Travel to Turkey to Cheer on Geno Auriemma & USA Basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Travel to Turkey to Cheer on Geno Auriemma & USA Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Don't know why you were discouraged from taking buses in Turkey except for the obvious; the time it takes to get to Ankara is much longer, agreed & so stipulated.

The favored form of local transportation within in most Turkish cities is the Dolmus which is a small bus running fixed routes for very little money.

If someone does decide to go to Cappadocia from Ankara, the best way is to take a tour bus from Ankara.

BTW I continue to be amazed how very few Americans go to see Cappadocia. Many more Europeans visit; hardly any Americans. Without a doubt it is truly a spectacular place.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The high-speed train between Istanbul and Ankara (3 hr-trip) will reportedly be running soon. . . though it's been delayed by sabotage events.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Don't know why you were discouraged from taking buses in Turkey except for the obvious; the time it takes to get to Ankara is much longer, agreed & so stipulated.

The favored form of local transportation within in most Turkish cities is the Dolmus which is a small bus running fixed routes for very little money.

If someone does decide to go to Cappadocia from Ankara, the best way is to take a tour bus from Ankara.

BTW I continue to be amazed how very few Americans go to see Cappadocia. Many more Europeans visit; hardly any Americans. Without a doubt it is truly a spectacular place.
It was entirely the time issue from anywhere in Turkey to Ankara - but Ankara is close enough to bus it to Cappadocia. We flew from Istanbul and it was inexpensive (Turkish Air) and fast. Totally in agreement about visiting Cappadocia. We did an early morning balloon flight and it was one of the most amazing things I've ever done.

Those who do go to Turkey and have an extra few days should fly down the coast past Izmir to Kusadasi. Most tourists there visit Ephesus and Mary's homestead but miss out on the arguably better and totally deserted ruins nearby in Miletus, Didyma and Priene.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The high-speed train between Istanbul and Ankara (3 hr-trip) will reportedly be running soon. . . though it's been delayed by sabotage events.
I'm hoping for no sabotage when WE are on the trains. Or planes. Or buses. Or taxis.

CTyankee

Reaction Score
We plan on flying from Ataturk to Bodrum before the finals to see Miletus, Didyma and Priene.

Another place to see, time permitting, is Pamukkale located in Denizli province.

And in Istanbul, the Dolmabahce Palace which has been maintained with all furnishings since the Ottomans were thrown out in 1923. Topkapi is wonderful but empty of all furnishings.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
We plan on flying from Ataturk to Bodrum before the finals to see Miletus, Didyma and Priene.

Another place to see, time permitting, is Pamukkale located in Denizli province.

And in Istanbul, the Dolmabahce Palace which has been maintained with all furnishings since the Ottomans were thrown out in 1923. Topkapi is wonderful but empty of all furnishings.
When I return I'll have to check out Pamukkale! Topkapi was beautiful even without furnishings. You will really enjoy the other ruins. Prienne is an amazing example of a city from ancient times with enough ruins in place to see how it really was. Miletus has an incredible example of a roman bath - the floor tiles are still there under a tarp. The Temple of Apollo at Didyma is one of the most complete anywhere remaining. One of the best things about those ruins is that you can climb all over them and sit in the seats in the government "room", lie on the sacrificial podium etc. and no one will be there to yell at you.

Last edited:

CTyankee

Reaction Score
The tickets for the finals are now on sale... Best seats in a 3 day combo package are TL360 ea = $180, still available.

Reaction Score
My favorite Turkish quote:

"If I had my life to live again, Jeeves, I would start it as an orphan without any aunts. Don't they put aunts in sacks in Turkey and drop them in the Bosphorus?"
"Odalisques, sir, I understand. Not aunts."

(From The Code of the Woosters)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Bought my tickets to Istanbul the other day. Really looking forward to hanging with Milford and any other UCONN fans who make the trek. Also really looking forward to seeing Nurse in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom