Trouble in Ruttyland | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Trouble in Ruttyland

Reaction Score
I was an RU season ticket holder for a number of years. It started during Terry Shea's tenure and went through Schiano. I started going because the tickets were cheap as a young (grad) alum, they played good teams (not as good as current B1G) and some friends would tailgate. I wasn't a big fan, so I didn't really care when they were getting curb-stomped by everyone. I got into it more when Schiano turned them around, but I still never become fully vested. I stopped when I moved further north and my kids started youth sports so life didn't allow for tailgating and games that were an hour away without gameday traffic.

That being said, I don't think the school really cares. They got where they wanted to be for decades, and now they don't see an incentive in rocking the boat. I also know they alienated some long time fans with the post-Mike Rice firing of Pernetti. That guy is so polarizing. I know people that I trust who love him and loathe him.
I agree with you. Rutgers doesn't care if they ever win a game again. They have what they have always dreamed of and will continue to cash their checks from the Big Ten with a smile on their faces.

Reaction Score
I read the other day they're slated to get a partial payout from the Big Ten this year of a paltry 24 million.

Reaction Score
The thing that bugs me most about Rutgers is the name. Its the University of New Jersey. But they don't call it that, and try to make it sound like Princeton, or Cirnell, or Lehigh or Bucknell. Rutgers.

Its the University of New Jersey. Seems like they havevalways beenbembarrassed to call it that.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
That looks like pre-game, so the other 35,000 are likely still tailgating.....
I mean, they’re lined up for kickoff. Nice section of purple in the left corner though.

Reaction Score
The thing that bugs me most about Rutgers is the name. Its the University of New Jersey. But they don't call it that, and try to make it sound like Princeton, or Cirnell, or Lehigh or Bucknell. Rutgers.

Its the University of New Jersey. Seems like they havevalways beenbembarrassed to call it that.

Princeton was founded as the College of New Jersey back in Colonial days and thus, I believed 'owned' the University of New Jersey name. Queens College, also founded before 1776. The school eventually went bankrupt and was brought back by a guy with the last name Rutgers, thus the name change to Rutgers College in the 1820's. In the 1860's it became the land-grand state university for New Jersey.

Anyone want to come-up with new names for Rutgers after it got saved by the B1G?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The school eventually went bankrupt and was brought back by a guy with the last name Rutgers, thus the name change to Rutgers College in the 1820's
Nice. Most people don't know this or that it was defunct for a few years. RU uses the founding date of Queen's College, but that institution shut it's door. RU was founded in the 1800's as you point out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nice. Most people don't know this or that it was defunct for a few years. RU uses the founding date of Queen's College, but that institution shut it's door. RU was founded in the 100's as you point out.

See - this is the stuff I'm talking about. it's the University of New Jersey, but they won't call it the University of New Jersey and they use some dude's name, to make it SOUND like an Ivy or Pennsylvania lacrosse school or Patriot league team or something, when they're really founded on a college that went out of business.

University of New Jersey.

CL82

Reaction Score
See - this is the stuff I'm talking about. it's the University of New Jersey, but they won't call it the University of New Jersey and they use some dude's name, to make it SOUND like an Ivy or Pennsylvania lacrosse school or Patriot league team or something, when they're really founded on a college that went out of business.

University of New Jersey.
They do have this on the letterhead:
1540411326591.png

It was played up more a few years ago when the legislature made a push for it.

Reaction Score
Rutgers ain't the birthplace of college football. That would be Harvard. Parke Davis lied.

Reaction Score
They do have this on the letterhead:
View attachment 35579
It was played up more a few years ago when the legislature made a push for it.

Nah, they still try to make it sound like an Ivy or Patriot league school or something.

(i.e.: What school is your kid going to? What schools are you looking at?

Michigan, Tennessee, Nebraska, Texas, Georgia, Maryand, Maine, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Rutgers.

Nope - they're a poser university at everything.

Reaction Score
Nah, they still try to make it sound like an Ivy or Patriot league school or something.

Michigan, Tennessee, Nebraska, Texas, Georgia, Maryand, Maine, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Rutgers.

Lol genuinely interested in how you came up with that group of schools to list

Reaction Score
Princeton was founded as the College of New Jersey back in Colonial days and thus, I believed 'owned' the University of New Jersey name. Queens College, also founded before 1776. The school eventually went bankrupt and was brought back by a guy with the last name Rutgers, thus the name change to Rutgers College in the 1820's. In the 1860's it became the land-grand state university for New Jersey.

Anyone want to come-up with new names for Rutgers after it got saved by the B1G?

Rearmost. Signifies LAST while saving them money on their logos by allowing them to maintain the capital letter "R" on jackets, hats, etc.

CL82

Reaction Score

Since I live in Jersey, Rutgers is just State U to us, but I can see how outside of the State the state it sounds like a private.

Reaction Score
Since I live in Jersey, Rutgers is just State U to us, but I can see how outside of the State the state it sounds like a private.

I won a bar trivia night in DC years ago knowing that Rutgers was a state school.

The question was “name the state schools founded before the Revolution” or something along those lines...

Reaction Score
I won a bar trivia night in DC years ago knowing that Rutgers was a state school.

The question was “name the state schools founded before the Revolution” or something along those lines...

William & Mary would also fit as it's a state university (Virginia) and was founded in the late 1600's just after New College, i.e. Harvard. Delaware, Pitt and the College of Charleston are also very old.

Reaction Score
William & Mary would also fit as it's a state university (Virginia) and was founded in the late 1600's just after New College, i.e. Harvard. Delaware, Pitt and the College of Charleston are also very old.

William & Mary and Rutgers are the ones I can remember.

Reaction Score

>>A linebacker on the Rutgers University football team was accused Tuesday of involvement in a plot to murder two members of a friend's family, authorities said.

Izaia Bullock, 22, a junior at the university from Linden, faces two counts of first-degree attempted murder and two counts of first-degree conspiracy to commit murder.<<

Reaction Score
Between this and the clusterf @MD, a great day for the Big10.

Reaction Score

>>A linebacker on the Rutgers University football team was accused Tuesday of involvement in a plot to murder two members of a friend's family, authorities said.

Izaia Bullock, 22, a junior at the university from Linden, faces two counts of first-degree attempted murder and two counts of first-degree conspiracy to commit murder.<<

A few more details from the local paper...

Rutgers football player charged in attempted double-murder plot

Reaction Score

It is amazing the lengths that some people will go to avoid having to play for Rutgers.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom