Tremont Waters (again) | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Tremont Waters (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Someone should confirm if Creighton can even sign him. Can't imagine why he'd rather go there than here though.

Reaction Score
Someone should confirm if Creighton can even sign him. Can't imagine why he'd rather go there than here though.

I've read it a 1,000 times; seems pretty cut and dry.

Student-athletes in the sports of men's basketball, women's basketball, and football are not permitted to transfer (directly or indirectly) from one BIG EAST institution and participate in any capacity in the sports of men's basketball, women's basketball, and football....There are no exceptions or waivers to this rule.

Special Notes

2. A student who signs a valid National Letter of Intent with a BIG EAST institution, and is subsequently granted a complete release to said NLI or is granted release by the NCAA Steering Committee is subject to the above mentioned transfer policy for the sport in which they signed the NLI.

I also happen to personally believe Creighton will get to the two UMass transfers since they haven't visited anywhere and were recruited by Creighton the first time, but that's just a blind guess.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools..._non_event/12-compliance-intra-conf-trans.pdf

Reaction Score
I've read it a 1,000 times; seems pretty cut and dry.

Student-athletes in the sports of men's basketball, women's basketball, and football are not permitted to transfer (directly or indirectly) from one BIG EAST institution and participate in any capacity in the sports of men's basketball, women's basketball, and football....There are no exceptions or waivers to this rule.

Special Notes

2. A student who signs a valid National Letter of Intent with a BIG EAST institution, and is subsequently granted a complete release to said NLI or is granted release by the NCAA Steering Committee is subject to the above mentioned transfer policy for the sport in which they signed the NLI.

I also happen to personally believe Creighton will get to the two UMass transfers since they haven't visited anywhere and were recruited by Creighton the first time, but that's just a blind guess.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools..._non_event/12-compliance-intra-conf-trans.pdf
Wait so can he sit out a year and then play? Or can he just not play there at all (which is the way I'm interpreting it)

Reaction Score
Wait so can he sit out a year and then play? Or can he just not play there at all (which is the way I'm interpreting it)
The way it seems to be written, he could never play basketball for a big east progr other than G'town ever.

Reaction Score
The way it seems to be written, he could never play basketball for a big east progr other than G'town ever.
Yea did a little more research by digging into it by checking the Creighton board and they really have no clue. Some think there might be a loophole and some don't. One thing a lot of people are saying is that they have to think there's a loophole because the staff can't be dumb enough to be wasting their time (which is a good point).

Reaction Score
Yea did a little more research by digging into it by checking the Creighton board and they really have no clue. Some think there might be a loophole and some don't. One thing a lot of people are saying is that they have to think there's a loophole because the staff can't be dumb enough to be wasting their time (which is a good point).

I did the same. Initially the only thing I came up with was that the note 3 in the PDF I included above -- if the NLI can be deemed "null and void." Their fan base seems pretty confident that their compliance department knows what they are doing and wouldn't be wasting time otherwise. I have no idea how an NLI would be proven null and void but that's the only way by my estimation.

Joey Tempo on Twitter

But then I found this nugget:

However, one out for Waters would be that he never enrolled at Georgetown and the Big East policy, in place since 2005, states:
As noted in each section, the above-mentioned policy is applicable to all student-athletes who have ever enrolled full-time at a BIG EAST institution…
“I’m not sure how that plays out,” Waters said. “I never set foot on campus at Georgetown.”

But this doesn't seem accurate because it completely ignores the other parts of the Big East policy which have been hashed out here at length already that he signed an NLI. Period end of story.

Source: Jordan Brand Classic: Tremont Waters testing the recruiting waters again

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why am I feeling sick again?? We need a break, something positive please. No more gut punches

Reaction Score
Regardless of if he can go to Creighton, we probably shouldn't lose a recruiting battle with Creighton

Losing or even winning with this guy has little to do with how you recruited on this one, it has more to do with other "variables". Love to get him but he's not the one I really care about winning. Obviously this weird turn of events every day makes this as strange as they get. If the staff "wins" it will be only because the chips fell their way and to me, not sure if it's worth it? What is the attitude going to be, happy enough to stay or when Duke needs someone will he be gone? This one is so weird, please get me Wilson, Daniels, Agou and Rooks (or Whaley) and I'm good!

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I must have missed that time when Jalen was our #1 option his freshman year. You know, the year people are using to compare him to Vital.

Other than that, no disrespect but I think you need to get your eyes checked.

Now there you are wrong. He certainly was the best player on the team several times during his freshman year.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Similar to how Storrs South sees it, Reading that section, it appears if the student is released from a "valid" NLI then he/she is subject to the BE transfer rule.

There must be a section regarding what is deemed a release of a valid/invalid NLI.

Admittedly I haven't looked at the policy, I'm only going on what's been posted.

Reaction Score
Similar to how Storrs South sees it, Reading that section, it appears if the student is released from a "valid" NLI then he/she is subject to the BE transfer rule.

There must be a section regarding what is deemed a release of a valid/invalid NLI.

Admittedly I haven't looked at the policy, I'm only going on what's been posted.

So are you really happy with "Hey coach Creighton can't get me in due to rules and regulations so I guess I'll become a Husky." I get he's good, but if the fact is UConn is all that's left (again I don't know) I find it hard to accept the kid and his dad as "Huskies".

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
So are you really happy with "Hey coach Creighton can't get me in due to rules and regulations so I guess I'll become a Husky." I get he's good, but if the fact is UConn is all that's left (again I don't know) I find it hard to accept the kid and his dad as "Huskies".

No I'm with ya ... The words and tenor of the whole "by default" thing has bugged me, but I'm gonna be excited when he laces em up (if he does).

Reaction Score
I don't care what it takes to get him here, I want him here and will be ecstatic if/when he comes. I'll root for whoever is putting on a UConn uniform, but the fact that he's a CT kid would make it even easier

Reaction Score
I don't care what it takes to get him here, I want him here and will be ecstatic if/when he comes. I'll root for whoever is putting on a UConn uniform, but the fact that he's a CT kid would make it even easier

Agree why not. Just a weird one no matter how it unfolds.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score

Different circumstances, but being a CT kid and dreaming of something more out of high school, I settled on UConn as my safety, a little over 10 years ago. Even tried to transfer after my first year to something in California before settling in.

Here I am today, donating to the athletic fund every quarter, purchasing season tickets for football even though I don't live in CT, making a point to attend hoops games in Bahamas and Maui and Portland the last few years. When you're in, you're in, if you have the right mindset. Just get him in and go from there

Reaction Score
Hard for a kid not to buy in after you win some hardware at the school. Win and it won't be a problem.

Reaction Score
Different circumstances, but being a CT kid and dreaming of something more out of high school, I settled on UConn as my safety, a little over 10 years ago. Even tried to transfer after my first year to something in California before settling in.

Here I am today, donating to the athletic fund every quarter, purchasing season tickets for football even though I don't live in CT, making a point to attend hoops games in Bahamas and Maui and Portland the last few years. When you're in, you're in, if you have the right mindset. Just get him in and go from there

I sort of have the opposite story in that UConn was kind of my "dream school" but then I had to settle for something else.

Ultimately it's just like any other relationship in that it doesn't really mater. You don't pick the story, the story picks you, and eventually you love it just because it's yours. It's human nature and I imagine that is amplified when you're a big time athlete who is more likely to gain the immediate adoration of your classmates. The very first time he gets into a shoving match with another player or runs out of the Gampel tunnel or walks into a celebrating locker-room he will forget about Duke and Kentucky real quick.

Weirdly, I think you actually become more attached over time to something you didn't originally want. When you get what you want right away there's no ghost to fight and nothing brings people together like a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom