Tulane Addition - Nine Days | The Boneyard

Tulane Addition - Nine Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
What value would they add? How come nobody votes? Or was it unanimous, cause everybody wants out!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Amazing.

I think the important "phrase" from Aresco was that NO is an important market. That, again, leaves me believing that Aresco - with Network execs - were keenly aware of the numbers presented by these Universities location.

Plus, this article highlights the fraternity aspect of University Presidents.

Reaction Score
The oncampus stadium should help immensely. Right now Tulane seems to attract about 2-6k actual real fans to games plus whatever the opponent brings at the SuperDome. When I organized a group of Syracusefan.com posters we were able to purchase 200 tickets right on the 50 about 6-14 rows up. Cuse fans actually were at least equal to Tulane fans that day. I guesstimate about 4-5000 actual fans that day...with an announced attendance of 23,188.

Having it at the campus should create a much better gameday environment and get some more students...but unless they start winning I think you'll see crowds no more than 10-15k after the novelty wears off of the new stadium. I do highly recommend taking in a UConn game down in NOLA.

Reaction Score
It's surprising that they don't have a more successful tradition athletically. I still think adding them was a terrible idea. There were better options. Perhaps we should have waited on them a little while longer.

The Catholics leaving was inevitable, but the timing was brutal.

Reaction Score
Don't you all think the comments by the Marquette AD Larry Williams were brutal. And fundamentally incorrect. The C-7 were going to leave ... and rode the backs of the Hoop elite teams (UConn, Pitt, SU, Louisville) for the better part of a decade. His comments pinning their exit on Tulane were over-the-top.

And ... this guy Williams, a football player from ND, has been with the BE conference for ... about a cup of coffee.

Reaction Score
Don't you all think the comments by the Marquette AD Larry Williams were brutal. And fundamentally incorrect. The C-7 were going to leave ... and rode the backs of the Hoop elite teams (UConn, Pitt, SU, Louisville) for the better part of a decade. His comments pinning their exit on Tulane were over-the-top.

And ... this guy Williams, a football player from ND, has been with the BE conference for ... about a cup of coffee.

Comments pissed me off for sure. I'm still pissed off reading them again. Marquette is a school that should STFU. At least DePaul knew to STFU. If not for BIg EAst football, Marquette is still in the middle of Milwaukee collecting peanuts for their athletic prgorams.

Tulane is a charter member - founding member - of the SEC, but went independant in the 1960s, argueably following the Ivy league lead of de-emphasizing football, and Tulane was one of the movers in the First Great Migration - giving up three decades of indepenance for a conference in the 1990s.

Look at their program now, and it's not much. But the growth potential is there, for sure. As it is with the entire Big East.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Amazing.

I think the important "phrase" from Aresco was that NO is an important market. That, again, leaves me believing that Aresco - with Network execs - were keenly aware of the numbers presented by these Universities location.

Plus, this article highlights the fraternity aspect of University Presidents.
Aresco responded, "Great, John, their AD, Rick Dixon, is an old friend and he called this afternoon. They are extremely interested. This would be a big one for us, important market, great school academically, and Scott would be in our tent on the BCS revenue share matter we have to deal with as well as other things. He’s a bulldog and very sharp. Keep me posted. Thanks, Mike."
I think tht bolded language is more important and possibly a key to the C7s departure (although I suspect that they started getting thier ducks in a row with the departure of 'ville.

Reaction Score
In hindsight, if that is what it took to split from the C7, why the hell didn't we invite them in 2003? I'm only half joking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom