Transfer portal getting nuts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal getting nuts

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So true. Don't forget, It's happening in college football too. You think Nebraska cornhusker fans will just trade in all their CFball gear for Denver Broncos season tix? College sports mean more to the country as a whole than pro-sports.

Fans will stop watching college when the only difference between the NFL or NBA and college is that the NFL and NBA players are a lot better. That could be a lot sooner than many think.

Reaction Score
No, that's an awful idea. Nobody has any appetite for an NBA farm system.
Who said anything about NBA? Affiliate it with the colleges. Rent the brand for $1 a year.

Reaction Score
So true. Don't forget, It's happening in college football too. You think Nebraska cornhusker fans will just trade in all their CFball gear for Denver Broncos season tix? College sports mean more to the country as a whole than pro-sports.
?

Than the NFL?

I dont think so. Not even close.

Reaction Score
This should, in theory, result in a better college basketball product at the top of D1. Late bloomers and under the radar talent getting added to top HS talent. I’m all for it from a basketball perspective.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
No, that's an awful idea. Nobody has any appetite for an NBA farm system.

That's exactly what it is - just because you don't want to see it that way doesn't mean it isn't true.

Reaction Score
What does that have to do with anything?
You don't want the kids in college. It's still extremely important for the overwhelming majority of players to get their degrees.

Reaction Score
?

Than the NFL?

I dont think so. Not even close.
It's very close. Depends on how you want to quantify it.
You're definitely right about the money and the national popularity, due to more casual fans of the whole nfl scene. But it's different:
The way alabama, south Carolina, Oregon, Mississippi, TN, Ohio, Florida, Michigan, Georgia, Kentucky, north Carolina, Kansas, Iowa, Indiana, feel about college sports is unparalleled than in the pros.
I think fantasy is the thing that pushes the nfl ahead money wise.

It's like this, Halloween is celebrated by everybody in the u.s. but it ain't sacred like Easter or passover.

NFL=MCDONALDS

CFB= NY PIZZA, SOUTHERN BBQ, CHESAPEAKE BAY SEAFOOD, MIDWEST CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP CASSEROLES ETC.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Of course it's the American feeder system to the NBA, once you remove college from it nobody cares about it. They tried it with with Ignite and these other teams, nobody cares.

I think the point is, as long as the laundry says Connecticut and there's a basketball on the court people will watch regardless if the athletes are "student-athletes" or not.

Reaction Score
I think the point is, as long as the laundry says Connecticut and there's a basketball on the court people will watch regardless if the athletes are "student-athletes" or not.
What are you advocating? The Connecticut Huskies removed from the University of Connecticut in a NBA development league?

Reaction Score
Take the game pro! Been saying it for awhile.

With numbers like these, there can be absolutely no pretense that this has anything to do with academics. At this point, take it pro!

Do not force kids into classes if they don't want to be there.
This is the next obvious step in “college” athletics.

Athletes will be allowed to play without taking classes. Their degree program will be them participating in whatever sport they play.

The way things are accelerating I give it three years at best before all remaining remnants of the college athletic model as we knew it disappears completely.

Enjoy these past two years because what we love about college basketball, and UConn basketball, will not exist.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What are you advocating? The Connecticut Huskies removed from the University of Connecticut in a NBA development league?

I'm not advocating for anything - just making the point that for all intents and purposes "college" basketball is already a semi pro league. When guys are out there cashing $1M checks and 30% of the sport is transferring every year, you really think people are holding onto some illusion that it's not semi pro because guys get tutored on the side for History 101?

And for the record - I'm fine with it. Kids should get paid.

Reaction Score
Never in history has the basketball landscape been so beneficial to the small name player who develops his game and raises his stock so that he can get an opportunity on the open transfer market to capitalize.

It does need to be regulated, however, but I'm an advocate for the players getting these opportunities. There's never been this much movement and excitement about transfer portal, ever! And I'm all for it!

Reaction Score
Of course it's the American feeder system to the NBA, once you remove college from it nobody cares about it. They tried it with with Ignite and these other teams, nobody cares.
Yes!!!! 100% the regional thing is the whole reason!!!
It's the reason why people will watch the Olympic but will never watch pro-running, or gymnastics or...swimming.

Reaction Score
I'm not advocating for anything - just making the point that for all intents and purposes "college" basketball is already a semi pro league. When guys are out there cashing $1M checks and 30% of the sport is transferring every year, you really think people are holding onto some illusion that it's not semi pro because guys get tutored on the side for History 101?

And for the record - I'm fine with it. Kids should get paid.
So you do think the kids should still be a part of the school, take classes, and get degrees?

You don't want an NBA farm system?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So you do think the kids should still be a part of the school, take classes, and get degrees?

You don't want an NBA farm system?

Sure. I don't really have a dog in the fight.

Just commenting that it's far more semi pro than pure amateurism.

Reaction Score
Would love to know how this all works with academic credits transferring. Assuming kids that transfer multiple times are probably not graduating.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
This is why we won't see mid majors make NCAA runs like they used to
It goes both ways. See Diggins. Instead of not playing here it’s a top 60 recruit starting at UMass. Maybe it doesn’t totally even but I don’t think it’s a huge net gain at the top middle or bottom conferences. It evens itself out overall.

Plus all you need is one rich guy at a small school to really swing the needle in terms of talent there. Surprised hasn’t happened more already yet.

Reaction Score
Of course, nothing says all those players think they're going to high D1 power 5 teams. Nothing says guys aren't transferring to upgrade from Southland to MVC.
Or they are just disgruntled human beings who think they are better than they are. We all have friends, family members, co workers like this. I guess portal people will get the truth one way or another. I love it, ultimate meritocracy with no place for participation trophies. Those who deserve it will get theirs. Love uconn approach, indiana can buy ballo, tarris want to win and improve

Reaction Score
Would love to know how this all works with academic credits transferring. Assuming kids that transfer multiple times are probably not graduating.
They never did

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom