Tristen Newton Appreciation Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tristen Newton Appreciation Thread

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Game could've gotten ugly with the bright lights in the first half and we were for sure seeing them. He calmly would ease into every shot to keep the game in reach. Total stud. Wer're in good hands. I keep saying it but I weirdly loved this loss. It was revealing.
I don't know if I can say that I loved the loss, but there were a lot of things to appreciate about that game.

I loved Newton putting the team on his back and caring them when needed. I loved Spencer's determination in fighting through injury to stay on the floor. I loved Clingan battling against a talented 7 foot center and not backing down. I loved Solo getting meaningful game time experience in a tough environment. But mostly, I loved the fact that an injured and depleted team went into a very difficult place to play against a well coached team and battled back to make it a game at the end.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I don't know if I can say that I loved the loss, but there were a lot of things to appreciate about that game.

I loved Newton putting the team on his back and caring them when needed. I loved Spencer's determination in fighting through injury to stay on the floor. I loved Clingan battling against a talented 7 foot center and not backing down. I loved Solo getting meaningful game time experience in a tough environment. But mostly, I loved the fact that an injured and depleted team went into a very difficult place to play against a well coached team and battled back to make it a game at the end.
...... with a legit opportunity to win it in the closing seconds.

Reaction Score
Plays with a quiet confidence. As long as we have him it's all possible. With Castle we win that game.

Reaction Score
He played really well for a player that didn't get any votes for any Big East pre-season recognition, not even honorable mention.

Reaction Score
My son called and said “dad” we need to have a conversation… This is getting into Kemba territory.

For all the love we have for past superstars at UConn like Ray Allen, Kemba, Shabazz and others, we now have another player that is joining this elite group.

Also interesting is where he had this legendary performance in truly a 7 on 5 game in a crazy but good hostile atmosphere (great job KU fans.)

That was a game for Tristen for the ages… It really was…

Reaction Score
I think the whole building probably was expecting him to take it. It would have been nice to give him the opportunity to crush some souls tonight though. If AK didn't foul out it, he probably is our shooter there. Either way, Cam has also earned that right to be a hero. I trust any of those three to make a dagger.
TN should have taken the last shot. AK was terrible tonight. He looked over matched

Reaction Score
Does his play yesterday finally get the attention of scouts and get him into the draft?

Reaction Score
Again

This was nothing new, we've seen this before, although Bilas talked as if he never saw this from Newton before

And no, I'm not knocking Bilas

You can knock Bilas he’s not the same guy. He doesn’t do detailed homework you can tell, he said some things that made little sense.

Poe

Reaction Score
Newton's box scores will get all the highlights, but his highlight play was the post-skirmish rebound late in the second half where he simply out-willed everyone else on the court.

Tristen keeps getting better and better in Year 5.
That was a nasty, Jeff Adrien type play. I loved it.

He keeps up his play the rest of the season and into the tourney, his name will be up on that wall.

Reaction Score
That was one hell of a performance.
View attachment 93600
31 points 6 rebounds 2 assists.

orson welles applause GIF
I never thought he’d be so critical when he decided to return. He’s been a stud all year. Free throw shooting was an issue and Karaban buckled a bit but overall two thumbs up. Would love to see Kansas in the tourney and drop the hammer on them.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
He's one the best, full stop. He's got the record, the stats, and the right mindset. I think it's his quiet, cool demeanor that keeps him a bit below the radar. Can't wait to see what else he does this season!

Reaction Score
Does his play yesterday finally get the attention of scouts and get him into the draft?
He’s older and not explosive athletically but he is a very good rebounder and a clever player (both of those traits will translate). For him to get a shot he has to continue to shoot very well from 3. In the second round a lot of teams would still rather take a chance on someone younger though

Reaction Score
Tristen is our parachute, always there when he's needed. If he shaves his head he'll become a Round 1 NBA pick. Of course, if he keeps playing like he did last night, he'll also be a first-rounder.

Reaction Score
He’s older and not explosive athletically but he is a very good rebounder and a clever player (both of those traits will translate). For him to get a shot he has to continue to shoot very well from 3. In the second round a lot of teams would still rather take a chance on someone younger though
Never could figure out this bias towards "potential upside" of a younger player vs. drafting an established player with a known resume.'

The Knicks did this with Kevin "Bust" Knox, rather than taking the more established Miles Bridges who turned out be a good NBA player. They made the same error with other younger draft picks too.

Squid said Knox was the next Kevin Durant.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
TN should have taken the last shot. AK was terrible tonight. He looked over matched
With a few seconds left, you can’t be that choosy and although nicked up, Spencer isn’t the worst choice. Newton just wasn’t that available. Great game to watch, though and Newton was speciall.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
He is a winner with a lot of skill. I know the game has changed a lot, but Tate George was a big guard who became a late 1st rounder and Newton is worlds better. Tate was not a good shooter, but happened to make 1 shot that got him a lot of attention. Sad to think a player like Newton can’t fit some NBA roster. We shall see.

Reaction Score
He's hands down becoming one of my all time favorite Huskies. Whenever they post a build your all-time UConn team this guy has to be in that team.

He's so versatile and he's got the heart of a warrior. Never quits

Last night against Kansas there was nobody better than Newton on both sides of the court.

View attachment 93607
Tristen knows how to compete. As a Texan, he has a little football toughness in his game, in addition to his skills.

Reaction Score
He played really well for a player that didn't get any votes for any Big East pre-season recognition, not even honorable mention.
The Leauge is all about animosity toward Hurley. I had hoped after the NC that would change a little, but doesn’t appear to have changed.

Reaction Score
I look forward to watching Kolek and Newton on the court together. They’re both very crafty. It should be entertaining.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Proved to us and the entire college basketball world that he has a lot of Kemba in him. He can carry the team if necessary. He's showed it with his triple doubles. He showed it last season in the NCAA final. But he does it "quietly". I hope this game finally gives him the recognition he deserves.

Reaction Score
Newton had a legendary game. He don’t have a Lamb or D.Daniels to support and pull out the win tho

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Newton had a legendary game. He don’t have a Lamb or D.Daniels to support and pull out the win tho
Not this game because one player DNP, one fouled out, one played injured and one is still very young and not in game shape. I remember the nine losses in the BE where Kemba did not have Lamb or Daniels to help either. But they were there during the time it mattered most.

I feel Newton has more support than Kemba and hopefully it all comes together at the right time to get the result we want.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom