Tragic Accident involving two Univ of Richmond WBB coaches | The Boneyard

Tragic Accident involving two Univ of Richmond WBB coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Horrible news. Recent report is it is now a recovery mission, not a rescue so they are presumed dead. Just so sad.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Horrible. Even without the WBB connection.

Call me a coward, but there are a number of things I don't do, not because they are particularly unsafe, but because if something goes horribly wrong, there aren't many good scenarios. Ballooning is one of those, although I admire those who fly them.

Reaction Score
Horrible. Even without the WBB connection.

Call me a coward, but there are a number of things I don't do, not because they are particularly unsafe, but because if something goes horribly wrong, there aren't many good scenarios. Ballooning is one of those, although I admire those who fly them.
Sky diving is another one for me. I prefer to keep my feet on the ground. As exciting as it looks, when things go bad, they go bad in a big way.

Sending prayers and thoughts of comfort to those impacted.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The other member of the Richmond WBB staff in the balloon was Dir of BB Operations Natalie Lewis. She is the 3rd passenger who has yet to be found.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ugh. What an awful story.

I agree on not getting in one of those things - not that I needed any further confirmation, but a hot air balloon bounced off the front of my house five years ago and ended up in the yard. They don't go exactly where you want them to go.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I saw part of the story on the news this morning, had not heard of the WBB connection. Very sad story.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Ugh. What an awful story.

I agree on not getting in one of those things - not that I needed any further confirmation, but a hot air balloon bounced off the front of my house five years ago and ended up in the yard. They don't go exactly where you want them to go.

These balloons were in the air at 8 pm last night, after it was too foggy to take off at 6:30 pm. I left work last night at 8 pm and recall thinking about visibility as I put my headlights on. Not the best time to be in a hot air balloon.

Updated story from the Washington Post. Richmond Head Coach Michael Schafer and his two young kids (7 and 9) were in another balloon that took off about the same time.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...d6ec8c-d864-11e3-95d3-3bcd77cd4e11_story.html

Reaction Score
When we lived in NY we went fishing with our neighbor in Long Island Sound and caught a hot air balloon. He had taken off from Long Island and the wind died, so we towed his across.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
When we lived in NY we went fishing with our neighbor in Long Island Sound and caught a hot air balloon. He had taken off from Long Island and the wind died, so we towed his across.
Man, what a bunch of questions popped into my mind when I read this!

What did you use for bait? Was it "live" bait (champagne, sushi, canapes)? If it was artificial what was it (Splenda, Botox, silcon-enhanced ..uh, um.. well, you know)?
What's the legal limit for hot air balloons? One per day?
Is there a minimum size? How do you measure it, and, if it's too small, do you have to throw it back?
Was your cooler big enough, or did you have to strap it to your roof rack?
Are there different state regs for freshwater balloons and salt water?
Is it a 12-month season, or is it restricted? If restricted, when's opening day? Does the state "stock" certain waterways, or are all the balloons "native" stock?

See? Lots of questions!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, Pinot, it was just one of those hot, dead air days. There was only one man in the balloon and he could go up and down, but there was no breeze to push him forward or backward at all. He dropped down a tow rope and it was a little complicated to tie the rope to a cleat since the cleat is built to withstand lateral forces and not vertical ones. In a sailboat you can run that line through a number of pullies to reduce the strain, but we got it done. I can't imagine how these folks ran into a power line. A real tragedy.

Reaction Score
I just read about this sad story. My heart and prayers go out to the families in this sad event.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A month ago Ginny Doyle was very close to being named head coach at Bucknell. In fact, some said the announcement was imminent. She changed her mind and decided to remain at Richmond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom