OT: - Travelers Championship 2023 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Travelers Championship 2023

Reaction Score

Hopefully Rory's comments don't carry to much weight and Travelers can maintain the elevated event status. Some interesting tidbits in the article about what the future of an elevated event could look like.
I mentioned this earlier but the Travelers will be elevated again next year and beyond. Announcement within a month or so and it will remain the week following the US Open. As far as whether elevated events will have a cut or not, the Tour is working through those details now

Reaction Score
As much as we don’t want to hear it, Rory is 100% correct. Even the pros don’t want a birdie fest. The course needs to be more challenging. Certainly lengthening the course without changing the par-70 layout would be a good start. But the biggest issue is the rough. The Tour doesn’t allow the course to grow out the rough for regular Tour events. Therefore, the rough is not nearly punitive enough for the world’s best players.
Make it a par 68. Then lengthen it.

Reaction Score
There is plenty of room to toughen the course. #16 is an obvious spot. You could move the 16th green well back (over 200 yards) and to to the left. They should also shrink the green. The water almost never comes into play so you don't really lose any drama.

Fairway mounds or traps (or both) on #2. This hole is way too easy. It is defenseless at this point. A tougher second shot would be appropriate.

Make #11 a two tiered green.

A real golf designer could make minor adjustments on 4-6 holes and make this a much sterner test.

Reaction Score
There is plenty of room to toughen the course. #16 is an obvious spot. You could move the 16th green well back (over 200 yards) and to to the left. They should also shrink the green. The water almost never comes into play so you don't really lose any drama.

Fairway mounds or traps (or both) on #2. This hole is way too easy. It is defenseless at this point. A tougher second shot would be appropriate.

Make #11 a two tiered green.

A real golf designer could make minor adjustments on 4-6 holes and make this a much sterner test.
Pete Dye wasn’t a real golf designer?

Reaction Score
He's dead. Could you miss the point more completely?
Not to mention the fact that his original design has been modified multiple times already. The original design was a DISASTER and one of the least favorite courses on tour.

Reaction Score
Obviously rain, soft courses assist these guys tremendously. They are playing darts again in Detroit at the Rocket Mortgage and the scores are even better than last week. Multiple players at -20 to -17 heading into the final day. 4 inches of rain the week heading in to this one left the courses defenses down like Cromwell.

I like Rory but he needs to be a little more careful with his frustrations after losing by 6 then proclaiming the course to be easy!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Obviously rain, soft courses assist these guys tremendously. They are playing darts again in Detroit at the Rocket Mortgage and the scores are even better than last week. Multiple players at -20 to -17 heading into the final day. 4 inches of rain the week heading in to this one left the courses defenses down like Cromwell.

I like Rory but he needs to be a little more careful with his frustrations after losing by 6 then proclaiming the course to be easy!

I was just going to male this comment.
Detroit CC is over 7300 yards and a Par 72. It's a non-elevated event meaning overall talent inbthe field is less than Travelers.

Screenshot_20230702-170201_Chrome.jpg

Reaction Score
I was just going to male this comment.
Detroit CC is over 7300 yards and a Par 72. It's a non-elevated event meaning overall talent inbthe field is less than Travelers.

View attachment 89398
Different argument. Hadwin tied a course record with a 63 yesterday. Our course record is a 58. Two players shot 60 last week. Our course is too short and too easy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Different argument. Hadwin tied a course record with a 63 yesterday. Our course record is a 58. Two players shot 60 last week. Our course is too short and too easy.

I agree TPC needs to get tougher. But it's far from the only clurse getting torn up.
A 63 on a Par 72 is -9. A 60 on a Par 70 is -10.

Detroit is a 72 and 500 yards longerd than River Highlands.

Reaction Score
I agree TPC needs to get tougher. But it's far from the only clurse getting torn up.
A 63 on a Par 72 is -9. A 60 on a Par 70 is -10.

Detroit is a 72 and 500 yards longerd than River Highlands.
I think we’re on the same page. The difference between TPC River Highlands and every other course is Travelers is my local tournament. I used to cheer for guys with local connections like Ken Green, Jerry Kelly, Tim Petrovic, Pat Sheehan, Jay Williamson, JJ Henry, etc. Since there aren’t too many current PGA players with local ties, I cheer for the course. It’s rare nowadays that the course wins.

Reaction Score
I mentioned this earlier but the Travelers will be elevated again next year and beyond. Announcement within a month or so and it will remain the week following the US Open. As far as whether elevated events will have a cut or not, the Tour is working through those details now
Just saw it confirmed by the Tour schedule. Calling it one of the now "signature events" No cut. Jack's event week before the U.S. Open.

Reaction Score
Just saw it confirmed by the Tour schedule. Calling it one of the now "signature events" No cut. Jack's event week before the U.S. Open.
I heard this was coming back when I posted this from hints they were dropping at work from a few of the people that run the tournament. It’s going to remain a signature event for a while - love it!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom