Traffic on Saturday.... | The Boneyard

Traffic on Saturday....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Just a FYI for those that may not realize The Hartford Marathon is being run on Saturday. This will result in much more traffic in Hartford. Beware those coming in from the north, south and west. I 91 is already posted for some ramp closures and delays from 7AM till 2PM.

Thanks Woof 101! I come up from Middletown and remember getting stuck in some sluggish traffic because of the Marathon in years past. Will definitely be leaving the house a little early on Saturday.

Reaction Score
I would be surprised if there are more than 27 cars in the parking lot, but thanks for the heads up!!

Reaction Score
I'm taking the Berlin Turnpike to I-91 to the Charter Oak Bridge. Have to bypass I-84 at all costs!

Reaction Score
Wonder if this kind of planning takes place in the land of the big schools. Do they run the Norman Marathon on game day at Oklahoma. Or the Gainesville Marathon when Florida is at home. Connecticut is really struggling to understand this concept of big time football.

Reaction Score
Wonder if this kind of planning takes place in the land of the big schools. Do they run the Norman Marathon on game day at Oklahoma. Or the Gainesville Marathon when Florida is at home. Connecticut is really struggling to understand this concept of big time football.

We can always find something to piss and moan about, can't we. This isn't the first time the marathon has been run on a home game day. Has never really posed any serious problems.

Reaction Score

Here's what we need to do to be big time. In all of these places, kids' games are scheduled on Sundays during home games. I'm missing the USF game because my son has a game at 1 PM. In Tuscaloosa, Norman, etc......the Pop Warner leagues schedule the games around home games. What am I gonna do? My son comes first. It just really sucks, because he loves coming to the games too. University can get the word out to these leagues and use it to get more of these kids into the Rent with their families. Just one small thing.......

Reaction Score

I was interested in running the race, then found out the date and obviously that made my decision for me. UCONN fans will go to the game. Those not interested, just like any other Sat will do what they are interested in.

Reaction Score
Here's what we need to do to be big time. In all of these places, kids' games are scheduled on Sundays during home games. I'm missing the USF game because my son has a game at 1 PM. In Tuscaloosa, Norman, etc......the Pop Warner leagues schedule the games around home games. What am I gonna do? My son comes first. It just really sucks, because he loves coming to the games too. University can get the word out to these leagues and use it to get more of these kids into the Rent with their families. Just one small thing.......

Now this is something that can easily be fixed and should be.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Too much hyperbole.

I'm in the heart of college football country and all the pee wee games are on Saturdays. They run from about 8am all the way through the early afternoon. I've got plenty of friends who are die hard football fans and several of them were season ticket holders at Alabama, LSU, FSU, Auburn or UF. None of them miss their kids' games to attend a college game.

Reality is that most of the larger college football communities have enough fans outside of parents with kids involved with Saturday sports to support the program.

Reaction Score
I'm taking the Berlin Turnpike to I-91 to the Charter Oak Bridge. Have to bypass I-84 at all costs!

If the traffic is terrible (and it won't be), you can take the Route 3 exit, cross the river, and pick up Route 2 in Glastonbury.

I lived in Hartford for several years -- unless The Rent was in the middle of Bushnell Park, the chances of this affecting our game are very slim.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I was interested in running the race, then found out the date and obviously that made my decision for me. UCONN fans will go to the game. Those not interested, just like any other Sat will do what they are interested in.
We are doing both. Well, my friend is running the race, we're scooting back to Manchester after the race for him to shower, then we are off to the game as soon as possible. Sad that it eliminates our tailgating but gotta support my buddy running his first half!

Reaction Score
Too much hyperbole.

I'm in the heart of college football country and all the pee wee games are on Saturdays. They run from about 8am all the way through the early afternoon. I've got plenty of friends who are die hard football fans and several of them were season ticket holders at Alabama, LSU, FSU, Auburn or UF. None of them miss their kids' games to attend a college game.

Reality is that most of the larger college football communities have enough fans outside of parents with kids involved with Saturday sports to support the program.

Maybe a little too much hyperbole.

I'm admittedly basing this on a friend that lives just outside of Tuscaloosa. His son's football schedule was made to accomodate Tide home games. Maybe they don't do it everywhere, or in every community outside of Tuscaloosa. But they do it in pockets.

Reaction Score
In a perfect world these events would not be the same day. Pretty sure the marathon picks their day first, so maybe going forward would be good if UConn/Warde/Sue/Global Spectator/state OPM checked the marathon date first and then scheduled around it. Of course, who knows if there will be a marathon next year with ING dropping out. Thankfully USF is not a marquee opponent (like, say, Michigan or Tennessee).
BTW don't think there will be anything near a sellout but firing P/promoting TJ probably worth selling 5-10K tickets.

Reaction Score

Facepalm.

Reaction Score
In a perfect world these events would not be the same day. Pretty sure the marathon picks their day first, so maybe going forward would be good if UConn/Warde/Sue/Global Spectator/state OPM checked the marathon date first and then scheduled around it. Of course, who knows if there will be a marathon next year with ING dropping out. Thankfully USF is not a marquee opponent (like, say, Michigan or Tennessee).
BTW don't think there will be anything near a sellout but firing P/promoting TJ probably worth selling 5-10K tickets.

ING is also dropping out of the NYC Marathon and Miami. The Hartford Marathon is not in any danger.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/23572193/ing-drops-out-of-hartford-marathon

Reaction Score
FWIW - The marathon date and time has been set for over a year. We didn't know the time of the football game until a week ago. Easiest solution would have been to make this a night game or back when they made the AAC schedule it could have been a road game.

Reaction Score
Maybe a little too much hyperbole.

I'm admittedly basing this on a friend that lives just outside of Tuscaloosa. His son's football schedule was made to accomodate Tide home games. Maybe they don't do it everywhere, or in every community outside of Tuscaloosa. But they do it in pockets.

It probably depends on whether the league administrators or the key coaches have tickets or not. Most of the rescheduling of any youth sports I've seen revolves around the handful of people in the league that have juice and what their individual schedules are.

Reaction Score
If the traffic is terrible (and it won't be), you can take the Route 3 exit, cross the river, and pick up Route 2 in Glastonbury.

I lived in Hartford for several years -- unless The Rent was in the middle of Bushnell Park, the chances of this affecting our game are very slim.

We can always find something to piss and moan about, can't we. This isn't the first time the marathon has been run on a home game day. Has never really posed any serious problems.

Exactly. I remember thinking this would be an issue in a prior year and I just went 91/3/2 and it was a non-issue.

Reaction Score
True in the larger scheme that this not really a big deal but there is a larger point about greater Hartford having trouble handling two big events in one day. Too many times the right hand doesn't seem to know what the left hand is doing. Part of the problem is folks running particular events expect the world to revolve around their event. UConn is guilty of this at times.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
FWIW - The marathon date and time has been set for over a year. We didn't know the time of the football game until a week ago. Easiest solution would have been to make this a night game or back when they made the AAC schedule it could have been a road game.
It has not been a problem in the past.

Reaction Score

The same thing happened last year and it wasn't an issue.

how much of a simpleton must you be to say something as idiotic as "Connecticut is really struggling to understand the concept of bigtime football"?!

You know who doesn't understand the concept of bigtime football? You.

You know what we have in common with those schools? The field dimensions. The number of officials on the field. The footballs and field goals are the same size. We use the same rule book. That's about it.

If UConn was "bigtime football", it wouldn't matter what else was going on, the stadium would be full. Marathon? No problem. County Fair? So what. Convention? Doesn't matter. Bigtime football doesn't have to schedule their games around events, or demand others schedule events around UConn games.

Bigtime football programs have no problem getting fans in the seats regardless of what else is going on in because it's a different culture. Fans of a bigtime program would have no problem selling their tickets if they decided to run the marathon or go support someone who chose to.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This thread is whole lotta nothing.

Reaction Score
This thread is whole lotta nothing.
Sorry you feel that way, but I do agree it was transformed into something else as many posts here become. I simply was trying to help. I have it from many including myself that have been caught in it on previous years it was a welcome notice. Most important to those like my group that like to arrive early and not sit in traffic, and park close to The House...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom