Twitter Campaign to get Dairy Bar Food Truck at the Rent | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Twitter Campaign to get Dairy Bar Food Truck at the Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah that was the answer (not official) that I got was they were not allowed because all those food vendors contract with Sodexo. The whole deal UConn gets at the rent is such a fack job. They pay 100k/game to play there and get zero point zero percent of concession money. I'm don't know about parking. It wasn't an insignificant nut for them just to open the gates an hour earlier. There was a big campaign to try to liven the game day experience for fans. They were willing to spend some money. They clearly did, but you can't hire the Boss to play halftime without breaking our already strained bank. Let's go Huskies!
Most ironic thing about the Rent management contract..Uconn's lease allowed them to have talks with the CRDA about managing the Rent. The CRDA wanted to consolidate management and basically gave the contract to Global because of their marketing ability.
Recommendation On XL Center, Rentschler Field Contracts Could Come Next Week - HartfordInfo.org

Reaction Score
My gut instinct is that unless the Rent negotiated a special exception to allow the Rent to directly sell Dairy Barn ice cream at the rent when the RFP was negotiated, it won't happen. Sodexo, like all large, corporate food service providers, sells a 'service' to place like the Rent, colleges, airports, malls, jails, etc. and that service is the ability to a be a one-stop provider that due to its large footprint can negotiate better rates, terms and conditions than a client can do on its own. Within that structure, Sodexo will have its own food providers, such as ice cream vendors, that it negotiates with. The difference between the price that Sodexo buys a food for and the rate it sells such to the Rent is Sodexo's profit (the Rent then adds its own cost as part of the contract onto the food items to generate its own concessions revenue, if applicable). Sodexo is not going to want Dairy Barn ice cream at the Rent (or XL) because that would compete with its own products.

Reaction Score
My gut instinct is that unless the Rent negotiated a special exception to allow the Rent to directly sell Dairy Barn ice cream at the rent when the RFP was negotiated, it won't happen. Sodexo, like all large, corporate food service providers, sells a 'service' to place like the Rent, colleges, airports, malls, jails, etc. and that service is the ability to a be a one-stop provider that due to its large footprint can negotiate better rates, terms and conditions than a client can do on its own. Within that structure, Sodexo will have its own food providers, such as ice cream vendors, that it negotiates with. The difference between the price that Sodexo buys a food for and the rate it sells such to the Rent is Sodexo's profit (the Rent then adds its own cost as part of the contract onto the food items to generate its own concessions revenue, if applicable). Sodexo is not going to want Dairy Barn ice cream at the Rent (or XL) because that would compete with its own products.

Yea, this is wholly wrong. This is a contract for management and services. There is guaranteed to provisions in the contract for add-ons and revisions. Its marketing we are talking about here, not rev-gen.

Reaction Score
I just signed the petition, hopefully they can work something out. Anyone know if that ridiculous concessions contract is in place for the spring game? Be nice if they could bring the truck out as part of the fan fest area or in the parking lots beforehand

Reaction Score
I included AD Benedict in a tweet yesterday about getting the Dairy Bar truck at The Rent. No response yet. Maybe I'll get some ice cream in the mail instead of a signed pic of Coach Diaco.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Unless we give them the concession.

Reaction Score
How does the Sodexo contract work with the local charties? Cause, every time I get a dirty from burnside, it has a sign saying proceeds go to Tolland high school? Is it just the tips that go to the school since most of the workers are just volunteers?

Do the same with the dairy bar. Cost goes to Sodexo and tips go to UConn?

I want this to happen, but I also want a different local brewery have a stand at each game. New local beer every game.

Reaction Score
How does the Sodexo contract work with the local charties? Cause, every time I get a dirty from burnside, it has a sign saying proceeds go to Tolland high school? Is it just the tips that go to the school since most of the workers are just volunteers?

I want this to happen, but I also want a different local brewery have a stand at each game. New local beer every game.
GREAT idea!!!

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Or you know, instead of reconstructing a collegiate campus around a random stadium they could've just put the damn thing where it belongs in the first place :rolleyes:

But that isn't happening anytime soon so yes, sell the ice cream at the concession stands. If I can get a gourmet sandwich and craft beer I should be able to get UConn made ice cream. Maybe even give the Rent its own flavor

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Or you know, instead of reconstructing a collegiate campus around a random stadium they could've just put the damn thing where it belongs in the first place :rolleyes:

But that isn't happening anytime soon so yes, sell the ice cream at the concession stands. If I can get a gourmet sandwich and craft beer I should be able to get UConn made ice cream. Maybe even give the Rent its own flavor

Bob Di-Choco. Ka-ching.

Reaction Score

The volunteers in at the concessions are from non-profit organizations and are usually a group from a particular organization (for example rather than Tolland High School it may be Tolland High School soccer booster club). They get a small percentage of sales (from what I was told it is a real small percentage) and all the tips.

Reaction Score
OK

So lets make it happen. I built a petition to @sodexousa and @uconnfootball on change.org. Lets get signatures. Share it on facebook, twitter, etc

@sodexousa : UConn Dairy Bar Ice Cream should be sold at UConn Football Games
FYI-You may want to change your petition. Sudexo hasn't handled the concessions at the Rent for a couple of years. Spectra Food Services & Hospitality now handles the concessions. I don't know but they may be more flexible than Sudexo was. Since they took over they have added some local vendors (Bears BarBQ, Stone and Paddle pizza, Ted's cheeseburgers).

From the Rentschler Field website:
Concessions

Spectra Food Services & Hospitality manages food and beverage at Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field. The outside perimeter concourse level of the stadium has 17 concession stands located around it. Sixteen of those concession stands will have complete food preparation and vending availability while the other four are only equipped for vending. The southeast side of the stadium lower level provides the appropriate kitchen/preparation space, office space, and employee space.

Spectra Venue Management

Spectra by Comcast Spectacor is the expert in hosting and entertainment, partnering with over 300 clients at 400 global properties to create memorable experiences for millions of visitors every year. Spectra’s expertise is embodied within three divisions: Venue Management (formerly Global Spectrum), Food Services & Hospitality (formerly Ovations Food Services), and Ticketing & Fan Engagement (formerly Paciolan). Learn more at SpectraExperiences.com. Comcast Spectacor is part of Comcast Corporation, a Fortune 50 media and technology company that operates Comcast Cable and NBCUniversal. Headquartered in Philadelphia, PA, in addition to Spectra, Comcast Spectacor owns and operates the National Hockey League’s Philadelphia Flyers and the Wells Fargo Center venue. Visit us at ComcastSpectacor.com, PhiladelphiaFlyers.com, and WellsFargoCenterPhilly.com for more information.

Reaction Score
FYI - I was in NYC tonight at a social talking with some guy name Dave and a woman named Sue and they are both adamant that there will be a UConn Dairy Bar truck at the Rent this fall. I have no idea who they are; but, they seem to know what they are talking about.

Reaction Score
FYI - I was in NYC tonight at a social talking with some guy name Dave and a woman named Sue and they are both adamant that there will be a UConn Dairy Bar truck at the Rent this fall. I have no idea who they are; but, they seem to know what they are talking about.
That's AWESOME!!! Nice job guys...I told you Benedict was active on twitter.

Reaction Score
That's AWESOME!!! Nice job guys...I told you Benedict was active on twitter.

Dave actually mentioned that he had never seen so many Tweets about ice cream in his life, welcome to UConn, Dave. One can mess with our conference affiliation, APR scores, and football coaching staff; but, not not mess with the Dairy Bar.

Reaction Score
Dave actually mentioned that he had never seen so many Tweets about ice cream in his life, welcome to UConn, Dave. One can mess with our conference affiliation, APR scores, and football coaching staff; but, not not mess with the Dairy Bar.
How was the event? I'm sure they were asked the normal CR questions... They always are. I'm interested in what Benedict had to say about his vision (marketing, fan experience, etc..) for the athletic department.

Reaction Score
How was the event? I'm sure they were asked the normal CR questions... They always are. I'm interested in what Benedict had to say about his vision (marketing, fan experience, etc..) for the athletic department.

It was a good event, maybe 50 alumns. Susan talked for a bit and showed the new UConn welcome video. It was good. She also re-emphasized UConn's focus on research, luring other professors to Storrs, and that sports are the university's front door, such as highlighting that no amount of marketing dollars spent by UConn could match the positive publicity that Adam's heave at the buzzer in Orlando generated for UConn. Dave said UConn's athletic focus in on competitiveness, academics, and facility improvement noting pending plans for soccer, baseball and softball. Also pointed out that how schools like Auburn team football games like alumni socials on steroids and both he and Susan emphasized to need to host as many events in and around NYC as much as possible with a specific focus on UConn's home at MSG. Losing the old Big E Tournament was the biggest hit to UConn due to the realignment process as that event served as a week long alumni social. Also stated that based on budget, facilities and on-field success that UConn is a P5 school that happens not be in the a P5 conference. On the way out, I was talking to him and Sue about the whole Dairy Bar think and I was also giving him pointer on things to do (he has not made a run to New Haven for Pepe's/Sally's/Modern yet)and someone else brought-up the B1G TV contract. He has some very strong opinions on when (not if) the next conference realignment phase will begin and of the two 'weaker' conference, which will be left standing. Combine those opinions along with the fact that he took the UConn job in the first place...

Reaction Score
It was a good event, maybe 50 alumns. Susan talked for a bit and showed the new UConn welcome video. It was good. She also re-emphasized UConn's focus on research, luring other professors to Storrs, and that sports are the university's front door, such as highlighting that no amount of marketing dollars spent by UConn could match the positive publicity that Adam's heave at the buzzer in Orlando generated for UConn. Dave said UConn's athletic focus in on competitiveness, academics, and facility improvement noting pending plans for soccer, baseball and softball. Also pointed out that how schools like Auburn team football games like alumni socials on steroids and both he and Susan emphasized to need to host as many events in and around NYC as much as possible with a specific focus on UConn's home at MSG. Losing the old Big E Tournament was the biggest hit to UConn due to the realignment process as that event served as a week long alumni social. Also stated that based on budget, facilities and on-field success that UConn is a P5 school that happens not be in the a P5 conference. On the way out, I was talking to him and Sue about the whole Dairy Bar think and I was also giving him pointer on things to do (he has not made a run to New Haven for Pepe's/Sally's/Modern yet)and someone else brought-up the B1G TV contract. He has some very strong opinions on when (not if) the next conference realignment phase will begin and of the two 'weaker' conference, which will be left standing. Combine those opinions along with the fact that he took the UConn job in the first place...
Thanks @Mr. Conehead Did he mention anything about the ice hockey facility? And did anyone ask him about the Uconn's apparel/shoe deal with Nike that will be expiring in about 18 months?

Reaction Score
Thanks @Mr. Conehead Did he mention anything about the ice hockey facility?

No and no one asked, including myself. Sorry. Beside the afore mentioned facilities, they did talk about non-athletic projects such as UConn Health and expansion in Stamford and Hartford campuses. Some one should ask that at the Fairfield event in a few weeks,

Reaction Score

This, this, and this again. Why would HE be here if he did not this something was going to happen relatively soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom