Transfer portal - outbound | Page 43 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal - outbound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I guess we'll see how this "bunch of babies" (and it's a pretty big bunch) works out for their new coaches. And we'll also see how things go for Randy when he's all out of scapegoats.
These "babies" may be right or may be wrong. But it's not just one disgruntled guy and I support their right to talk about their experience here. If you have inside information that contradicts that maybe you can post it instead of namecalling.
I know some people on the inside. They certainly see the world differently than those that have left on bitter terms. I'm certainly not about to drop stories here to win meaningless discussions on a message board.

Reaction Score
Well, clearly Edsall should have shown more tact as he is making headlines for the wrong reason.

Unfortunately for a number of the Redshirt Juniors and others with eligibility left, they weren't going to be significant contributors next year and it was time to move on. I give Edsall and UConn credit for allowing the players to have 4 years as most other schools would not have done it and would have pushed them out earlier.

Does everyone realize that if all of the eligible players would have been allowed to come back, this year's recruiting class would have been less than 10? Given the talent deficit on the team, would that have made any sense?

I'm sure cleaning up the roster was hard on the players and the players who would have been welcomed back, but saw their fellow classmates move on.

All that said, Edsall need to stop talking and start coaching. And, the players that left need to stop talking negative as it is a bad reflection on them.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Last time I checked over the last 2 years Randy Edsall has coached one of the 5 worst teams in the Country, historically pitiful. He can't afford to alienate anybody. He may think they are entitled, he may be upset that 25 players bailed on him, but he should be smart enough not to say it publically. Frankly, he should be asking himself, what can I do better? How can we fix this? Instead, it's not his fault. If the players have changed, then you have to change, not the other way around. BTW, 2 of the best players on the team last year were transfers. I would take a whole teamload of DJ Morgans and Art Thompsons over most of the guys on the team. He has no ability to learn. It has been the same since he got here the first time and at Maryland. It is never his fault. Well, as the saying goes, you are your record and he is what he is.
He's also had some serious transfer "busts" (without naming names) and thus it goes to show it can cut both ways. Randy wants guys that he can dig deeper on to confirm the fit and in the meat market that is the transfer portal he has decided that it is a setting where its too hard to decipher "fit."

Randy has a history of taking transfers. That is not about to end. All he is saying is that the portal wont be a place where you can expect him to chase and grab a dozen kids every year.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Does everyone realize that if all of the eligible players would have been allowed to come back, this year's recruiting class would have been less than 10? Given the talent deficit on the team, would that have made any sense?
Bingo. Lets face it, about 5 of the 25 transfers are players that matter. 5.

And unfortunately Randy has become popular with the national media as a go to guy for quotes that help them support their cynical takes on college football.

Reaction Score
This is what has them all fired up. Edsall has now insulted every transfer in the nation.

Which issues did D. J. Morgan have? I think he was well thought of during his time at ND. Apparently Edsall sees something the ND staff didn’t see. I do remember him being very classy in the things he said when he left. All the fans I know wished him well. No one seemed to think of him as entitled or enabled.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Which issues did D. J. Morgan have? I think he was well thought of during his time at ND. Apparently Edsall sees something the ND staff didn’t see. I do remember him being very classy in the things he said when he left. All the fans I know wished him well. No one seemed to think of him as entitled or enabled.
My god - how are you even remotely attempting to connect these dots? Morgan had a fantastic 2019, no one has said otherwise. Edsall was talking in generalities (broad strokes / common themes) about the state of mind of kids in the portal, not about HIS kids he took from the portal.

Reaction Score

Ed Daigneault@EdDaigneault 5h
Edsall says he intentionally stayed away from players in the transfer portal. Thinks they are often "entitled and enabled."

Josh Gattis@speed_in_space 3h
Replying to @EdDaigneault
DJ Morgan?

Ed Daigneault @EdDaigneault 3h
He was talking about this recruiting class.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Of course he'd rather have a freshman than a grad transfer. Then he can use the excuse that the freshman needs years to develop.

He's an excuse machine who is never accountable for results.

Reaction Score
Oh the world of social media... Hope our HC learned something today.. EVERY single word you utter is susceptible to scrutiny. Trying to make a point gets thrown out the window.

People do it with the Bible everyday, so what makes this any different...

Reaction Score
Last time I checked over the last 2 years Randy Edsall has coached one of the 5 worst teams in the Country, historically pitiful. He can't afford to alienate anybody. He may think they are entitled, he may be upset that 25 players bailed on him, but he should be smart enough not to say it publically. Frankly, he should be asking himself, what can I do better? How can we fix this? Instead, it's not his fault. If the players have changed, then you have to change, not the other way around. BTW, 2 of the best players on the team last year were transfers. I would take a whole teamload of DJ Morgans and Art Thompsons over most of the guys on the team. He has no ability to learn. It has been the same since he got here the first time and at Maryland. It is never his fault. Well, as the saying goes, you are your record and he is what he is.
My god - how are you even remotely attempting to connect these dots? Morgan had a fantastic 2019, no one has said otherwise. Edsall was talking in generalities (broad strokes / common themes) about the state of mind of kids in the portal, not about HIS kids he took from the portal.
There were other kids in the portal that he dealt with that didn't come here probably expecting immediate playing time because you know, its UConn. He'd rather deal with kids he knows, not unreasonable. Picture the Ryan Fines types he avoided.

Reaction Score

so it’s just the other kids that have the problems? Or just the a UConn kids who entered the transfer portal. It certainly seemed as though Edsall was saying that while he utililized transfers in the past, due to their being entitled or enabled, he would no longer pursue transfers. If that wasn’t aimed at D J Morgan, which transfer was it aimed at.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I could be wrong but didn’t the last three Heisman Trophy winners come out of the transfer portal???

Trust me Randy couldn’t care less about losing d2 players.

Reaction Score
so it’s just the other kids that have the problems? Or just the a UConn kids who entered the transfer portal. It certainly seemed as though Edsall was saying that while he utililized transfers in the past, due to their being entitled or enabled, he would no longer pursue transfers. If that wasn’t aimed at D J Morgan, which transfer was it aimed at.
Not remotely what he said.

Reaction Score

My guess is it was probably aimed right at Fines more than anyone else for being out of shape coming in thinking he was gonna be a starter

Reaction Score
Bad blood continues to stir. I suppose the outbound kids that signed today now feel comfortable they can talk because they have a new home and papers are signed.

As a fan of the program, I'm not that keen to take sides with those that are no longer here. I'm still here as a fan and we have 25 new faces that choose to be here that I want to support. For those reasons, I just want the malcontents to shut up and move on.

Donaldson was granted his scholarship by Edsall, guess that didn't work out in the end.

One of them is the coach and if there was a transfer portal for head coaches he'd still be sitting there. He is too self absorbed to see how insulting his comments were to the guys who transferred out. Lot of entitled Heisman winners lately, I'd have gladly watched UConn grab one.

Reaction Score
this is totally becoming a crap show and getting out of hand. Even 247 is posting about Randy’s quotes..Why these kids that transferred out think this is about them is beyond what I can fathom. And to be so clueless to post on twitter shows how bad the divide was in the locker room..best of luck to all the transfers .. let’s just move on .. today is about 25 new players that want to play for Edsall.

Reaction Score
My guess is it was probably aimed right at Fines more than anyone else for being out of shape coming in thinking he was gonna be a starter

... and further colored by his experience with grad transfer Michael Hinton who committed and signed a financial aid agreement during the early period last recruiting year then had a change of heart 4 months later and bailed for Tulane costing UConn a 2019 scholarship spot.

PWS

Reaction Score

Edsall flat out said that players in the portal have issues as opposed to JUCO players, who apparently don't have issues. He did not say some have issues, and you have to be careful and vet them, he said they have issues and we are not going to recruit them unless we know them from before. That is eliminating a lot of very good football players who contrary to what Randy says, don't have issues. My comments are not related to those who left. There were only 3 or 4 who I wished stayed. My comment is that for a team way lacking in talent, you don't come out say you are not going to recruit a large group of players because you think they all have issues. It was a ridiculous comment whereby nothing good is going to come from it, except more bad publicity for Edsall and the program.

Reaction Score
Now you're reaching. And thus this is the problem everytime Edsall opens his fat mouth. He opens himself and the program to more bad attention.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Edsall flat out said that players in the portal have issues as opposed to JUCO players, who apparently don't have issues. He did not say some have issues, and you have to be careful and vet them, he said they have issues and we are not going to recruit them unless we know them from before. That is eliminating a lot of very good football players who contrary to what Randy says, don't have issues. My comments are not related to those who left. There were only 3 or 4 who I wished stayed. My comment is that for a team way lacking in talent, you don't come out say you are not going to recruit a large group of players because you think they all have issues. It was a ridiculous comment whereby nothing good is going to come from it, except more bad publicity for Edsall and the program.

Are you really so literal to think that Randy truly believes all portal kids are bad apples and all JUCO kids are little angels? Everyone is reading entirely to much into this stuff; media, diaco era players and select uconn fans.

Here's what I got out of today.

1) Edsall let the disingenuous walk and boy there were a lot of guys that didn't buy in. How Randy was able to do any recruiting in 2019 and 2020 with that many sour souls rooming the locker room is amazing.
2) When you are 6-30 you have a bullseye on your back. Even the national media will use anything you say to shape and support their narratives.

Last edited:

PWS

Reaction Score
Are you really so literal to think that Randy truly believes all portal kids are bad apples and all JUCO kids are little angels? Everyone is reading entirely to much into this stuff; media, diaco era players and select uconn fans.

Here's what I got out of today.

1) Edsall let the disingenuous walk and boy there we a lot of guys that didn't buy in. How Randy was able to do any recruiting in 2019 and 2020 with that many sour souls rooming the locker room is amazing.
2) When you are 6-30 you have a bullseye on your back. Even the national media will use anything you say to shape and support their narratives.

No, I am not. But as I mentioned, I don't care about the guys that left. This is about future recruiting for a very bad football team. the point is he said it and now it is going viral. Your second point is exactly what I am talking about. Randy should know better and not say really stupid stuff to the press. He and UConn will get killed for those kinds of comments. You can infer what he meant all you want, but he did say that he wasn't going to recruit kids in the portal unless he knew them prior. That is a stupid and silly thing to say. Look at how many transfers are killing it on other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom