Transfer portal - outbound | Page 46 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal - outbound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He made national news because they chose to run with Putterman's negative slant. Its becoming a pattern imo. The negative national publicity our play not withstanding is not coming from the other writers covering the program. Its got to the point were other writers are having the need to provide context.
I do agree Putterman is a net negative covering this program. Even agreeing with others on Twitter that say the program should be shutdown. But if Randy doesn't realize this guy is not doing him any favors, that is on him as well.

Reaction Score
This is now the second issue you've decided to escalate into a back and forth rant in the past couple weeks. As Exit 4 already stated, Edsall was most likely not pointing at any specific player, and especially not DJ Morgan. He was speaking generally, broadly, not indicting specific individuals.

Yet Edsall seemed to be saying, fairly clearly, that he was not interested in pursuing any players who entered the transfer portal. Preferring to concentrate on junior college and high school players. That seems an indictment on all players who decide to transfer, for whatever reason. (Evidently Edsall thinks there are only two reasons, enabled or entitled). While you may like to think he was not pointing to specific players, he didn’t seem to make any effort to state that position. Nor did he mention that there might be exceptions to his enabled or entitled characterization.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yet Edsall seemed to be saying, fairly clearly, that he was not interested in pursuing any players who entered the transfer portal. Preferring to concentrate on junior college and high school players. That seems an indictment on all players who decide to transfer, for whatever reason. (Evidently Edsall thinks there are only two reasons, enabled or entitled). While you may like to think he was not pointing to specific players, he didn’t seem to make any effort to state that position. Nor did he mention that there might be exceptions to his enabled or entitled characterization.
Is he running for election or a football coach? Yeah, he could have been more careful with his wording, but why is the world reading into his quotes as if he’s a candidate for the Supreme Court?

Reaction Score

You should go away. Trying to turn dumb coachspeak into something that has some tie to the Notre DAme program is beyond stupid.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Is he running for election or a football coach? Yeah, he could have been more careful with his wording, but why is the world reading into his quotes as if he’s a candidate for the Supreme Court?

Who cares why or whether it’s fair? It’s his job to adapt to the reality of the world around him.

Reaction Score
Exit4, you don't think that the same guy who refuses to address Independence and the schedule should know better than to make such a profoundly stupid statement? He is getting skewered for this and rightly so. Try being less stupid coach.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Exit4, you don't think that the same guy who refuses to address Independence and the schedule should know better than to make such a profoundly stupid statement? He is getting skewered for this and rightly so. Try being less stupid coach.

I just don’t see it as such a big deal. Obviously many disagree.

And yeah, I don’t understand why he wouldn’t say two sentences on independent football and the 2020 schedule. He obviously discusses it with recruits, so give the media the same pitch.

I’m certainly not going to defend everything he does. I was 50/50 on regime change that first week of December. Thing is, here we are, the AD has been crystal clear that Randy gets five years and so we must press on.

I have a hard time trashing the HC while cheering for the kids and the recruits. I don’t think you can do both simultaneously via public forums.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just don’t see it as such a big deal. Obviously many disagree.

And yeah, I don’t understand why he wouldn’t say two sentences on independent football and the 2020 schedule. He obviously discusses it with recruits, so give the media the same pitch.

I’m certainly not going to defend everything he does. I was 50/50 on regime change that first week of December. Thing is, here we are, the AD has been crystal clear that Randy gets five years and so we must press on.

I have a hard time trashing the HC while cheering for the kids and the recruits. I don’t think you can do both simultaneously via public forums.
You shouldn't be able to do both, but he sure tries to make it easy.

Reaction Score

He’s a coach looking to get good players to come to UConn. I guess Jalen Hurts and Justin Fields would not have met Edsall’s tough standards. Alienating potential recruits seems counterproductive to the goal of improving the performance of the football team.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
He’s a coach looking to get good players to come to UConn. I guess Jalen Hurts and Justin Fields would not have met Edsall’s tough standards. Alienating potential recruits seems counterproductive to the goal of improving the performance of the football team.
Are you so foolish to not realize Hurts and Fields are never returning our phone call?

what he did was alienate guys we were never getting. Edsall likes jucos, that’s where he will be.

Reaction Score
UConn has never gotten a player of their caliber. Don't be stupid. The closest they got ranking wise to such a player was Zach Frazer, who never really lived up to the hype but led UConn effectively.

PWS

Reaction Score
Mcallister for UMass appeared to have a good year. Thats it. No one else is killing it.
Mcallister for UMass appeared to have a good year. Thats it. No one else is killing it.

Can you read? I have twice made the point that I am not talking about former UConn players "killing it" None of them have actually killed and I don't expect any of the current 25 to kill, though some may be decent players. I am talking about all the potential incoming players who could be killing it at UConn. The same 1,000 or so player who Edsall seems to think he can do without. Edsall should be taking any good player wherever it comes from. Heaven knows, we have enough players who can't play at this level. It is basically the same point you made later - we are in agreement.

Reaction Score
You should go away. Trying to turn dumb coachspeak into something that has some tie to the Notre DAme program is beyond stupid.

Silly me. I thought D.J. Morgan was a transfer from Notre Dame. And the thought that Edsall’s negative comments about the quality of players looking to transfer coming shortly after Morgan’s transfer seemed a shot at Morgan and any other recent transfer to UConn. How would Edsall’s comments not be a reflection on Morgan and the other recent transfers into the UConn program.

Reaction Score
Silly me. I thought D.J. Morgan was a transfer from Notre Dame. And the thought that Edsall’s negative comments about the quality of players looking to transfer coming shortly after Morgan’s transfer seemed a shot at Morgan and any other recent transfer to UConn. How would Edsall’s comments not be a reflection on Morgan and the other recent transfers into the UConn program.

now you’re just lying. Shortly after? Really?
My guess is DJ can defend himself.

what we’re all seeing is that these kids really are entitled. Who else takes the free stuff they got ( let’s ballpark it at 100k per year) and then Trashes the program. How about they give the money I paid back and then whine on SM

Reaction Score
Are you so foolish to not realize Hurts and Fields are never returning our phone call?

what he did was alienate guys we were never getting. Edsall likes jucos, that’s where he will be.

there are a lot of good players in the transfer portal. Interesting that Edsall wants to build on jucos versus players that were playing at FBS and FCS schools. Did you think about why those players were on juco teams and not on FCS and FBS teams?

Reaction Score
Bottom line, UConn is a development program. UConn is going to be more successful recruiting, projecting, and developing high school players than we are going to be filling up the team with transfers that have proven they can not start for another school and mostly have 1 season to play. Edsall has the history of taking the likes of Kendall Reyes from a 6'4", 220 lb. linebacker and developing him into a 6'4", 300 lb. DT over 5 years.

Reaction Score
UConn has never gotten a player of their caliber. Don't be stupid. The closest they got ranking wise to such a player was Zach Frazer, who never really lived up to the hype but led UConn effectively.

why would Edsall even be interested in players like Hurts or Fields. They were clearly either entitled or enabled.

Reaction Score
why would Edsall even be interested in players like Hurts or Fields. They were clearly either entitled or enabled.

I go to bed every night telling myself Penelope Cruz is too entitled and enabled for me. It helps.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Here is a little more from last night:

1. I was busy all day and did not know all of Edsall's comments regarding transfer portal until he got up and spoke about it.
2. RE stated the vibe in the program is very different than the narrative outside the program. He had the other coaches get up and speak about the commitment of the team. As you can expect, he could careless about the vibe.
3. RE spoke of relationships with high school coaches that go back as far as his days at Cuse and BC that helped them get some of the kids that are coming. My take: those coaches know RE and don't care what the outside noise is.
4. RE put a caviat on the QB position regarding the transfer portal because there can be one starter and if you don't win or fit, you would sit.
5. RE did say some kids in the portal can't come because of not getting into the grad school or the academic restrictions do not allow them to transfer due to grades.
6. RE feels he can better manage a roster as a developmental program and getting kids bought in over the long haul than filling a roster with the transfer portal.

Reaction Score
Players of their caliber don't transfer from Alabama and Georgia to UConn. That's just facts.

Reaction Score
now you’re just lying. Shortly after? Really?
My guess is DJ can defend himself.

what we’re all seeing is that these kids really are entitled. Who else takes the free stuff they got ( let’s ballpark it at 100k per year) and then Trashes the program. How about they give the money I paid back and then whine on SM

my guess is that D.J. shouldn’t have to defend himself. Apparently his current coach is the one who seems to make defending himself necessary.

Reaction Score
Players of their caliber don't transfer from Alabama and Georgia to UConn. That's just facts.

so Edsall’s comments on entitled and enabled only involved bad players, not the good ones.

Reaction Score
there are a lot of good players in the transfer portal. Interesting that Edsall wants to build on jucos versus players that were playing at FBS and FCS schools. Did you think about why those players were on juco teams and not on FCS and FBS teams?
Kids are at JUCOs for a number of reasons. Could be grades. Could be lack of recruiting visibility. Could be discipline issues. And, it can also be that a kid wants to play FBS football, but he wasn't developed enough to get an FBS scholarship at the time. In the Northeast, kids go to prep schools for a post grad year, but JUCOs fill that role in most of the country.

Case in point is Sidney Walker, a UConn recruit this year. He was an underdeveloped kid who went to JUCO to become a JUCO honorable mention All American OL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom