Trainer Moshak leaving TN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Trainer Moshak leaving TN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
In a word: Yes there is. But, before doing so, it is first necessary to remove the little hand grenade put into the comment in the first place. Referring to the matter as one of "spin" can be considered (I said can be not is) loaded and demeaning of the concept of pursuing equality and equal treatment and opposing job retaliation. So, if one has a concern, there are better words than "spin".

Here's how UT, or at least its women's basketball program may benefit from this action by Moshak.

First, it is important to do what can be done to overcome the serious and ongoing pattern of gender based pay discrimination.

Second, it is easy to overlook the seriousness of unequal pay when an elite program is involved. The assumption is too easily made that working for an elite program means everything is honky dory when, in fact, everything isn't.

Third, female basketball players know or should know the pot at the end of the rainbow in the WNBA and in commercial endorsements and in professional jobs of all kinds is a lot smaller for them than it is for male counterparts. It is wrong to overlook, sugarcoat and/or rationalize those facts away by crying broke or some other rationalization.

Fourth, by coming to UT, instead of, say, another program that pretends gender discrimination doesn't exist or downplays it, an elite recruit can be seen as taking a stand in favor of equal treatment. If UT develops an environment of vigilance in favor of equality, as expressed by staff, former staff AND players, a "coolness" element could easily develop or be nurtured.

Finally, this perspective can be put rhetorically. If you were an elite player or her parent, and if you were from, say, the lower income segment of the population (which is larger now than it has been and growing), or if you were simply progressively oriented, would you want to play in a hotbed of advocacy in favor of gender inequality; 'where the action is' so to speak? Let me know if you want my answer were it my granddaughters...

So, yes, there is, indeed, a very positive way to put this matter.

I wonder if Holly will take it and run with it? :-o

Seriously?

If there was any evidence that the university had addressed all these problems, then you might have a prayer of a positive spin that all schools have some issues, and here the issues have been:
  1. Identified and
  2. Addressed

Except there is no evidence yet that step 2 has occurred. The spin is premature. (It isn't even clear step 1 is done.)

Reaction Score
Would you please go though and praise each one individually. Say 5- 10 words each? Alphabetical would be nice.

No. Praise given was sufficient. Do you think boneyarders require a lot of individual praise? If so why do they require that?

Just askin'

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
"This ain't your momma's Tennessee"

So, "change" versus "status quo" was close on to explicit based on the ordinary meaning of words you used. The quoted phrase was therefore understood to be based on the Oldsmobile use of "not your fathers olds" that was used as a slogan to overcome Oldsmobile's image as being outdated, staid, timid, etc.

It d'int work. Olds went out of business.

Kudos for remembering the source of the expression. It may turn out to be more apt that you intended.

Reaction Score
Seriously?

If there was any evidence that the university had addressed all these problems, then you might have a prayer of a positive spin that all schools have some issues, and here the issues have been:

1. [ ]Identified and
    [ ]Addressed

Except there is no evidence yet that step 2 has occurred. The spin is premature. (It isn't even clear step 1 is done.)

Ok, your post is interesting to me, but it differs a bit from what I had in mind. My starting point was not that there are indications the problem has been resolved at UT. Rather, my starting point was that the situation is fluid and ongoing. Moshak!s case is ongoing. I referred to this by mentioning UT being a possible hot bed of activism for equal pay, etc. and therefore an exciting place to be, attractive to elite women's basketball recruits and fans.

You might still say "seriously" but if you do, you at least have a clearer idea of what to say it about.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Wow, another thread hijacked by Plotsie for the sake of his ego.

Man up? Give me a break.

Reaction Score
This is the most logically contorted piece of nonsense I've read in many a year. Methinks jplotinus has been slugging down some Tennessee moonshine on his trips to ole Rocky Top.

Logical contortion? Perhaps. I can name a number of current examples of logical contortion that are being used to justify a number of unfortunate realities. Can you?

Here, try a sip of my moonshine :)

Reaction Score
Wow, another thread hijacked by Plotsie for the sake of his ego.

Man up? Give me a break.

No, DD, I am not hijacking the thread. I am commenting on the Moshak discrimination case, its implications for UT and beyond and I am replying to comments directed towards me that make incorrect assumptions.

Man up, DD.

Do your own fighting, instead of trotting Ahnold out all the time. :)

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Uh, JP - if it was a great hot bed of activism for equal pay, and progress was being made in that direction, it might be exciting for recruits and fans. Right now it seems to be a morass of traditionalism that is driving out loyal staff who have been mainstays of the UT WBB program for years.

If I was a recruit, a parent of a recruit, or someone being interviewed for Morshak's now open position, I would be leery to say the least. The old boys seem firmly in control at the top right now. Look at the body count.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
If that is your claim and if you are sticking with it, then what you posted was vague, unclear. Is that what you intended?

By way of one example, after listing a number of staff changes, you concluded the post in question with:

"This ain't your momma's Tennessee"

So, "change" versus "status quo" was close on to explicit based on the ordinary meaning of words you used. The quoted phrase was therefore understood to be based on the Oldsmobile use of "not your fathers olds" that was used as a slogan to overcome Oldsmobile's image as being outdated, staid, timid, etc.

It d'int work. Olds went out of business.

It appeared that was the tenor of your post, to which I replied.

Oh, one other thing, I assume this still won't make sense to you and that you'll re-post for the third time your funny video. Am I correct?

Maybe you should ask me what I meant. It certainly wasn't that. But you went off half cocked (probably a physical problem) and responded based on what you thought I meant and not what I actually meant.

Just with Pat gone, it's not your momma's Tennessee.

You are a piece of work.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
No, DD, I am not hijacking the thread. I am commenting on the Moshak discrimination case, its implications for UT and beyond and I am replying to comments directed towards me that make incorrect assumptions.

Man up, DD.

Do your own fighting, instead of trotting Ahnold out all the time. :)

Really? Man up? Is that it?

I have a place for your smiley face.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
You are a piece of work.

I have no dog in this fight.( no pun intended- well maybe a little) but isn't that a lot like the pot calling the kettle the kettle black?

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I'm done. I don't put posters on ignore, but I will be ignoring Plotsie in the future.
Hope you know that my comment was meant as a friendly gesture, DD. I always enjoy reading your posts.

Reaction Score
Hope you know that my comment was meant as a friendly gesture, DD. I always enjoy reading your posts.

Yeah, I can understand trying to placte DD. None of us want him to get into such a snit that he runs off and doesn't post up game analyses. They are valuable.

On the other hand, too bad he d'int take you up on your offer to serve as corner. With you in that role, I might have eased up and cut him some slack. But, alas, he has fled the scene in a huff. That is a pity :)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Please-don-t-feed-the-trolls-atsof-547660_170_186.jpg

For those who've never looked up the definition of a troll:

"In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally[3][4] or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[5] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[6]"

Reaction Score
Please-don-t-feed-the-trolls-atsof-547660_170_186.jpg

For those who've never looked up the definition of a troll:

"In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally[3][4] or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[5] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[6]"

The wiki page continues with several additional segments, including this one:

"Application of the term troll is subjective. Some readers may characterize a post as trolling, while others may regard the same post as a legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial. Like any pejorative term, it can be used as an ad hominem attack, suggesting a negative motivation."

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Best regards

I wonder how one could quantify their regards as being "best"....that also applied to "warm" regards, "kind" regards

Just throwing that out into the ether....10 word maximum response or less is preferred.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Thanks. I know how you meant it. It was appreciated!!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I have no dog in this fight.( no pun intended- well maybe a little) but isn't that a lot like the pot calling the kettle the kettle black?
I've had my moments. Obviously you are not a fan.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The wiki page continues with several additional segments, including this one:

"Application of the term troll is subjective. Some readers may characterize a post as trolling, while others may regard the same post as a legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial. Like any pejorative term, it can be used as an ad hominem attack, suggesting a negative motivation."
I'm the site administrator. I get to decide who is upsetting the board, i.e a troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom