Trying to be optimistic | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Trying to be optimistic

Reaction Score
I thought Carlton played great. We were asking him to show up for big games. Now he isn't doing enough? People are too hard on this guy. He is becoming the rock of our offense. Unfortunately our guards decided to take the night off.
He needs to finish around the basket with consistency and regularity. And AUTHORITY. He's too big a dude to miss countless layups and shots close to the basket. He's got no strength to finish among the other big bodies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Josh is our only serviceable big who can bang in the trenches, which I love. However, he misses some easy layups that cost us
Josh was not the problem. He made a number of aggressive baskets. This game was lost on lousy offensives performance by the veteran guards and on Hurley for not reading the riot act to them after two bad possessions in a row in the last 6 minutes of the first half, repeated toward the end of the game. Obviously Vital missed some big FT he doesn’t often miss, but that’s just one of those things that happens and had nothing to do with playing smart.

Reaction Score
Akok was the only guy who came to play. Everyone else played awful. Bad shots. Tons of turnovers. Couldn't grab a rebound to save our lives. No offensive flow outside of a 2 min stretch early. No breaks from the zebras all night.

And yet we had a chance to win the game, somehow. That has to be a positive, right? Right?....
The rebounding was even: (offensive+defensive) 10+27 for Uconn, 11+23 for Indiana. It was the turnovers and shooting that cost us, nothing else.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
He needs to finish around the basket with consistency and regularity. And AUTHORITY. He's too big a dude to miss countless layups and shots close to the basket. He's got no strength to finish among the other big bodies.
Next on his list, then free throws.
Still growing.

Reaction Score
Our starting four year guards are 17-82 shooting in our losses and you're going after our big for not finishing after he went 9-14 last night. Smdh

Reaction Score
Can’t take anything positive out of this game besides Akok. Indiana is not a good team. Very disappointed in our guard play and Hurley needs to work on our half court offense because it was putrid.
That high screen rotations at the top of the key kill us. They eat time with the ball nowhere near a scoring position and a lot of useless motion. Time ticks down and we get forced penetration or a forced 3. We have to get the ball moving in and out of corners and using more low post screens with passes in and kick outs. The NBA high screen shake and drive is for A+ playmaker PGs off the dribble. We don’t have those guys.

Reaction Score
Josh needs to get off his feet, Tell him he is allowed to jump in basketball. He would be a much better player.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
C V is streaky. Hurley has to sit him when he is both cold and out of control. We need A G because, appearently, he is our only guard who can get the ball across mid-court without a turnover. But he has to sit also when he starts forcing shots.
Hurley can wait for them to change or he can sit them. They ain't changing. Period!

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
C V is streaky. Hurley has to sit him when he is both cold and out of control. We need A G because, appearently, he is our only guard who can get the ball across mid-court without a turnover. But he has to sit also when he starts forcing shots.
Hurley can wait for them to change or he can sit them. They ain't changing. Period!
Vital is a double-edged sword. Offensively he can get hot from 3. But his ball handling, decision making and shot selection are more-often-than-not poor. On the other hand, the guy plays hard on the defensive end, and wants every rebound. Hard to bench that guy. Now if Adams can be that guy ...

Reaction Score
Our starting four year guards are 17-82 shooting in our losses and you're going after our big for not finishing after he went 9-14 last night. Smdh
Have you watched the games? Please. You're the one that wants Boukinight taking every last shot 10 games (7 due to suspension) into his college career. You're seriously hell bent on pulling Vital and or Gilbert. Get over it dude.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think we're gonna get it together for conference play.

Reaction Score
Have you watched the games? Please. You're the one that wants Boukinight taking every last shot 10 games (7 due to suspension) into his college career. You're seriously hell bent on pulling Vital and or Gilbert. Get over it dude.
Never said anything about pulling Gilbert, Alterique is the most important player for us out of necessity just wish he could rein himself in, when he does we can be a really good team. Of course I want Bouknight taking shots when it matters over Vital.

I assumed it was the booze talking last night with you but it seems not.

Reaction Score
Never said anything about pulling Gilbert, Alterique is the most important player for us out of necessity just wish he could rein himself in, when he does we can be a really good team. Of course I want Bouknight taking shots when it matters over Vital.

I assumed it was the booze talking last night with you but it seems not.
If he looked to drive and dish first instead of doing his drives to nowhere routine in the middle of the lane, yup, we can be really good.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I thought there was a lot to be optimistic about in that game. There were quite a few head-scatchers too, but if you have to try that hard to be optimistic after the Indiana game, I question whether you experienced any of the last three seasons.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just so hard to be optimistic when we easily could have won that game. If just one thing went right (cv not having worst game ever , cv making a few more free throws, jb getting 6 points, Ag making a couple jumpers, Adams giving us something -anything) it was such a winnable game. Really bothers me. Such a fine line this year between us being 6-3 and 9-0. We re continuously shooting ourselves in the foot.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Just so hard to be optimistic when we easily could have won that game. If just one thing went right (cv not having worst game ever , cv making a few more free throws, jb getting 6 points, Ag making a couple jumpers, Adams giving us something -anything) it was such a winnable game. Really bothers me. Such a fine line this year between us being 6-3 and 9-0. We re continuously shooting ourselves in the foot.
That right there is reason enough to be optimistic. In the latter Ollie years the fine line would have been between 6-3 and 3-6. 9-0 would have never been a consideration.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought Carlton played great. We were asking him to show up for big games. Now he isn't doing enough? People are too hard on this guy. He is becoming the rock of our offense. Unfortunately our guards decided to take the night off.

He was good not great. 4 TOs are killer better decisions out of the double team need to be his priority and not bouncing the ball when 15 feet away. Other than that I agree he was very active and solid.

Reaction Score
If this game was at 7pm we win. West coast teams playing west coast times in the East coast > east coast teams playing west coast times in the east coast. No question

Reaction Score
If this game was at 7pm we win. West coast teams playing west coast times in the East coast > east coast teams playing west coast times in the east coast. No question

Excellent point, except that Indiana is not a west coast team, and, last I looked, Bloomington, IN is in the eastern time zone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom