Transfer portal getting nuts

Reaction Score
This isn't sustainable long term.

Screenshot_20240417-201951_Reddit.jpg

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Not sustainable in what way?
Yeah, not sure what that means (aside from just being lifted from the reddit post with a similar title). Half these kids are just going to end up at one of the same mid major conferences anyway. For every mid major star that transfers to a top conference, there will be a bench player from a top conference transferring to start for a mid major.

If it ends up backfiring for as many kids as a doomer might think, eventually it will work itself out and fewer kids will look to transfer. It will just take a couple years to get there.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
12-13 players on a squad. 8-9 players returning. At least half of those won't be starting or getting a significant role due to talent, new coach, or incoming players.

4 players per team mean over 1200 transfers before you even look at the usual non-athletic/academic transfers.

25%30% seems about normal to me.

Reaction Score
12-13 players on a squad. 8-9 players returning. At least half of those won't be starting or getting a significant role due to talent, new coach, or incoming players.

4 players per team mean over 1200 transfers before you even look at the usual non-athletic/academic transfers.

25%30% seems about normal to me.
Actually, four players per team (351) will equate to over 1400 and the process will not be positive for a good number of them.

Reaction Score
It's the pareto effect or the Jack Welch theory of management. Need to turn the bottom 20% each year. That's kind of what this is. By bottom 20% I mean unhappy, underappreciated, underperforming etc, not necessarily poor performers.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
how many are guys that have played 4 season but only have an extra year due to covid?

the transfer portal numbers should drop by about 20ish% percent next year overall.

don't buy the fake news hysteria.

Reaction Score
Of course, nothing says all those players think they're going to high D1 power 5 teams. Nothing says guys aren't transferring to upgrade from Southland to MVC.

Reaction Score
This isn't sustainable long term.

View attachment 99773
I agree with you. Just because it's happening doesn't mean it's okay and will work out. Because the system didn't fall apart this year doesn't mean it can handle it long term.

I think the biggest problem is gonna come from a deteriorating fan base, and coaches ditching, and player demands going up, where some universities won't want to play this game any longer. I can't see Hurley wanting to do what he has to do to keep a team, for another ten years. This must suck for a coach and his staff.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
how many are guys that have played 4 season but only have an extra year due to covid?

the transfer portal numbers should drop by about 20ish% percent next year overall.

don't buy the fake news hysteria.
In fairness you could be correct. It could level out.

Reaction Score
This is how the power conferences push out the mid-majors without publicly stating such … athletic/recruiting budgets are already tight at many schools, now they’re being used to farm for the big boys.

Reaction Score
This is why we won't see mid majors make NCAA runs like they used to
Sure we will, there's a lot of talent out there and kids are moving up and down all over the place.

That being said I'm not at all a fan of 2,000 transfers per year and kids transferring over and over again. I'm also not a fan of boosters paying out the rear to buy recruits and transfers.

Reaction Score
I can't see Hurley wanting to do what he has to do to keep a team, for another ten years. This must suck for a coach and his staff.
Hurley did mention on Dan Patrick this morning that his most likely exit from UConn would be because of burnout. He doesn't have a few days off until mid-May. He mentioned that NBA coaches can chill once their season is over and turn any player recruiting over to the front office while college coaches are the front office.

Reaction Score
Hurley did mention on Dan Patrick this morning that his most likely exit from UConn would be because of burnout. He doesn't have a few days off until mid-May. He mentioned that NBA coaches can chill once their season is over and turn any player recruiting over to the front office while college coaches are the front office.
He won't be here until he's an old man, I kind of doubt any coaches who put in all the work necessary to remain an elite program will remain like they used to.

Reaction Score
Take the game pro! Been saying it for awhile.

With numbers like these, there can be absolutely no pretense that this has anything to do with academics. At this point, take it pro!

Do not force kids into classes if they don't want to be there.

Reaction Score
Sure we will, there's a lot of talent out there and kids are moving up and down all over the place.

That being said I'm not at all a fan of 2,000 transfers per year and kids transferring over and over again. I'm also not a fan of boosters paying out the rear to buy recruits and transfers.
Saw recent Cam Newton interview where he joked, without admitting, that his old man got $180,000.00 for signing with Auburn. If P2 boosters need to pony up megabucks for football players maybe bigtime football boosters won't be as inclined to spend big money on all but the very best basketball transfers. We were already losing out to the under the table Maggette recruits so now at least the Duke/Kentucky/Kansas guys will have to pay up for their one and dones.
The middling transfers will soon get to see how beneficial transferring is (or is not), the overlooked/big improvement guys will make out. There would be no Spencer story without the portal.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is how the power conferences push out the mid-majors without publicly stating such … athletic/recruiting budgets are already tight at many schools, now they’re being used to farm for the big boys.

It will be more complicated than that. The mid-major players will realize that transferring to a major conference school too early and getting buried on the bench will kill their college career. No coach is going to want an inbound junior or senior that has been riding the bench, so players need to choose wisely, just like with their college choice. The kids that get hyped are the ones on the court, not the ones on the bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom