Tremont Waters (again) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tremont Waters (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't blame the kid for wanting playing time early. He is very good. It makes sense that he has that confidence in himself.

But, people will hold his height against him.

That being said, UConn is the only school I know of that has proven it can play two short PGs together and win (Napier and Boatright).
Louisville won it all with Smith and Siva and both measured out under 6'. Slightly taller than AG and Waters but pretty comparable.

C

Chief00

FIFY
Beggars can't be choosers. And if you're begging a player, who really has the upper hand?
Maybe a more politically correct choice of words (offer vs beg) but if you have noticed our recent offer success rate - I submit we are in the begging or hard sell zone now.

Beg means you may make promises you wouldn't ordinarily make and letting him know he is very special.

Reaction Score
Has there been a single poster who has suggested that UConn "turn away" Waters if he wants to commit?

If there is they're nuts. I hate the way this recruitment has gone but oh well the one's that seem to go well end bad for us too. Too good a player to think any way other than keep him home if the chance is there.

C

Chief00

Has there been a single poster who has suggested that UConn "turn away" Waters if he wants to commit?

Here's a few, just on this thread alone:
Hey I've always liked the kid from a talent perspective, I just hope that he has his head on straight and expects to earn PT. Hopefully Ollie will fully vet out him and his father if we are seriously considering add him to our team. But should everything check out, I welcome him with open arms, super talented and can only make our team that much better.

Yes, we all would like some good news at this point. And on the surface, for our currently short-handed team getting Waters to come here seems like a no-brainer great thing.

But that leads me to this question: why did Mike Krzyzewski just commit to a low 3-star guard named Jordan Goldwire when it is common knowledge he could have had Tremont Waters any time he wanted? This situation has always smelled of some combination of father and son making some sort of unrealistic demands.

After everything we just went through with Vance Jackson and his overbearing father; and seeing that Krzyzewski would never even feign interest in this kid?

Something caused him to steer totally clear of Tremont (and his father). And then for the Waters team to even bring Western Kentucky into the mix... At the very least they come off as disingenuous when they have said academics are an important part of their choice but then give even one second of interest in a school like Western Kentucky after he de-committed from Georgetown. Say what you want about the basketball team and their current turmoil at Georgetown, but academically it is considered one of the 20 to 25 best universities in America.

With all the time these coaches spend at the gyms watching these kids at these AAU tournaments over several years, they also talk with one another. A lot. Word gets around when a kid and/or his dad are demanding unrealistic things.

Obviously we would love to have the talent, but the downside here is large and could rear its ugly head very quickly.

One of the reasons why Jim Calhoun was so successful was because he was able to recruit players with the right mindset.

Based off the Courant article, Ollie appears to be realizing this as well. Waters seems talented but I would be lying if I said there doesn't appear to any red flags. That whole situation just gives me a bad vibe.

Yesterday, I took a shortcut past the new magnet school located on the UNH campus. For the first time, I noticed where Notre Dame is. I thought briefly of stopping in to ask Tremont what's going on, because I'd stopped following the lengthy thread some time before I stopped seeing it.

So here I am, reading this new thread and feeling the same way: if Tremont Waters wants to come to UConn to contribute to the Men's Basketball team and received a high quality education, I'm happy to welcome him and root for his success. If he doesn't want to come to UConn, then I wish him no ill will.

I'll check back again when the thread title changes or a new one emerges. Best wishes to all.

C

Chief00

I plan to make a couple calls and may be updating my rating soon ( days).

The good news is I am told Oz posted some time ago - after my first 55% confirmed rating that Tremont was not a recruiting priority. Oz has a pretty good batting percentage of being wrong! LOL

C

Chief00

Not one of those quoted posts call for KO to turn Waters away. Nice try though.

The more I think about it, "Functionally illiterate man elbows his way into Jim Calhoun's inner circle" is a great premise for a film.

What's your definition of red flag then?

PS - I must have pretty sharpe elbows to elbow around Calhoun and live another day LOL

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
What's your definition of red flag then?

PS - I must have pretty sharpe elbows to elbow around Calhoun and live another day LOL

You were asked, "Has there been a single poster who has suggested that UConn "turn away" Waters if he wants to commit?"

You could not provide an example of that.

I fail to see what you're missing here.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Here's a few, just on this thread alone:
I can't speak for the other three you've quoted, but I fail to see where I've suggested turning Waters away. I said I'd welcome him if he wants to come, and that I'd wish him no ill will if he didn't. I also added best wishes to all, fwiw. At least that's what I think I did.

C

Chief00

I can't speak for the other three you've quoted, but I fail to see where I've suggested turning Waters away. I said I'd welcome him if he wants to come, and that I'd wish him no ill will if he didn't. I also added best wishes to all, fwiw. At least that's what I think I did.
That's fine - I apologize if I muscharacterized your post - that sometimes happens on the BY LOL

C

Chief00

You were asked, "Has there been a single poster who has suggested that UConn "turn away" Waters if he wants to commit?"

You could not provide an example of that.

I fail to see what you're missing here.
So you advocate accepting "red flagged" dudes?
Stairmaster - enought of your sideshow - Chief needs to work the phones.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
So you advocate accepting "red flagged" dudes?
Stairmaster - enought of your sideshow - Chief needs to work the phones.

Saying a kid has "red flags" is not the same thing as saying KO should turn said kid away.

If English is not your first language and this was lost on you, I sincerely apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom