be rather easy
Feelings on Vance have really swung wildly over the last couple of weeks here. This sentiment is just untrue. Vance, while limited athletically, showed ast the year progressed that he was a threat from the outside and was skilled enough to create his own shot. His defense was likely never going to be all that but assuming his offensive game continued to improve at the same rate next year, replacing that will definitely hurt. Polley likely has the higher upside but Vance was a polished player.

pj

Reaction Score
Feelings on Vance have really swung wildly over the last couple of weeks here. This sentiment is just untrue. Vance, while limited athletically, showed ast the year progressed that he was a threat from the outside and was skilled enough to create his own shot. His defense was likely never going to be all that but assuming his offensive game continued to improve at the same rate next year, replacing that will definitely hurt. Polley likely has the higher upside but Vance was a polished player.

A polished player who didn't want to subordinate his game to the needs of the team or to play a supporting role to superior players.

Reaction Score
A polished player who didn't want to subordinate his game to the needs of the team or to play a supporting role to superior players.
Well... certainly his dad didn't want that, though Vance seemed to have no problem with that when he was on the court this year. Not claiming that his attitude (or dad's) will be missed, but production-wise, yeah, it's a hit and it's just objectively false to claim otherwise.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Setting aside Jackson Sr.'s puzzlingly unrealistic assessment of his son's current skills, he did show a fairly good stroke from outside although at times inexplicably hesitant to pull the trigger, had emerging driving skills, and made some good decisions finding the open man after penetrating. He also made telegraphed lazy passes and really got very little lift out of his legs, getting blocked on drives frequently.

From what I've seen so far I suspect Polley can give us those things fairly early on - the outside shooting and driving ability - and has a lot more lift and quickness in his legs. If he can avoid the lazy passes and play better man D I like the trade.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Setting aside Jackson Sr.'s puzzlingly unrealistic assessment of his son's current skills, he did show a fairly good stroke from outside although at times inexplicably hesitant to pull the trigger, had emerging driving skills, and made some good decisions finding the open man after penetrating. He also made telegraphed lazy passes and really got very little lift out of his legs, getting blocked on drives frequently.

From what I've seen so far I suspect Polley can give us those things fairly early on - the outside shooting and driving ability - and has a lot more lift and quickness in his legs. If he can avoid the lazy passes and play better man D I like the trade.
And if he can't deliver those expectations you've set him up to be massacred by the Boneyard fanatics.:cool:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I would rather have Vance than Polley just because he spreads the floor so well.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Polley turned into a dependable 4 year player. Is Denham Brown or Rudy Johnson too high of a performance benchmark?

Reaction Score
I think Vance would've blown up next year... Got the game experience and developed more toughness as the season went on... Wish he could've stayed...

Reaction Score
He was the worst defensive player I can recall at UConn.

He didn't average 4 RPG on a terrible team
in a terrible conference, that is hugely overrated with him.

I was very happy with how Vance played and progressed. His defensive footwork wasn't the best but he rebounded and pushed the ball. Had a nice inside and outside game

Reaction Score

This is a laughable take. First of all, Enoch was on the same team. Plus VJ was a freshman forced into heavy minutes.

While it wasn't anything amazing, he had the 3rd best DR% (of non-injured guys) on the team, about where it should be. He didn't rebound offensively, but he was often spreading the offense on the perimeter, so wasn't expected to.

Reaction Score
Spreading what? The team was terrible, especially offensively.

He's an incredibly overrated player if you read this board alone. He is the the easiest piece to replace.

This is a laughable take. First of all, Enoch was on the same team. Plus VJ was a freshman forced into heavy minutes.

While it wasn't anything amazing, he had the 3rd best DR% (of non-injured guys) on the team, about where it should be. He didn't rebound offensively, but he was often spreading the offense on the perimeter, so wasn't expected to.

Reaction Score

I know you're just a lowly troll but he wasn't even close to the worst defensive player on last year's team...

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

Spreading what? The team was terrible, especially offensively.

He's an incredibly overrated player if you read this board alone. He is the the easiest piece to replace.
The truth lies somewhere in between, I would imagine. Good contributor as a freshman playing unexpected minutes, but with flaws in his game and abilities. That's not a knock on him, it's true of almost every freshman player. I'll take Polley and Larrier, Diarra and Durham (and hopefully 1 more) and look forward.

pj

Reaction Score
He was going to be the 5th or 6th best player on next year's team. He had to learn how to play a complementary role. KO spelled out whatever it was he had to do, and he and his Dad didn't like it. They think there is some other program that will let him play like he's the best player on the team. Undoubtedly there is, at a lower level of basketball. Let him search for it and find his level. Maybe he'll find the humility he needs to develop as a player. As for UConn, well, I agree with Doctor Hoop, Tyler Polley looks like a more than adequate replacement for Vance. We'll be OK.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom