Ty-Meer Brown to play at BC | The Boneyard

Ty-Meer Brown to play at BC

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
It is up to him, but this is nothing to play with. I hope he is okay, but I am curious what is happening behind the scenes

Reaction Score
The Dazzler hard at work with smoke and mirrors filling his roster. If our medical staff wouldn't clear Ty-Meer to play due to a medical condition so be it. If he was cleared by BC's staff and he gets hurt...that's on them. I wish him a lot of luck...most important thing is he graduated from UCONN with his degree.

Reaction Score
Location of the stenosis on the spine matters, but typically spinal stenosis is not something to screw around with in any way, shape, or form. Ty-Meer Brown and his family may have pursued and obtained additional medical checks providing some assurance the initial reasonable diagnosis was appropriately cautious, and they still chose to take chances others might avoid. Alternatively, later checks might not have viewed the issue quite as seriously. Or perhaps, BCU's just willing to take more chances with a kid's future health and well being than UCONN.

Quoting Brown from the Courant article:

" 'They (UCONN) just didn’t want to let me go any further with the condition I have,' Brown said. 'It was tough but things happen, situations occur, you’ve just got to move forward from it but I didn’t want to believe it obviously because I had been so close to my dream and for them to tell me I can’t play anymore it was just devastating. I don’t really feel anything. It’s a condition I was born with and they just figured it out after all of these years of me playing football.' "​

Other comments were similarly interesting:

Desumond Conner: "I had been hearing Brown was having a really tough time accepting it all and that hasn’t changed. It’s understandable for a competitor like Brown.

His father, Tim, a former middle linebacker and captain on West Virginia’s 11-0 1993 team, had an injury that would sideline him and UConn athletic director Warde Manuel, a standout defensive end at Michigan, who sustained a career-ending injury in college, have talked to Ty-Meer quite a bit to help him cope.
"

Brown: “[Manuel] kept encouraging me, just making sure I keep my head up and things like that because he didn’t want to see me go in the tank, He said I’m a good person on and off the field. He wanted to make sure I was maintaining the right mindset to move on. My dad went through it, too, yeah. He was sidelined. He’s just been really supportive and that’s all I can really ask for.”​

None of us know all of the facts or are likely to learn enough of them to truly judge the decision. However, you like to think Brown's health is OK short term and have to hope it's reasonable playing more football won't expose him to very serious long term issues of an avoidable nature.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I said when BC hired Daz that it was, in part (not entirely, granted), a hire to help recruit against UCONN. They have a window here with a clear upper hand in CR. I just didn't realize they would be recruiting players off of our roster.

Oh well. Best of luck to Brown. I hope he is able to stay healthy and has success on the field.

Reaction Score
They took a player that UConn wouldn't let play out of health concerns. Why is this an issue?
it's only an issue for BC if you ask me this young men's health is going to be in their hands so they better be sure he's OK to play I think diaco was on the right track with making him an associate coach. You don't have to be in health care to realize that living the rest of your life with serious spinal injuries is way more devastating than missing a season

Reaction Score
First and foremost, let's wish this young man well. I sincerely hope he is making a decision that is in his long-term best interest.

Addazio has had some very good success bringing in fifth year senior transfers and filling in glaring needs. GDF and Spaz left that program in shambles. Their receivers and secondary in particular are terrible. If healthy, players like Brown and Phillips step right into starting roles - there is no doubt.

Personally, I don't thing relying heavily on transfers is a good way to rebuild a program. You lose continuity and young players lose the opportunity for valuable experience. It suggests to me that the program was absolutely desperate to regain some semblance of respectability and/or Addazio wants to quickly set the stage for his next step.

As a side note, Brown is a terrific player, but we are well set at safety with some younger guys.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
it's only an issue for BC if you ask me this young men's health is going to be in their hands so they better be sure he's OK to play I think diaco was on the right track with making him an associate coach. You don't have to be in health care to realize that living the rest of your life with serious spinal injuries is way more devastating than missing a season

Well no one is forcing the kid to play. I wouldn't let him if he was my kid, but his father clearly has background on the situation and they are deciding to play.

Reaction Score
Addazio has had some very good success bringing in fifth year senior transfers and filling in glaring needs. GDF and Spaz left that program in shambles. Their receivers and secondary in particular are terrible. .
Agreed. Addazio has hit the ground running, and its amazing he was able to get the BC team to a bowl game last season.( mostly by just handing the ball to Andre Williams, as he pretty much carried last season's team ). Spaziani was every bit the bad hire for BC as Pasqualoni was for Uconn, and now both programs are trying to jump start their football programs after both AD hires at Uconn and BC prior to Diaco and Addazio were for the birds.

Reaction Score
I'm confused. UConn medical staff determines Brown can't play football anymore due to a medical condition that could result in a serious injury. Yet, BC says it's OK to play for them. I just hope for the kid's sake that he is getting the best medical advice as his long term health is more important than an extra year of college football. I also can't believe that BC would take the risk of allowing him to play.

Reaction Score
I'm confused. UConn medical staff determines Brown can't play football anymore due to a medical condition that could result in a serious injury. Yet, BC says it's OK to play for them. I just hope for the kid's sake that he is getting the best medical advice as his long term health is more important than an extra year of college football. I also can't believe that BC would take the risk of allowing him to play.

Well, if you believe that BC is inherently evil and does not care about its student athletes health and welfare, it could easily be understood from that perspective it would seem to me. On the other hand, it is equally plausable that none of us has sufficient information on the medical condition to effectively evaluate the apparent difference of opinion from the medical community as they evaluate this athlete, and as he, his parents, and the school make their decision as to whether or not he is sufficienly fit enough to play football again..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom