Tremont Waters | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Tremont Waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That last line is so crucial yet we tend to forget about it. We are coming off an absolute joke of a season; two of the last three years we have been absolutely irrelevant. We can talk about '14 natty all we want, but the kids we are going after now were in middle school when that happened. Do you think our history really matters? Not when we are going 16-17 in an awful conference and our ceiling is literally falling apart. Plus, it is obvious that there is some sort of stank around KO right now in regards to his relationships with the departed players. Those kids could not wait to get out of here even with a ton of playing time at their disposal.

The pieces are in place for us to be a solid team next year. On paper we have three very good guards, the potential for a fourth in Anderson, a very good combo forward in Larrier, and a couple of promising kids coming in. Bare minimum, we have four really good players. If KO can not get 20 wins w/ that basic nucleus, then it's time to seriously consider if he has the ability to move forward.
And if Larrier's knee is shot, and Alterique's shoulder pops out again is it still KO's fault if they don't win 20?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
And if Larrier's knee is shot, and Alterique's shoulder pops out again is it still KO's fault if they don't win 20?
Why aren't there adequate backups? KO has failed to land any resemblance of depth. After we lost 4 players to other pastures, plenty of people on this board were ecstatic solely because Chillious was hired to go get us some players. So yeah, if those 2 go down again, not good. Worse that there's no quality depth anywhere.

Reaction Score

Why aren't there adequate backups? KO has failed to land any resemblance of depth. After we lost 4 players to other pastures, plenty of people on this board were ecstatic solely because Chillious was hired to go get us some players. So yeah, if those 2 go down again, not good. Worse that there's no quality depth anywhere.

If any team loses 3 good players... any coach would struggle. At least KO went out fighting and some players stepped up. We made it to the semis of the AAC. If we had a decent ref staff calling the Cinci game we would have been in the championship game!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Because they left at the last minute. What do you want to do about it?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I give him a mulligan (mostly) for last year, but if we have another nightmare season b/c of injuries to those two guys, then yes, it is KO's fault because he wasn't able to recruit or hold onto or develop adequate replacements.

Hopefully that's not a bridge we'll have to cross.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Land some players.

Well, they got two, post defections. Hopefully 2018 will be better with Chillious fully in the fold. In the mean time, they gotta win. Chillious is the one who will have to change the narrative. He's got the experience.

EOD, they can put a vastly better product on the floor next year, as long as everyone is healthy (big if).

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Well, they got two, post defections. Hopefully 2018 will be better with Chillious fully in the fold. In the mean time, they gotta win. Chillious is the one who will have to change the narrative. He's got the experience.

EOD, they can put a vastly better product on the floor next year, as long as everyone is healthy (big if).
There won't be a 2018 unless we win now.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Because they left at the last minute. What do you want to do about it?

That's purely a bull s--- excuse.

Kids left because of the tire fire the coach created here and then kids avoided committing here because of said tire fire.

Plenty of schools helped themselves during the spring signing period. UConn didn't.

I think this season is going to be rough, but the bill for this nonsense is going to come due in a big way in 2018-2019 and beyond.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
That's purely a bull s--- excuse.

Kids left because of the tire fire the coach created here and then kids avoided committing here because of said tire fire.

Plenty of schools helped themselves during the spring signing period. UConn didn't.

I think this season is going to be rough, but the bill for this nonsense is going to come due in a big way in 2018-2019 and beyond.
The excuse in 2019 after a 18-16 season will be "look at the 2017 recruiting class. We had transfers because kids weren't 10 Toes In and now this is what happens. KO was dealt a bad hand."

Reaction Score
The excuse in 2019 after a 18-16 season will be "look at the 2017 recruiting class. We had transfers because kids weren't 10 Toes In and now this is what happens. KO was dealt a bad hand."
Many people here have no clue or don't want to admit what's going on behind the scenes. Those players left for a reason and it's not because they weren't "ten toes in" or "Uconn strong" or whatever other dopey moniker fans want to put on it.

Reaction Score
Many people here have no clue or don't want to admit what's going on behind the scenes. Those players left for a reason and it's not because they weren't "ten toes in" or "UConn strong" or whatever other dopey moniker fans want to put on it.

And even if that is the reason they left, whose fault is it for bringing in kids with questionable commitment, desire, and toughness?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
As one of the more vocal pollyannas on this board, I don't think anybody will be making excuses if we are poor in 2017/18 and 2018/19, and have a subpar recruiting class as well.

Most feel like the leash is 22 months long, at best, at this point. The chicken littles, meanwhile, seem to think that 9 months would be enough.

Reaction Score
As one of the more vocal pollyannas on this board, I don't think anybody will be making excuses if we are poor in 2017/18 and 2018/19, and have a subpar recruiting class as well.

Most feel like the leash is 22 months long, at best, at this point. The chicken littles, meanwhile, seem to think that 9 months would be enough.

I think it's 12 months to show that the perception of the program and results on the recruiting trail have turned around. 22 months for on-court results.

If we have a bad year on the court next year, but a top 10 class coming in, KO should be retained to see what he can do with them on the court.

If we have a bad year on the court next year, and top 100 recruits still won't give us the time of day, he should be gone.

Reaction Score
I think it's 12 months to show that the perception of the program and results on the recruiting trail have turned around. 22 months for on-court results.

If we have a bad year on the court next year, but a top 10 class coming in, KO should be retained to see what he can do with them on the court.

If we have a bad year on the court next year, and top 100 recruits still won't give us the time of day, he should be gone.
Yep. If we stink again this upcoming season and they aren't reeling in recruits it's time to cut the cord. Waiting 2 years is basically sacrificing 4 years of your program. 1 poor recruiting class is hard to get over, if we don't bring in a good class next season it would be 3 weak classes in a row and UConn basketball would be in the toilet for years. Ollie and Chillious have this year of on court performance and recruiting to prove themselves, they fail and it's time for change.

Reaction Score

Yes it is Ollie fault 100% . In college you need to recruit and have a plan b and a plan c. We have 248th ranked guys or the 57th juco as our plan B if someone is hurt. This is simple math. . So yes it is Ollie fault . He is the head coach and the blame rises to the top

Reaction Score
What exactly is going on behind the scene. A lot of conjecture, gossip and rumors or whatever from almost everyone from the casual to the so called insiders. I mean are there any specifics other than what I stated. I'm kinda in the middle on this partly cause in all happened so freaking fast. 2014 isn't that long ago yet seems light years away. Still hoping for KO. Another shot because I like him lots from his husky days to current times but I get it.

Reaction Score
Many people here have no clue or don't want to admit what's going on behind the scenes. Those players left for a reason and it's not because they weren't "ten toes in" or "UConn strong" or whatever other dopey moniker fans want to put on it.
"Casual" coaches?

Reaction Score
The big issue we'll see this year is that if we are good, it will be because Jalen and maybe Lerrier are so good that we have a miraculous resurgence. I really think this is possible and that a relentless Diarra will aid in that happening. A great season by Jalen and Larrier will have those guys heading for the draft. They are both getting older. That would leave us depleted terribly with little in the pipeline.

Reaction Score
What exactly is going on behind the scene. A lot of conjecture, gossip and rumors or whatever from almost everyone from the casual to the so called insiders. I mean are there any specifics other than what I stated. I'm kinda in the middle on this partly cause in all happened so freaking fast. 2014 isn't that long ago yet seems light years away. Still hoping for KO. Another shot because I like him lots from his husky days to current times but I get it.
Clearly it is nothing good and at this point I'm not sure they're just rumors or whispers.

Reaction Score

So what I've heard from two local reporters is that there is a power struggle between the Old Guard and the new guard. Ollie and Calhoun. The father and son relationship is over . Calhoun is almost never on campus anymore and is really unhappy with the way things are shaking out . Everything that took place with Miller made it 3 times worse. There's also the issue with the new ad all over Ollie and expecting quick turnaround from last season.

Reaction Score
Everyone wanting Ollie out......be careful what you wish for. If kids don't wanna come here I would think it won't be a destination for a top coach either.
When they replace him with a Tubby Smith or someone like that then I guess you guys will be happy. You guys are acting like where gonna get some kick ass replacement and I just don't see it.

Reaction Score
So what I've heard from two local reporters is that there is a power struggle between the Old Guard and the new guard. Ollie and Calhoun. The father and son relationship is over . Calhoun is almost never on campus anymore and is really unhappy with the way things are shaking out . Everything that took place with Miller made it 3 times worse. There's also the issue with the new ad all over Ollie and expecting quick turnaround from last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom