Two cool Microsoft apps | The Boneyard

Two cool Microsoft apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I just realized this forum was here - did I miss a post where it was advertised? If not, it probably should be.

Anyhow, I've found a couple of really cool free apps from MS.

The first is mousewithoutboarders. It's basically a software based KVM that allows you to control up to four computers from a single keyboard and mouse. If you have desktop and a laptop and put them next to each other, the workstation keyboard and mouse can just slide on over to the laptop and run there like a local keyboard and mouse. It also allows you to drag and drop between the systems. Very cool app if you need something like that. I don't really have a need for it, but I downloaded it to test and it works great.

The second is SyncToy. This is another free app from MS that allows you to sync folders. You can sync between computers if you want to have the same files on both or you can sync between your primary storage and an external USB for backup. I've setup my picture, music and document folders to sync to an external USB whenever I turn my computer on. If you ever have to get out of your house in hurry (fire, tornado, earthquake, etc.) you can just grab the USB drive and have all your irreplaceable files in an easy to carry package. The documentation has easy instructions for syncing at bootup or if you leave your machine on all the time, in the middle of the night using the scheduler.

I would be interested in knowing if either of these were useful for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99
Top Bottom