Traci Carter (Committed to Marquette) | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Traci Carter (Committed to Marquette)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
superjohn said:
I wonder what Taliek's legacy would be around here if they never won the Championship in 2004. Thank god it turned out the way it did but Taliek almost singlehandedly lost the final 4 game against Duke. I love Taliek but he was by far the worst player on the floor that game, thankfully it all worked out and our fanbase now remembers Taliek as underrated and we can tell stories about Kenny Smith having him on his all-century team.

Yes, he was bad in that game. Do you hold the Gonzaga game against KEA or the St. Joe's game against Bazz? Bazz stunk during regulation - dribbled off his leg with two minutes left and missed the chippy that Brimah finished. Boat and DD hit the huge threes to give us a chance.

The Gonzaga game was huge pressure. Huge. And KEA let loose an epic stink bomb (0-12, fumbling a ball out of bounds, torched by Quentin Hall). Losing to St Joe's last year would have been more rough than any subsequent game too. It would have rendered the whole two-year building process to try to get our program back on solid footing useless.

Taliek obliterated Alabama's poor point guard (1 point in 36 minutes) and he's still finding chunks of Jarrett Jack in his stool (1-8, 5 turnovers). He also held Duhon in check.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Ten years gone and Taliek is still the most polarizing Husky maybe ever.
He certainly did a lot of things really well. But when he was playing badly, it was pretty painful to watch.

Reaction Score
Yes, he was bad in that game. Do you hold the Gonzaga game against KEA or the St. Joe's game against Bazz? Bazz stunk during regulation - dribbled off his leg with two minutes left and missed the chippy that Brimah finished. Boat and DD hit the huge threes to give us a chance.

The Gonzaga game was huge pressure. Huge. And KEA let loose an epic stink bomb (0-12, fumbling a ball out of bounds, torched by Quentin Hall). Losing to St Joe's last year would have been more rough than any subsequent game too. It would have rendered the whole two-year building process to try to get our program back on solid footing useless.

Taliek obliterated Alabama's poor point guard (1 point in 36 minutes) and he's still finding chunks of Jarrett Jack in his stool (1-8, 5 turnovers). He also held Duhon in check.
If El-Amin and Bazz's teams lost in those games it would hurt their legacy a little but not much because those performances were such an abberation, even superstars have a stinker every once in a while. I didn't feel like it was much of an abberation at the time watching Taliek stink it up. I remember watching with a crowd full of UConn fans and it went from the refs took a win away from us to Taliek took a win away from us. Thank god we had our epic run with under 3 minutes left or there wouldn't be a lot of Taliek love around here.

Reaction Score
I think Lubin can do that now but KO is just being loyal to Phil who may play better defense at this point.

There is no "may", Phil is much better at defending pick and rolls and on rotations. Lubin had one game where he played well and was in the right spots defensively, the home Cincy game. Other than that he's way off the grid defensively.

Reaction Score
superjohn said:
If El-Amin and Bazz's teams lost in those games it would hurt their legacy a little but not much because those performances were such an abberation, even superstars have a stinker every once in a while. I didn't feel like it was much of an abberation at the time watching Taliek stink it up. I remember watching with a crowd full of UConn fans and it went from the refs took a win away from us to Taliek took a win away from us. Thank god we had our epic run with under 3 minutes left or there wouldn't be a lot of Taliek love around here.

Really? You don't thinking going 0-12 in a loss to Gonzaga (who was a complete unknown at the time and a 10 seed, in a game we absolutely positively had to win), and fumbling a ball out of bounds up 3 with nobody near him and two minutes left, wouldn't have ruined KEA's rep as a big game player? Think of how Donyell is remembered and multiply it by two or three. That wasn't an off game - that was the worst big game performance by a key player in our entire history, bar none, and Rip saved his bacon by dropping 20+ against a box and one that they could afford to stay with while KEA's testiculos ascended back up into his body for one strange day. KEA wasn't great against Duke either, frankly (six turnovers), but was 1-2 in the last minute and 2-2 at the line, which cemented his reputation.

Bazz wouldn't be Bazz either, without surviving St Joe's. Role player on a NC and two first round losses in winnable games leaves him way out of the Mt Rushmore conversation. He's ahead of Albie Mouring just because of his regular season clutchiness, but not by all that much.

The Duke game was a total aberration for Taliek. He had a ghastly seven turnovers and had more than four in a game once in the entire season up to that point (5 in a double digit win over Miami). But you're certainly right - if we had lost, he'd be the one we pinned it on. And he'd largely deserve it for playing poorly. But the folks who had their minds made up about Taliek and were looking for one piece of evidence to support it during an epic postseason run of dominance and spectacular offensive efficiency would still be clinging to it like a pit bull to a rawhide bone. But he got a second life, went out there, and ate Jarrett Jack up as we dominated again, which should make up for it. KEA and Bazz took advantage of their second lives too.

Reaction Score
Really? You don't thinking going 0-12 in a loss to Gonzaga (who was a complete unknown at the time and a 10 seed, in a game we absolutely positively had to win), and fumbling a ball out of bounds up 3 with nobody near him and two minutes left, wouldn't have ruined KEA's rep as a big game player? Think of how Donyell is remembered and multiply it by two or three. That wasn't an off game - that was the worst big game performance by a key player in our entire history, bar none, and Rip saved his bacon by dropping 20+ against a box and one that they could afford to stay with while KEA's testiculos ascended back up into his body for one strange day. KEA wasn't great against Duke either, frankly (six turnovers), but was 1-2 in the last minute and 2-2 at the line, which cemented his reputation.

Bazz wouldn't be Bazz either, without surviving St Joe's. Role player on a NC and two first round losses in winnable games leaves him way out of the Mt Rushmore conversation. He's ahead of Albie Mouring just because of his regular season clutchiness, but not by all that much.

The Duke game was a total aberration for Taliek. He had a ghastly seven turnovers and had more than four in a game once in the entire season up to that point (5 in a double digit win over Miami). But you're certainly right - if we had lost, he'd be the one we pinned it on. And he'd largely deserve it for playing poorly. But the folks who had their minds made up about Taliek and were looking for one piece of evidence to support it during an epic postseason run of dominance and spectacular offensive efficiency would still be clinging to it like a pit bull to a rawhide bone. But he got a second life, went out there, and ate Jarrett Jack up as we dominated again, which should make up for it. KEA and Bazz took advantage of their second lives too.
That's all fair, I agree with you. I just think some people have gone in the opposite direction and tend to overrate Taliek now. He was a solid point guard on our most talented team ever. Most of our teams would need a better point guard than Taliek but he was pretty perfect for the collection of talent we had at the time. He was a very good defender had a good handle and could penetrate, some of our teams needed our point guard to be gifted at putting the ball in the hoop and Taliek clearly was limited in that regard.

Reaction Score
That's all fair, I agree with you. I just think some people have gone in the opposite direction and tend to overrate Taliek now. He was a solid point guard on our most talented team ever. Most of our teams would need a better point guard than Taliek but he was pretty perfect for the collection of talent we had at the time. He was a very good defender had a good handle and could penetrate, some of our teams needed our point guard to be gifted at putting the ball in the hoop and Taliek clearly was limited in that regard.

I can agree with that, too. Even personally, I truthfully appreciate him more after the fact than I did at the time. He was frustrating to watch at times, and I think when my expectations were tempered from "McD's A-A, KEA successor at PG" to "hard working role player", I appreciated what he brought a little more his senior year. He sort of followed the Ricky track for me. And I thought he was brilliant against Alabama (even scoring only two points) to get us to the FF and I was excited for him, and then the Duke game was like a punch to the gut - I was trying to come up with what to say to defend him when it looked like we were in trouble and drawing blanks. But fortunately, his teammates picked him up when he had his stinker, and he got his ring.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Really? You don't thinking going 0-12 in a loss to Gonzaga (who was a complete unknown at the time and a 10 seed, in a game we absolutely positively had to win), and fumbling a ball out of bounds up 3 with nobody near him and two minutes left, wouldn't have ruined KEA's rep as a big game player?
This somehow made me nervous about the outcome of the Gonzaga game 16 years after it was played.

Reaction Score
Taliek was a great defender but Duhon held Duhon in check. The most overhyped player in college basketball history.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Taliek became a great defender over his time at UConn, but wasn't nearly as good as a soph compared to senior year. He may have been the second best guard defender we have had. Ricky was much quicker laterally, but Taliek had the power to get where he wanted to go. He also had a really strong handle and was great at pushing the pace. He was sometimes a freight train out of control, but he got things moving when the other team was trying to slow our guys down. He did not, however, ever get his speed under control like our last three great guards have done. Not in quite the same way, but even Bazz had to dial it back to get in better control.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Taliek became a great defender over his time at UConn, but wasn't nearly as good as a soph compared to senior year. He may have been the second best guard defender we have had. Ricky was much quicker laterally, but Taliek had the power to get where he wanted to go. He also had a really strong handle and was great at pushing the pace. He was sometimes a freight train out of control, but he got things moving when the other team was trying to slow our guys down. He did not, however, ever get his speed under control like our last three great guards have done. Not in quite the same way, but even Bazz had to dial it back to get in better control.
You have to wonder how much of that inability was from coaching and how much was on TB. (See Gurleyman post above).

His sophomore season he got the worse criticism from fans. Played the whole season with turf toe and had the tragic shooting death of his best friend. A lot of fans didn't care. I've had turf toe. It's hard to walk never mind pushing the ball at express speed. Bazz had a stress fracture he played through his sophomore season. Bazz got grief as well. Seems we hate sophomores.

Gave grief to OC, Ryan and now Rodney. All sophomores. Thank goodness for Jerome!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Traci carter don't come to Uconn, if you wanna see why, read the last three pages of this thread... Good luck at Marquette or whatever.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Traci carter don't come to Uconn, if you wanna see why, read the last three pages of this thread... Good luck at Marquette or whatever.
The Boneyard is a place where the fanatic fan tends to hang out. I would wager that every university has its share of OTT fanatic fans. UConn has probably a higher number than many because of their success. But percentage wise it probably is similar throughout the college landscape.

UConn 250,000 fans and 1,000 fanatical whiners
BCU 50 fans and 2 fanatical whiners.
Rutgirls 25,000 fans and 100 whiners.

As an aside it looks to me like UConn needs to reduce the fan numbers in order to get into a major conference.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You have to wonder how much of that inability was from coaching and how much was on TB. (See Gurleyman post above).

His sophomore season he got the worse criticism from fans. Played the whole season with turf toe and had the tragic shooting death of his best friend. A lot of fans didn't care. I've had turf toe. It's hard to walk never mind pushing the ball at express speed!

I thought the turf toe issue was during his senior year - he had hip, back and toe injuries in 03/04.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Funny that we think all players should be automatically dying to come to UCONN. For what, the BY hazing gauntlet?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I thought the turf toe issue was during his senior year - he had hip, back and toe injuries in 03/04.
You are correct. Good memory.

Reaction Score
So much for the recruiting threads being about recruiting. What's going to happen is some recruit is going to commit to UConn and 90 percent of the boneyard are not going to know because they've stopped bothering to check these recruiting threads anymore.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
So much for the recruiting threads being about recruiting. What's going to happen is some recruit is going to commit to UConn and 90 percent of the boneyard are not going to know because they've stopped bothering to check these recruiting threads anymore.
Believe me when a recruit accepts an offer, people in The Boneyard know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom