Tristen playing now | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tristen playing now

Reaction Score
he’s a complete PG & will get a spot professionally

Reaction Score
TN talks a little about next steps here

UConn starting point guard Tristen Newton originally committed to the Huskies last spring anticipating spending only one year there after transferring in from East Carolina, but is now open to a return to school for his fifth year of eligibility. Newton had an impressive showing Sunday with 14 points and six rebounds after struggling Saturday.

“A school like UConn, I feel like that’s right under the pro level. We run our organization as pros, pro action. So it would more so be a guarantee [from an NBA team],” Newton says of his decision-making process. “I’m not going to jump in there just to say ‘I’m in the draft’. But the best case possible, if some team says they’ll get me, then we’ll see, talk to my family, talk to my agent and see what’s best for us.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
UConn starting point guard Tristen Newton originally committed to the Huskies last spring anticipating spending only one year there after transferring in from East Carolina, but is now open to a return to school for his fifth year of eligibility. Newton had an impressive showing Sunday with 14 points and six rebounds after struggling Saturday.

“A school like UConn, I feel like that’s right under the pro level. We run our organization as pros, pro action. So it would more so be a guarantee [from an NBA team],” Newton says of his decision-making process. “I’m not going to jump in there just to say ‘I’m in the draft’. But the best case possible, if some team says they’ll get me, then we’ll see, talk to my family, talk to my agent and see what’s best for us.

So he gets a guarantee or he's back

Reaction Score
I really hope Tristen comes back….I think he will be very important to our team next year…with his shooting and play making and veteran presence

Reactions: DCT
Reaction Score
Thought we may be hearing either way this week, as he'll have gotten enough feedback at this point between the combine and individual workouts.
Isn't the deadline in a week?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Yay! That would certainly be a huge plus seeing we are likely to see AJ, Sanogo and Hawk leaving. Another upperclassman like David Jones to help with the loss of Alleyne and Joey C. would help as well. Would love to see a strong bench and 9 deep rotation again if possible with lots of running.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
TN will return. All will be good except will he take a back seat to Castle?

Reaction Score
TN will return. All will be good except will he take a back seat to Castle?
Newton/Castle are combo guards who have very good handles.. Are they PGs?? Who cares?? They can play along side of each other and be highly effective because they are interchangeable.. Like Bazz/Boat(who were undersized combo guards playing PG).. Won't be a problem..

Reaction Score
The starting PG and star of the National Championship game isn’t going to take a backseat to a Freshman, no matter how talented. I expect Tristen to be an all league player.
I think there’s no reason they can’t play on the floor together plenty. Think of all that ball handling, shooting and two really big guards defending and hitting the boards. Yes please.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The starting PG and star of the National Championship game isn’t going to take a backseat to a Freshman, no matter how talented. I expect Tristen to be an all league player.
Eh, Oriaki would’ve thought the same thing.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Oh god. This place drives me nuts some times. Have some respect for a kid who just won you a national championship.

(By the way, if you’re old enough to remember, Oriakhi won a hell of a lot more at UConn than the kid who replaced him did.)
That’s the whole point. Oriaki won the year before too and still got replaced by the more talented freshman. At the end of the day talent trumps all and Castle is expected to be that talented. I hope Newton is prepared to play off of him.

Reaction Score
If Newton came back, the starting backcourt would be Newton and Castle. Newton would probably get to play off the ball and shoot and score more which would make him look good in next year’s draft. I think the 2 of them would share PG responsibility, but early on while Castle adjusts, Newton would be primary PG.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom