Transfer Thread Pt 2..... | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Transfer Thread Pt 2.....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I was reviewing a couple of postings on the transfer rule yesterday-Raoul and on AL.com which were not clear when the rule change would be effective. AL.com noted something about August 1, 2019 effective date which is applicable for an Atlantic 10 proposal that all graduate transfers scholarships would have to apply for 2 years, unless the degree was earned prior to the start of the 2nd year's fall semester. In effect, any grad transfer scholarships would be for 2 years, not 1 even though the player may only be eligible for 1 year (unless they earned the graduate degree in 1 year). However no mention of the general rule of undergrad transfers might be implemented.

I must say knowing how legislation works in the NCAA, I could see the general transfer rules passing but NOT being implemented this year to allow schools to assess their policy and procedures on how to communicate to all the coaches/programs within their Athletic Departments and how to set up an infrastructure to improve communications with existing and prospective transfer athletes. In effect, the schools and the NCAA may want to assess if the "flood gates" would be opened and how to handle the potential deluge of activity...
I just think waiting a year opens up the NCAA to potential law suits. If the NCAA tips its hand now it provides a clear path to court for a player to show "impact"-i.e. I wanted to transfer (and not sit) last year and the NCAA said no. That's why I'm guessing all or nothing= no time between announcement & implementation.

Reaction Score
I am curious what will be decided about the transfer rule. I see both sides of the coin with respect to the students shouldn't be penalized if the coaches can leave whenever. The graduate transfer rule has exploded the past several years. Schools may not like it but I think it's the price paid for getting the athletes on campus and in classes as soon as possible. I graduated high school with a football player who played at another SEC program (one much better than MSU) and then played for the Steelers. I remember he left for that campus for the 2nd summer term after we graduated in May. Now players get to a campus as soon as they can after graduation. It's good to get them accustomed to a schedule but a year round class load combined with summer school and any transferable credits before finishing high school means a lot of good students are getting degrees and want to move on.

I do believe if you sign a LOI and if there is a coaching change before enrollment then an athlete should be released without penalty if desired. I don't see a huge problem with sitting out a year as long as it doesn't eat into the 4 years of eligibility window and it shouldn't matter if it's in conference or not.

Reaction Score
I think this transfer thing is getting ridiculous. Let's just declare all players free agents at the end of every season and then they can just go where ever they want when ever they want for any reason or no reason. It's basically where we are heading.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think this transfer thing is getting ridiculous. Let's just declare all players free agents at the end of every season and then they can just go where ever they want when ever they want for any reason or no reason. It's basically where we are heading.
Well, yes and no! I know you are basically dramatizing your frustration but the major issue with the NCAA is it's lack of consistency in the transfer rules mostly regarding the two revenue sports-Football and Men's Basketball. The big money, booster money, agent money and sponsor money are all potential disasters for the "amateurism" that is supposed to occur but is already running rampant in these two sports.

I think the NCAA sanctions 40 sports and the vast majority do not have any or very limited regulations on transfers. The effort this working group is trying to do is ensure integrity on the financial aid obligations for both the school and the athlete to avoid "non-student" athletes from "gaming/scamming" the system and making a mockery of higher education. Hence the 3.0 GPA to be allowed to play at a new school without missing/sitting out a season.

There has to be consistency to the rules and to the general student population (students regularly transfer freely and significantly more often than athletes do).

Virtually all of these student-athletes will NOT be going professional so the education component and participation aspect are two of the main factors the committee is trying to address before a lawsuit dictates its ruling on them.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well, yes and no! I know you are basically dramatizing your frustration but the major issue with the NCAA is it's lack of consistency in the transfer rules mostly regarding the two revenue sports-Football and Men's Basketball. The big money, booster money, agent money and sponsor money are all potential disasters for the "amateurism" that is supposed to occur but is already running rampant in these two sports.

I think the NCAA sanctions 40 sports and the vast majority do not have any or very limited regulations on transfers. The effort this working group is trying to do is ensure integrity on the financial aid obligations for both the school and the athlete to avoid "non-student" athletes from "gaming/scamming" the system and making a mockery of higher education. Hence the 3.0 GPA to be allowed to play at a new school without missing/sitting out a season.

There has to be consistency to the rules and to the general student population (students regularly transfer freely and significantly more often than athletes do).

Virtually all of these student-athletes will NOT be going professional so the education component and participation aspect are two of the main factors the committee is trying to address before a lawsuit dictates its ruling on them.
There are a couple of widely held misconceptions in your post. The largest of which is that transfer rates regarding football which is very low.
upload_2018-4-18_18-7-40.png

Transfer Rate Averages and Trends
A second widely held misconception is the transfer rates of scholarship athletes versus non-athletes.
"A 2015 report by the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center found that more than a third of college students transfer and that nearly half of those do it more than once."

That second transfer which is very rare for athletes is the key to understanding the differences in transfer rates between athletes and non-athletes.
Athletic transfers, although very well publicized, amounts to much to do about nothing when you look at the bigger picture or institution's view. A state school like UCONN with an undergraduate enrolment of ~ 20, 000 has to worry about 6,600 of those students transferring before graduation. UCONN competes in 20 sports and has a total of 719 student athletes: 348 men and 371 women on a yearly basis. Of UCONN 719 student Athletes only 140 are on fully endowed scholarships divided evenly between men and women as required by Title IX. So while UCONN has to worry about thousands of kids transferring in and out each year across all sports UCONN can anticipate ~10 transfers that is due solely to athletics.

One last misconception regarding revenue generating sports vs nonrevenue sports or men vs women. Historically the trend is that the men were transferring at a higher rate that women. That trend reversed itself in 2015 and Women are now transferring at a higher rate than men from 4 year institutions to other 4 year institutions when averaged across all sports. Don't know what to make of this particular trend but revenue generating sports does not seem to be an explanation.

This link contains some interesting transfer trends including all the ones mentioned above.
Transfer Rate Averages and Trends

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Coco, I think you need to reread my post as I didn’t reference any transfer rates for football or basketball. What I said was the NCAA has transfer restrictions due to football and men’s basketball, over worry of abuse of practice. I did note that on the whole, athletes transfer less than the student body. And some of this lower transfer rate is due to restrictions (however slight for other sports they might be). The transfer rules are not the same for all the NCAA sports and that is also a problem so the whole effort is to see if consistency could occur before it is forced upon them.

Reaction Score
Cbus said, "In fact, Linnae Harper had more steals this season (77) than Calhoun in her entire career (67). But I should be fair"
Im a Husky fan all the way. But you are not showing the entire picture I could easly say In fact Sierra Calhoun had more blocks this season (17) than Harper had in her entire career (10) .Harper had to do alot of reaching to stay on the floor at her size.

Reaction Score
Cbus13 Said But she was extremely inconsistent shooter and didn't always make the best choice
Im not sure you guys know what a inconsistent shooter is .Im fond of Kaela Davis but if you compare the two in shooting Kaela hit 59 threes her last year in college for 35.1 Calhoun hit 77 threes her junior year for 35.8 percent.
The year before that Davis at georgia tech where the plays went to her she hit 68 threes for 28 percent .Calhoun Hit 68 threes her sophmore year at 38.8 percent those numbers by Calhoun dont reflect a inconsistent shooter. My Friend

Last edited:

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Cbus said, "In fact, Linnae Harper had more steals this season (77) than Calhoun in her entire career (67). But I should be fair"
Im a Husky fan all the way. But you are not showing the entire picture I could easly say In fact Sierra Calhoun had more blocks this season (17) than Harper had in her entire career (10) .Harper had to do alot of reaching to stay on the floor at her size.

That is true, but I also was talking about the style of defense Ohio State played which was pressure defense from the guards to force steals and turnovers for fastbreaks. Sierra Calhoun is a 6'0" guard and Linnae Harper is a 5'8" guard who played more in the paint. So Harper getting blocks was more unlikely since she was going up against players at least 5 inches taller than her on a regular basis.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That is true, but I also was talking about the style of defense Ohio State played which was pressure defense from the guards to force steals and turnovers for fastbreaks. Sierra Calhoun is a 6'0" guard and Linnae Harper is a 5'8" guard who played more in the paint. So Harper getting blocks was more unlikely since she was going up against players at least 5 inches taller than her on a regular basis.
You just used tOSU and defense in the same sentence!
skip.gif

Reaction Score

Harper was also a more willing rebounder! You would think Calhoun at that height would be the better rebounder. It's already amazing that Gabby Williams at 5'11" could rebound and hold her own defensively agaisnt 6'4" and 6'5" post players but I think it's incredible how Harper at only 5'8" also held her own down low and averaged over 7 rpg. For someone her size that's pretty remarkable!

Reaction Score
Harper was also a more willing rebounder! You would think Calhoun at that height would be the better rebounder. It's already amazing that Gabby Williams at 5'11" could rebound and hold her own defensively agaisnt 6'4" and 6'5" post players but I think it's incredible how Harper at only 5'8" also held her own down low and averaged over 7 rpg. For someone her size that's pretty remarkable!
I was very impressed with Harper ability to rebound at her size in college !!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Heard of several recent transfers. Don't have tweets or other links to verify. Fr. Kierra Collier departing Washington. 2 freshmen leaving Oregon--Anneli Maley (reportedly already decided to go to TCU) and Aina Ayuso, reportedly turning pro (obviously not eligible for the WNBA yet). Oregon St. fans are convinced there is about to be a mass exodus at UO. That would be 3 leaving already since the season ended and they are expecting several more. But their core looks to remain intact so they should be fine next season.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Heard of several recent transfers. Don't have tweets or other links to verify. Fr. Kierra Collier departing Washington. 2 freshmen leaving Oregon--Anneli Maley (reportedly already decided to go to TCU) and Aina Ayuso, reportedly turning pro (obviously not eligible for the WNBA yet). Oregon St. fans are convinced there is about to be a mass exodus at UO. That would be 3 leaving already since the season ended and they are expecting several more. But their core looks to remain intact so they should be fine next season.
I don't understand. I thought Oregon was riding high and on it's way to attracting more highly ranked recruits. I'm surprised Oregon is losing recruits that includes two freshmen. They must have one heck of a class coming in.

Reaction Score
I don't understand. I thought Oregon was riding high and on it's way to attracting more highly ranked recruits. I'm surprised Oregon is losing recruits that includes two freshmen. They must have one heck of a class coming in.

They graduate just 2 players, only 1 of whom played significant minutes (Bando). They have 29 min per game to replace. They add 4 players (1 transfer, 1 injured, 2 frosh), most notably Boley, but also Sabally's sister, giving them a roster of 14. If a frosh didn't play much this year, she's not likely gonna play much next year either. The transfers push the roster back to a more manageable 12.

Reaction Score

Baylor returns 8 and adds a super class of 5. Seems awfully crowded for a grad transfer.
Morris (So) - Landrum (Jr) - Chou (Jr) - Cox (Jr) - Brown (Sr) are leading contenders to start; Richards (So) played 18 mpg
Top 5 Frosh DeCosta, Scott-Grayson, and Smith will likely get significant minutes

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
They graduate just 2 players, only 1 of whom played significant minutes (Bando). They have 29 min per game to replace. They add 4 players (1 transfer, 1 injured, 2 frosh), most notably Boley, but also Sabally's sister, giving them a roster of 14. If a frosh didn't play much this year, she's not likely gonna play much next year either. The transfers push the roster back to a more manageable 12.
Thanks vowelguy. I knew about Sabally's sister. I read a comment stating that more players would be leaving Oregon. I see they will have plenty of players.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Baylor returns 8 and adds a super class of 5. Seems awfully crowded for a grad transfer.
Morris (So) - Landrum (Jr) - Chou (Jr) - Cox (Jr) - Brown (Sr) are leading contenders to start; Richards (So) played 18 mpg
Top 5 Frosh DeCosta, Scott-Grayson, and Smith will likely get significant minutes
No upperclassmen guards; and, only one senior in Kalani Brown. I can see Chloe Jackson filling those voids.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
LOL. Raoul says he's "hearing" Jackson is visiting Baylor.

Translator: he read it on the Baylor message board.

Jackson is a good player/scorer but she doesn't space the floor like Wallace did and like you'd want to do with Cox and Brown occupying the lane. Jackson is a 27% 3FG shooter and made 26 threes last season. Then again, how many experienced and good 3-point shooters are out there and eligible to play next season?

Reaction Score
LOL. Raoul says he's "hearing" Jackson is visiting Baylor.

Translator: he read it on the Baylor message board.

Jackson is a good player/scorer but she doesn't space the floor like Wallace did and like you'd want to do with Cox and Brown occupying the lane. Jackson is a 27% 3FG shooter and made 26 threes last season. Then again, how many experienced and good 3-point shooters are out there and eligible to play next season?
Sierra Calhoun is available for a final four run, Calhoun hit 77 threes for 36 percent last season and 68 threes her sophomore year 39 percent ;)

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score

This goes along with what I was told about Jackson. She wanted to attend a Final Four in her senior campaign. I also heard the same scoop on Sierra Calhoun so look for her to head to a high caliber team as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom