Two stunning testaments to UConn's dominance | The Boneyard

Two stunning testaments to UConn's dominance

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I've been thinking about various frameworks that just go to show how impressive UConn's 10 national championships have been. Here is a mere snippet of what I've come up with:

• The two most populous states in the Union have a total of seven schools that have produced 10 combined NCs: UCLA 1978, USC 1983 & 1984, Texas 1986, Stanford 1990 & 1992, Texas Tech 1993, Baylor 2005 & 2012, Texas A&M 2011. Little 'ol Connecticut by itself has but one school that produced as many NCs as those aforementioned seven programs.
  • Four schools (Immaculata 1973, Lousiana Tech 1981, Texas 1986, and Tennessee 1998) compiled a total of four undefeated seasons. UConn has five by itself...and really should also have been undefeated in 2000, 2003, and 2015.

Contemplate that if you will. Staggering...just staggering.

Reaction Score
Since the loss in the Big East Championship game in 2013, and Stewie going back into the starting line-up, 84-1, with 18-0 in the NCAA tournament.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
baggerbob said:
Since the loss in the Big East Championship game in 2013, and Stewie going back into the starting line-up, 84-1, with 18-0 in the NCAA tournament.

I posted this before, but that 18-game tourney winning streak is just three shy of a record Tennessee holds. If the Huskies make the Final Four in 2016, that record will have been broken.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I've been thinking about various frameworks that just go to show how impressive UConn's 10 national championships have been. Here is a mere snippet of what I've come up with:

• The two most populous states in the Union have a total of seven schools that have produced 10 combined NCs: UCLA 1978, USC 1983 & 1984, Texas 1986, Stanford 1990 & 1992, Texas Tech 1993, Baylor 2005 & 2012, Texas A&M 2011. Little 'ol Connecticut by itself has but one school that produced as many NCs as those aforementioned seven programs.
  • Four schools (Immaculata 1973, Lousiana Tech 1981, Texas 1986, and Tennessee 1998) compiled a total of four undefeated seasons. UConn has five by itself...and really should also have been undefeated in 2000, 2003, and 2015.

Contemplate that if you will. Staggering...just staggering.
Alex, I'm impressed that UConn has as many championships as all those schools put together, but - just to be honest - what in the heck does the fact they are in the most populous states have to do with it. If UConn thrived on a diet rich in Connecticut players and most of those schools had primarily home grown talent, one could perhaps make the comparison with more validity. But only some - and certainly not all and probably not most - relied on in-state talent, and UConn certainly doesn't.

Likewise, I am not only impressed that you have more undefeated seasons than those schools - add in Baylor's and I think you have all there have ever been, and UConn has half of them. And I'm sure UConn has more wins than the others combined in those seasons, too. But - should have? - probably doesn't really count.

It really isn't necessary to make what seem "stretch" facts to show that UConn has been the top program in WBB. The few folks who don't recognize that won't be convinced by facts, in any case.

I sometimes think a lot of UConn fans really think the rest of Women's Basketball doesn't respect them or respect Geno. I would suggest that most respect both Geno and his program to the max. They may not like UConn's success (nor is there any reason they should have to) and they may or may not like Geno (I've said before, he was elected WBCA president and wins enough awards that I don't think he is exactly "hated"). And to be honest, part of the reason some are not fond of Geno is that he tells it like he sees it and doesn't exactly go out of his way to play the political games that exist in WBB like everywhere else. Nor should he. But respect - I believe UConn and Geno have that.

Reaction Score
Yes, our incoming class must improve on that.:p

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Other examples of dominance- UConn hasn't lost two games in a row since the 1992-3 season and UConn has made, at least the Sweet 16, for the last 22 seasons.
and who did they lose to when they did?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
KnightBridgeAZ said:
Alex, I'm impressed that UConn has as many championships as all those schools put together, but - just to be honest - what in the heck does the fact they are in the most populous states have to do with it. If UConn thrived on a diet rich in Connecticut players and most of those schools had primarily home grown talent, one could perhaps make the comparison with more validity. But only some - and certainly not all and probably not most - relied on in-state talent, and UConn certainly doesn't. Likewise, I am not only impressed that you have more undefeated seasons than those schools - add in Baylor's and I think you have all there have ever been, and UConn has half of them. And I'm sure UConn has more wins than the others combined in those seasons, too. But - should have? - probably doesn't really count. It really isn't necessary to make what seem "stretch" facts to show that UConn has been the top program in WBB. The few folks who don't recognize that won't be convinced by facts, in any case. I sometimes think a lot of UConn fans really think the rest of Women's Basketball doesn't respect them or respect Geno. I would suggest that most respect both Geno and his program to the max. They may not like UConn's success (nor is there any reason they should have to) and they may or may not like Geno (I've said before, he was elected WBCA president and wins enough awards that I don't think he is exactly "hated"). And to be honest, part of the reason some are not fond of Geno is that he tells it like he sees it and doesn't exactly go out of his way to play the political games that exist in WBB like everywhere else. Nor should he. But respect - I believe UConn and Geno have that.
Boy, was this long and pedantic.

I'm not going to argue with you about three seasons with blemishes That should have been unblemished. Bottom line, those three seasons were near-juggernauts that could well have increased the already-impressive total of five perfect Husky seasons to eight. As it was, they lost. We get it. How many other programs have one-loss national championship seasons where the one defeat was fluky and by fewer than five points?

What do he two most populous states have to do with anything? Well jeez, they have a ton of well-funded D1 athletic departments that have enjoyed championship success. By the conclusion of Geno's first season, those two states had produced four WCBB NCs. By the time UConn got its first NC, those two states had produced seven. By 2012, they had 10 NCs...and UConn by itself has now won as many as seven schools from two states. If don't think that's impressive...don't be impressed.

Accusing me of stretching facts makes this post go from pedantic to polemic. What on earth was the motivation in that? Why would I need argue that UConn is the top program in wcbb? Should I start a new thread arguing that the sky is blue? Would I be stretching facts if I did?

Reaction Score
UConn fan being a fan and talking about the team he follows.....UConn.....on a forum dedicated to the team he follows.....UConn.....da noive.

Reaction Score
'Da noive, indeed!'
the-three-stooges-three-stooges-29303356-800-600.jpg

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

I'm not going to argue with you about three seasons with blemishes That should have been unblemished. Bottom line, those three seasons were near-juggernauts that could well have increased the already-impressive total of five perfect Husky seasons to eight. As it was, they lost. We get it. How many other programs have one-loss national championship seasons where the one defeat was fluky and by fewer than five points?

What do he two most populous states have to do with anything? Well jeez, they have a ton of well-funded D1 athletic departments that have enjoyed championship success. By the conclusion of Geno's first season, those two states had produced four WCBB NCs. By the time UConn got its first NC, those two states had produced seven. By 2012, they had 10 NCs...and UConn by itself has now won as many as seven schools from two states. If don't think that's impressive...don't be impressed.

Accusing me of stretching facts makes this post go from pedantic to polemic. What on earth was the motivation in that? Why would I need argue that UConn is the top program in wcbb? Should I start a new thread arguing that the sky is blue? Would I be stretching facts if I did?
After this, I'm dropping out of the discussion, I clearly am not allowed to praise UConn as a non fan.

I said I was very impressed with both of your facts - you said I wasn't.

I did say that I thought it was a stretch to specifically cite what states those programs were in - although I said I thought it was remarkable that UConn had won as many NC's as those storied programs. I just didn't think the state part was relevant. You said I was accusing you of stretching facts.

I was interested with the undefeated seasons stat, and I wasn't rubbing in one-loss seasons, a one loss season to the rest of us isn't much less impressive than a no loss season. Rutgers, for example, was pretty successful and never came close! Very few teams have - maybe (and only maybe) there have been more one loss than perfect seasons, but I'd bet not by many.

In any case, I have long had a policy not to involve myself in purely UConn discussions. I now remember why.

Reaction Score

Another indicator of dominance is when people begin speaking more about losses than wins. We have more perfect seasons than any other program but what gets folks arguing? The few times we lost one. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I posted this before, but that 18-game tourney winning streak is just three shy of a record Tennessee holds. If the Huskies make the Final Four in 2016, that record will have been broken.
It's always good to knock Tennessee out of the record books. :)

Nothing is guaranteed, and other teams will be better, but Stewie, Moriah, Morgan, et al. have the talent, experience, and will to get us to the Final Four at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom