2024 Recruiting: - Tyler Betsey down to 7 schools | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Tyler Betsey down to 7 schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’d be very very surprised if he went to Cincinnati, but a relationship between a recruit and a coach can be an important factor. Gavin Griffiths’ commitment to Rutgers reportedly had a lot to do with Pikiell being there. Pikiell knows Griffith’s dad from when they were schoolboys. Those kind of factors can occasionally move the needle.
What is Betsey’s relationship to the Cincy staff?

Reaction Score
Griffiths has to have regrets after seeing what Hurley did with Hawkins, with the results culminating in a natty and lottery pick

Reaction Score
Griffiths has to have regrets after seeing what Hurley did with Hawkins, with the results culminating in a natty and lottery pick
From what I’ve heard, the personal relationship Pikiell has had with his dad was important. There’s a lot of trust there and it was a huge factor. I’ve also heard that there was thinking that UConn’s style of play (prior to last year, when the commitment was made) being more defensive oriented, plodding, lower scoring ugly games, etc was also a factor. That prior to last year the UConn offense might have not been viewed as a good showcase for wing players and shooters for the NBA. I think that Hurley really didn’t have the right players to fit what he wanted to do until last year. If the decision were being made now I don’t know if the style of play and NBA offense would or wouldn’t be enough to overcome the Pikiell factor. But clearly that line of thinking for 2024 recruits and beyond is no longer in regards to the offense and getting players NBA ready.

Reaction Score
From what I’ve heard, the personal relationship Pikiell has had with his dad was important. There’s a lot of trust there and it was a huge factor. I’ve also heard that there was thinking that UConn’s style of play (prior to last year, when the commitment was made) being more defensive oriented, plodding, lower scoring ugly games, etc was also a factor. That prior to last year the UConn offense might have not been viewed as a good showcase for wing players and shooters for the NBA. I think that Hurley really didn’t have the right players to fit what he wanted to do until last year. If the decision were being made now I don’t know if the style of play and NBA offense would or wouldn’t be enough to overcome the Pikiell factor. But clearly that line of thinking for 2024 recruits and beyond is no longer in regards to the offense and getting players NBA ready.
That doesn't make any sense, nobody plays slower and uglier than Rutgers.

Reaction Score
I’d be very very surprised if he went to Cincinnati, but a relationship between a recruit and a coach can be an important factor. Gavin Griffiths’ commitment to Rutgers reportedly had a lot to do with Pikiell being there. Pikiell knows Griffith’s dad from when they were schoolboys. Those kind of factors can occasionally move the needle.
Wait until he plays a full season under that offensive genius Steve Pikiell. Anyone want to guess the over/under for points per game for Rutgers this year. Maybe 62?

Reaction Score
The UConn mood was pretty gloomy last Summer after the NMSU upset and when neither Cole nor Martin returned for their fifth year. Almost nobody thought we were a top 25 team entering 2022-23 other than Borges and you could even say Hurley was on a warming seat.

In retrospect, the injuries to Bouknight and Hawkins really hurt our ability to keep up with hot-shooting teams in previous years. Not enough shooters with deep range on those teams in general. In 2023, we were able to match the Iona and St. Mary's first half barrage of 3s, and then were able to steamroll them in the second half. I have high hopes for next season and think our ceiling may actually be higher than last.

Reaction Score
Gavin has a very legit chance of being an NBA player and not just a guy who gets a cup of coffee in the league. I really hope the Rutgers staff develops him properly.
Agreed. His game translates very well.

Reaction Score
The UConn mood was pretty gloomy last Summer after the NMSU upset and when neither Cole nor Martin returned for their fifth year. Almost nobody thought we were a top 25 team entering 2022-23 other than Borges and you could even say Hurley was on a warming seat.

In retrospect, the injuries to Bouknight and Hawkins really hurt our ability to keep up with hot-shooting teams in previous years. Not enough shooters with deep range on those teams in general. In 2023, we were able to match the Iona and St. Mary's first half barrage of 3s, and then were able to steamroll them in the second half. I have high hopes for next season and think our ceiling may actually be higher than last.
Higher ceiling than National Champs winning every tourney game by double digits??? Exactly what is that??

Reaction Score

The ceiling going in is higher. Because it's about 7'3".

Reaction Score
Also relationships seems to be why Kansas St is in the mix for Ngongba, Corey Floyd's dad re the Providence recruiting juggernaut, etc. The Gavin Griffiths choice has scarred me. Saw he was 5-10 from 3 in his first game in Portugal.
Everything worked out. I wouldn’t have traded GG for Joey C and #5

Reaction Score
Strong is a relative term. The strongest shih tzu is no match for the weakest great dane.
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight — it’s the size of the fight in the dog. (I don’t think that has any relevance at all to the discussion, but since this is a recruiting thread I figure I’m free to say whatever I want regardless of relevance.)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight — it’s the size of the fight in the dog. (I don’t think that has any relevance at all to the discussion, but since this is a recruiting thread I figure I’m free to say whatever I want regardless of relevance.)
I know you aren't a trial attorney but I would love to hear you include that in a closing argument.

Reaction Score

I have a wonderful anecdote I would tell folks I coached in fighting when they inevitably said something along these lines. If we're going off topic, I might as well run with it.

I trained and competed in boxing for 6 years, grappling for a few and off and on since, and Muay Thai for something like 13 years now. My brother is 75lbs heavier than me, athletic, and probably has trained martial arts for 6 hours total since we took karate when we were 9.

He has beat my ass every time we fougbt in my life. Only time I ever broke my nose was because of that moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom