Transfer Portal | Page 63 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does your friend have a connection to the program to say Karaban doesn’t have the strength yet or is he assuming because Alex is a freshman?
No, just his personal opinion from watching his HS games online. He likes his list height/weight, just doesn't think he's ready to handle the physicality of the Big East.

Personally, I think that's overblown: it's not like every player in the Big East is Dylan Addae-Wus.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm not about to claim that anything is an absolute but one thing fans of the program need to accept is that all kids don't mature physically at the same rate. There are 17 year olds who can pass for 20 and there are 20 year olds who can pass for 17.

There is the possibility that Karaban may have everything but the physical maturity to be a major contributor next season. I am not saying that this is the case, just that it may be the case. If the staff is not prepared for this possibility, there will be problems with the team's performance next season. If the fan base is not prepared for this possibility, many will jump to erroneous conclusions along the lines of "Hurley can't identify talent", "the kid is a bust" or "the staff failed him". Each of those conclusions will be dead wrong.

Reaction Score
I don't know where this Karaban narrative suggesting a lack of physical maturity has originated or why it has legs. He has a long history of having enough strength to battle much bigger guys to a standstill in the post. It is true he will naturally get stronger and stronger as he ages, and he is not a behemoth to handle Sanogo or Cockburn, or maybe even Dixon, but, he is no slouch and can easily match the Freemantle players of the college world right now, or even a couple years ago. Offhand, I can only think of centers he might be overpowered by, no 4's are coming to mind. The issue at the 4 might be the real athletic guys like Johnson. Karaban isn't going to ever match that athleticism, he is going to need to defeat those matchups with smarts. Any time Karaban spends on the bench next season will be because of another player's excellent play, not Karaban's lack of game or physical maturity.

As an aside, consider our end of game offensive possessions trying to hold a 5pt lead in the last minute. We know Karaban is a great foul shooter, (30/30 PeachJam). In end of game situations we now have Newton at 87.9% on the second most FTA's in the country, Alleyne proven at 85.2%, Hawkins at 82.1% (if he can be trusted not to turn it over), and Jackson at 71.4%. That should be clutch foul shooting and ball handling a la Nova this year. I'm probably the only one on the board projecting Karaban on the court at the 5 over the last 2 minutes of such a game with the lead in an offensive/defensive substitution with Sanogo.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I don't know where this Karaban narrative suggesting a lack of physical maturity has originated or why it has legs. He has a long history of having enough strength to battle much bigger guys to a standstill in the post. It is true he will naturally get stronger and stronger as he ages, and he is not a behemoth to handle Sanogo or Cockburn, or maybe even Dixon, but, he is no slouch and can easily match the Freemantle players of the college world right now, or even a couple years ago. Offhand, I can only think of centers he might be overpowered by, no 4's are coming to mind. The issue at the 4 might be the real athletic guys like Johnson. Karaban isn't going to ever match that athleticism, he is going to need to defeat those matchups with smarts. Any time Karaban spends on the bench next season will be because of another player's excellent play, not Karaban's lack of game or physical maturity.

As an aside, consider our end of game offensive possessions trying to hold a 5pt lead in the last minute. We know Karaban is a great foul shooter, (30/30 PeachJam). In end of game situations we now have Newton at 87.9% on the second most FTA's in the country, Alleyne proven at 85.2%, Hawkins at 82.1% (if he can be trusted not to turn it over), and Jackson at 71.4%. That should be clutch foul shooting and ball handling a la Nova this year. I'm probably the only one on the board projecting Karaban on the court at the 5 over the last 2 minutes of such a game with the lead in an offensive/defensive substitution with Sanogo.
Can't wait until you prove right!

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score

wasnt expecting an intra-aac transfer. idk how recruits keep falling for penny's sales pitch.
Couldn’t agree more. A transfer of Landers Nolley’s caliber should’ve been focusing on his pro career right now much like Tyrese Martin is. Instead he’s back in the transfer portal iirc.

Reaction Score

wasnt expecting an intra-aac transfer. idk how recruits keep falling for penny's sales pitch.

I believe you mean $ale$ pitch.

They know exactly what they're getting from Penny. A crappy coach and some pocket change. Now that NIL is blowing up, I his appeal is diminishing

Reaction Score

Am I missing something here. Why is Max still at Oral Roberts? Is this the next portal news to drop? SDSU is an overwhelming fav in the Summit next year.

This is a potential portal dweller that could REALLY put a team over the top. I would buy this NIL stock low. It could blow up!

Man I hate this! :(

Reaction Score
No, just his personal opinion from watching his HS games online. He likes his list height/weight, just doesn't think he's ready to handle the physicality of the Big East.

Personally, I think that's overblown: it's not like every player in the Big East is Dylan Addae-Wus.

Dude, how the ____ do you know this many college basketball players? I’m taking your word for it that Dylan Addie-Wus is a real person. I mean this without snark: I genuinely appreciate the info in your posts and learn something about college basketball with every one.

Reaction Score
Dude, how the ____ do you know this many college basketball players? I’m taking your word for it that Dylan Addie-Wus is a real person. I mean this without snark: I genuinely appreciate the info in your posts and learn something about college basketball with every one.
smh what a casual fan

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
This is even funnier when you realize he didn’t spell Addae-Wusu correctly. He plays for St John’s.

Reaction Score
Thanks man.

I just love college basketball and within the sport, a lot of my attention is spent on a variety of teams/conferences.

Outside of the Big East, I don't watch a lot of high-major basketball, outside a few teams I like to follow each year or certain matchups I'm really excited about.

One of those teams, Virginia, added a big time transfer yesterday: Ohio's Ben Vander Plas: a 6'8 232 skilled and tough forward who averaged 14.3p, 6.8r, 3.1a, 1.8s, 45.7 fg%, 33.8 3p% last year.

With Jayden Gardner (15.3 ppg) and Kihei Clark (10p, 4.4a) returning for their fifth year, Virginia returns their starting lineup, a top-100 recruit from '21, brings in a four-man '22 class that features three top-70 recruits and adds Vander Plas.

After a 21-14 "rebuilding year", Virginia will be a team to watch in 22-23.

Reaction Score

We talk about playing time. Pack went into the portal from Kansas State, picked Miami, and by a fortuitous coincidence, has already signed a 2 year $400,000 per year deal + car with Life Wallet and is working on others. When a player of this average stature commands money like this, the 'arms' race clearly now has left the cash in a paper bag, or previous sneaker level payments. Tough to be a coach only offering playing time and improvement. Who even needs to get to the league. Just stretch out college as long as you can. Man has the landscape changed. NIL deals can't be used to entice a player to your team. Sure. (sarcasm if not obvious) Also has to be a death blow to Overtime Elite if going to college is now defacto the pro's with a much broader market for your services.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score

We talk about playing time. Pack went into the portal from Kansas State, picked Miami, and by a fortuitous coincidence, has already signed a 2 year $400,000 per year deal + car with Life Wallet and is working on others. When a player of this average stature commands money like this, the 'arms' race clearly now has left the cash in a paper bag, or previous sneaker level payments. Tough to be a coach only offering playing time and improvement. Who even needs to get to the league. Just stretch out college as long as you can. Man has the landscape changed. NIL deals can't be used to entice a player to your team. Sure. (sarcasm if not obvious) Also has to be a death blow to Overtime Elite if going to college is now defacto the pro's with a much broader market for your services.
Amateur athletics now stops at the high school level.

Reaction Score

I agree with the overall point, but Nijel Pack was one of the top 4 or 5 transfers available

Reaction Score

This couldn’t make less sense to me if it was a playing time thing. We have 20-25 mpg easy for him right now.

Reaction Score

This couldn’t make less sense to me if it was a playing time thing. We have 20-25 mpg easy for him right now.

Will you finally stop repeating this once we get castle to reclass and the rest of the roster is filled out? If Floyd was getting up to 25 mpg here next year we weren’t gonna be any good.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Please help. Just who has left the team via transfer since September 2021. I know we lost 4 to graduation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom