TV viewing? | The Boneyard

TV viewing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is there a reason why the first two scrimages (vs. Lubbock Christian and Vanguard) are not broadcast on TV?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Don't think last year's were on either, were they? One of them was later put up on the Husky Games website from an arena feed, so maybe one or two of these will be as well.

Reaction Score
Is there a reason why the first two scrimages (vs. Lubbock Christian and Vanguard) are not broadcast on TV?
Because they're not real games? Most programs don't even have all of their actual games on TV, let alone scrimmages.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They've never broadcast the scrimmages. Normally on the radio though.

Reaction Score
But OP is asking for the reason. Probably because there's no money in it.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Short explanation is that it is an NCAA rule which prevents it. Longer explanation can be found in this article on ESPN.
http://espn.go.com/blog/espnevents/post/_/id/377/its-secret-scrimmage-time
You are confusing 2 separate things. Scrimmages are not open to the public, exhibition games are. Teams are forbidden to publicize anything about scrimmages (except I think they can admit to it happening, or at least it "gets out"). No fans permitted, no records maintained, etc. etc.

Exhibition games against lower level programs are generally not televised. They are open to fans, the stats don't count for anything but they can be kept, publicized, etc. I expect the games are not televised because the team is not expected to be in great form, nor is the game generally competitive.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If I am not mistaken the Baylor exhibition games are always streamed. Are the UCONN games usually streamed during the regular season on All-Access?

Reaction Score
If I am not mistaken the Baylor exhibition games are always streamed. Are the UCONN games usually streamed during the regular season on All-Access?
Sometimes games are streamed on ESPN3, but half of the games are on national networks like ESPN or CBS, and the rest are on SNY (there was only one game you had to stream on ESPN3 last season-UC Davis-because it was a 10pm ET start and wasn't broadcast), so one doesn't really need to stream the games because they are all on TV. Except these exhibition games which I don't think have ever been on TV. No point in broadcasting a game that will end 115-23 anyway. We're just spoiled and don't realize that other top programs like ND and Tennessee don't have TV coverage as good as we have it, so we have come to expect everything this team does to be on TV.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Even if a game is a huge blowout I like to watch players to see if they have skills in certain areas. Can they hit a pull-up jumper, can they handle the rock, can they make free throws, etc.

Reaction Score
Leave it to the NCAA. Hookers for recruits? Fake classes for athletes? No problem. Broadcasting a women's basketball preseason scrimmage? No can do.

Men's team exhibition games aren't televised either.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
The SECN is showing Tennessee's exhibition online. They did last year too.

They are also showing LSU, Kentucky, and South Carolina exhibitions as well.

Reaction Score

Maybe for the same reason that you can't watch sausage made--or shouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom